cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Domestic frig in 2002.....replacement available??

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brother had his refrigerator coils rust out and was looking for a replacement and cannot find one. Anyone know of a source to find suitable replacement? He found a vendor who sells the coils but $1000+ just for those.
Thanks for any information we can follow to a replacement or repair.
17 REPLIES 17

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep.....that's about all we do is boondock on beaches/islands, but 400watts of solar, 2-100amp BattleBorns, plus generator keeps everything A-OK!

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
VA-Apraisr wrote:
Direct replacement which is propane/electric. He has BattleBorn lithium's like I do but don't need to run it off 12v. Generator available if propane acts up.

I asked as the beauty of the 12 volt compressor unit is better cooling. If you boondock a lot, then it is an additional draw on the batteries.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Direct replacement which is propane/electric. He has BattleBorn lithium's like I do but don't need to run it off 12v. Generator available if propane acts up.

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
VA-Apraisr wrote:
He used the link to order the factory coil pack. Severe rust occurred from beach use and then sitting way too long between uses; the rusted coils broke while driving, so, remove old and install replacement (yet to be done but this is the best solution).

Did he go with a replacement gas/electric cooling unit, or did he opt for a 12 volt compressor unit?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Make sure you clean back of unit good. Chemical reactions can cause other components to fail.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
He used the link to order the factory coil pack. Severe rust occurred from beach use and then sitting way too long between uses; the rusted coils broke while driving, so, remove old and install replacement (yet to be done but this is the best solution).

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
VA-Apraisr wrote:
Thanks ALL for your assistance and especially the LINKS.....my brother found what is needed. This is still the BEST website for help because of ALL OF YOU!!!

What was his solution?

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks ALL for your assistance and especially the LINKS.....my brother found what is needed. This is still the BEST website for help because of ALL OF YOU!!!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Complete replacement 1RM 2652

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, brother gave wrong info. He has a DOMETIC RM2652 refrigerator. It has the separate freezer up top. Looking on Dometic website they only offer 9 models and none appear to have a freezer/frig together...odd? It's in a 2002 Ford E450.

Any specific sources are greatly appreciated.

ronfisherman
Was on my way home from our winter trip when Fridge failed. I stopped at National RV Refrigeration in Shipshewana, IN. Leon and his people replaced the cooling section of my fridge in about 2 hours. They did it inside Motorhome. Put down all kinds of protection down to do the job. They also sell parts and fridges. Give Leon a Call. 260-768-7059
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

katysdad
Explorer
Explorer
Check out these links for some info. Amish built coil may be the least expensive.
Replacing a coil
New coils
Rebuilt units
Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Diesel

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What model of Dometic refer? Knowing what model will give dimensions to give a better answer.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow