cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

California Highway 20 or 299

mamestra
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading home and are trying to avoid the mountain passes between California and Oregon and want to cross over from I5 to 101 and wonder which of these routes is best for us pulling a 40 ft 5th wheel. Thanks Michael
2007 Dodge 3500 Quad 6.7 L Cummins
2012 Montana 3750FL
My mind keeps writing checks my body won't cash.
5 REPLIES 5

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
A quick check of Oregon Tripcheck does show widespread 'chains or traction tires', especially I5 border crossing, but also elsewhere. Even a few hills on 101. So using 20 to get to 101, and staying on that to Washington is the best way to avoid those, at least for the next few days.

Seattle area has predicted snow showers without accumulation Sun, Mon, Tues AM.

mamestra
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your information, the only reason I'm considering 101 is that all of the mountain passes have snow and require chains. I don't have chains and the thoughts of having to pull my 5th wheel up a snow covered pass doesn't sit well with me.
2007 Dodge 3500 Quad 6.7 L Cummins
2012 Montana 3750FL
My mind keeps writing checks my body won't cash.

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
20 is the better road from I5 to 101 BUT 101 drops down to a two lane in the redwoods. Very tight turns and and few places to pull out to allow traffic behind you to pass. Take a look on Google earth to see what you would be driving through.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
From a road standpoint I5 is the best, otherwise 20. 101 is a much slower and more scenic route. The weather this year favors I5.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy. 20 is the best and the better road when towing trailers. 299 is subject to snow currently and is not the easiest road any time.