cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The time has come to replace the cooling unit in my fridge.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Dometic RM 3862 has finally bit the big one after 20 yrs. Can't complain. Anyone done this? I don't want a residential unit so Time to replace. Just wondering what I'm getting into.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds
11 REPLIES 11

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RLS7201 wrote:
JCat wrote:
Go with the Amish unit, best thing I ever did.

I now have frozen Ice cream and a fridge that stays at 36 degress

DITTO!

Richard

Well ours is a JC Refrigeration 12 volt compressor unit, within a couple dollars of the New absorption unit. Our refer is constantly at 33 to 34 degrees, freezer below 10 degrees.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
JCat wrote:

DITTO!

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II

JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just did my Dometic cooling unit. Purchased from RV Cooling Warehouse but came with JC Refrigeration stickers on it.
As others have said, you need help getting it out of and back into the hole, but otherwise a fairly easy process.
I do not have any slides, so my space was tight, but got the refer to the bedroom where I could lay it on its face and complete the work.

Another thing to check when you have the refer out. Insulation of the walls and any baffles to correct the airflow up and around the cooling unit when installed.
One thing that RV Cooling Warehouse suggests is that the Camco refrigerator vent cover does not allow for proper air flow for a Dometic refer. I purchased a Dometic roof vent and cover and you can definitely see the difference in design.
Also consider adding exterior and interior fans.
Good luck with your project.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
I do not have Dometic but Norcold which really does not matter. Two years ago I had the same problem. I did not want to replace the frig just the cooling unit.

I went with JC Refrigeration https://jc-refrigeration.com/

I went with their totally 120v unit as we are plugged in all the time, never boondock.

JC Refrigeration folks are so customer friendly and so helpful it makes replacing the unit almost a pleasure. It took my wife and I about 3 hours total time, as we did it over a couple days. It is really a great DIY project. We had a few hickups along the way emailed JC about problem and got answer within minutes of sending.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If/when mine dies I'll go to a 12 volt cooling unit.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have done a cooling coil replacement on a Dometic RM2652. My son did help me get it out of the camper, but then I did the rest on my own, and he helped me put it back in.

At the time 2018, I bought a new cooling unit from RV Cool. It was better quality than the Dometic I replaced and it cools really cold from the start. I did this for a friend on his 2007 camper when the cooling unit died while in my shop getting water damage restored. RV Cool went out of business; not sure when, but it was after 2018.

If you have hands-on mechanical ability, you can do the changeover. You will need help getting the unit out of the wall cabinet and back in. And in and out of the camper if needed, or it fits through the door. Some replace them in the camper as they will not fit out the door.

The install video from RV Cool is still up and running; this will show you what is involved. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8kBX9LzIJo

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you donโ€™t boondock much, you might consider a 12voltcompressor unit. We got ours from JC Refrigeration. Link

12 volt compressor cooling unit
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Join the club. Our RM 1350 went belly up last October. Nine years & something like 1400 nights on the road out of it.

The nearest Dometic dealer is not even interested in selling & installing a new one, at something in the region of $7000.00. Must be nice to be able to turn away business.

Found a place near Elkhart that is only too happy to help us out with a booked service day to change it out & we can stay in their yard overnight if necessary.

But wait, there is more. They have a RM 1350 that had a minor problem that they fixed & are selling for half price, with new unit warrantee.

Gotta love a small company with a good attitude.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
When my cooling unit went contents up I replaced it with an Amish Built unit. I was seriously impressed by the quality of the replacement.. Alas I can not tell you how long it lasted cause the RV got totaled while parked (not my fault) (Turns out to have been a good thing however as it was about to hit me big time for repairs I ended up not needing) (I did need to do repairs. but not to the RV (I.. (Me, personally) Needed repairs.. The kind done by doctors) (So being parked is good).

The job was not as hard as it appeared. but I did hire a pro to help me.. I would suggest it.

We remmoved the Fridge (A 2 person job) after she dismantled the outer parts. Removed the "Back" (The shell is just Styrofoam) Bolted the new cooling unit on (With some heat transfer compound) and put it back in place.. Fired it up. Solved a problem I did not know about.. Fired it up and went to dinner (She drove I paid) came back and it was already cold inside. Very pleased with the replacement.. think it was better than a new RV unit.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced mine a couple years ago and it was quite easy.
The replacement unit came with step by step easy to follow instructons.
Here is a Utube link to replacing the cooling unit that will give you some idea of what is involved.