cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Spectrum Hot Spot

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am having trouble using the Hot Spot feature on my cell phone, I was told that I could use it to get WIFI on my laptop but for some reason my laptop will not show the cell phone in the list of WIFI available.

Any help with this would be appreciated.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo
18 REPLIES 18

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update after going to the Spectrum repair center & they had no idea what the trouble was, I went to a T-Mobile store & they were great with helping me with my problem, so now everything works as it should & I am a T-Mobile customer..Thanks for all the input about this problem...Travel Safe
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might be on to something.. I belong to a couple facebook groups where a lot of folks connect to their I=phones and some radio groups as well.

One of the reasons I have a 'droid I might add

I've not seen anything RECENTLY about upgrades but I tend to gloss over "My I phone won't" posts.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I using Spectrum when all was working as it should..someone did say to me "have you done a phone upgrade?" and the answer is yes...I now wonder if that upgrade had something to do with the problem.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

MrWizard
When previously using the iPhone hotspot
Was this with spectrum phone service or your previous phone carrier service,
Is the iPhone connected to a Cell tower or is it using spectrum WiFi partners for its service,
I'm not sure you can having a working hotspot if the iPhone is using WiFi for its own calls and internet
Try switching to Bluetooth share for internet sharing and see if any tablet or phone with Bluetooth can connect to the iPhone
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Make sure the phone is set to 2.4 G on the hotspot side.
Back when I had Spectrum Internet router here it had one SSID/PSK for both 2.4 and 5GHZ
My printer and smart switches would NOT connnect
My Raspberry Pi's would but... very flakey

Finally I pulled the Spectrum router and took it back to spectrum and told 'em where to shove it (Back into the re-stock room) (What you thought somethign else) And put in a lovely Archer 10 from TP-link.. Two Bands THREE SSID's and up to 3 PSK's (one for 2.4Ghz. one for 5Ghz (with the same or different PSKs) and one for "Guest" (pick a band and a differnet PSK) The printer locked on the smart outlet switches locked on. the Raspberry pi (The one that still uses Wi-Fi) locked on (the others will if I unplug them from the Router's lan ports) and all the computers lock on to either band. The only time I have issues is when I'm recording a new device that configures via Auto-AP type configuration (I connect my phone's ap to the device as though it was a router) the phone has to be connected to the same SSID as the device will connect to.. This is not your problem however as you don't connect the computer that way.

I'd make sure the phone is set to 2.4Ghz for the hotspot and simplify the SSID to get rid of any "Special" (not letters or numbers) in the SSID.

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Laptop is set to 2.4(ghz)...I have used this laptop with the same phone in the past, but for reason now it will not connect now.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are gettng there.. Problem one is I will never have an I-phone.. I do, however, have assorted laptops.

IS your laptop capable of connecting to both 2.4 and 5GHz wi-fi nodes.. If not you must make sure your need to set your I-phone' hot spot to the proper band (likely 2.4Ghz) NOTE 5GHz and 5G are to entirely different things NOT related.

Also as I noted. SOME devices.. Like Raspberry Pi based computers. have a problem with SSID's that containd a comma Like John's Phone... Simplify your SSID to All Alpha-numeric like John12345

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Try restarting both devices?
2014 Allegro 36LA

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Have the hot spot app open when your laptop Searches for wi-fi."
I just tried this & the laptop found my phone but wouldn't connect...said "Can't connect to this network"
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
haste maker wrote:
The phone is a iPhone

So that's the problem
Have the hot spot app open when your laptop Searches for wi-fi. If you do as I do with my 'droid and turn on wi-fi then close the app. the laptop can not find it.

page 2: On some hotspot apps you also need to make it "Discoverable" (a drop down menu option in many cases) or the laptop can not..well. Discover it.

There may be more issues depending on the laptop. For example Raspberry Pi based computers do not like an SSID of Maker's I Phone b(But MakerPhone works fine. Or so I'm Told

Reason # I long since lost count why I DO NOT have an I Phone .

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
But you do have Spectrum mobile service available?

I have all bars on the phone showing it's working.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Latner wrote:
Have you entered the password to connect to your hotspot?

Can't enter password until the laptop list the phone for me to click on to.
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
But you do have Spectrum mobile service available?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
Have you entered the password to connect to your hotspot?