Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smallest Class C that can tow a Jeep

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello,

We are Looking for a small class C or Class B+(under 25ft) that can tow a Jeep Wrangler Sahara.

Any recommendations?

MC
18 REPLIES 18

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Don't get a B+.

No big deal in this part of the world. Even rhe Europeans tow a car behind their Motorhomes

A B+ is much more expensive to buy. A classic case of More for Less.

Agree but the Motorhome in the photo is a Class C

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
RobertRyan wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Don't get a B+.

No big deal in this part of the world. Even rhe Europeans tow a car behind their Motorhomes

A B+ is much more expensive to buy. A classic case of More for Less.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Don't get a B+.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Probably all the class c's can tow a Jeep.

Sprinters and Ford Transits are Class C, but I would not use them for towing ANYTHING!

Why is that? ours tows our CRV just fine. Admittedly they do lack torque at higher speeds, but they tow fantastic. More comfortable and nimble to drive than any gasser we had.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Thor 2023 Chateau 22E with the E350 7.3 Godzilla motor. Overall length is 24'. It is a BEAST and it hauled our '20 Wrangler JLU up and down the mountains easily.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Probably all the class c's can tow a Jeep.

Sprinters and Ford Transits are Class C, but I would not use them for towing ANYTHING!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The Sprinter based RVs are anemic AF in the power department, even past models with the highly revered yet detuned 3.0 diesel.
New models are even lower power. Probably theoretically made up somewhere else in the drivetrain.
But for anemic milquetoast performance, you also get really high priced and harder to find maint and repairs, if thatโ€™s your thing.
Alas, theyโ€™ll tug about any TJ/JK/JL per specs. Just slowly up hills.

If you must go with the โ€œeuro lookโ€, at least find a Transit based rig with the detuned Ecoboost. 300hp/400ft-lbs will absolutely walk any Sprinter up a hill with a load (the only part that matters if itโ€™s towing youโ€™re concerned about).
But why not to get a good old venerable Chevy/Ford chassis with a bulletproof drivetrain and real truck power without all the fanfare?
Cheaper, lower tech, less $ to maint/repair, easier to get serviced if youโ€™re a non diy, proven reliability etc etc.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, it sits at 4300lbs.

Perhaps I should add more context.
We now own a RAM 3500 and a 43ft 5'er. Because of the camping explosion over the last few years, it has become nearly impossible to find sites to camp. We love the space but we just can't fit in many places and there aren't many places available anyways. We actually just use it for 3 months out of the yearly mainly summer to escape the Arizona heat. This takes weeks to plan even a year ahead of time.

We are looking for a small motorhome that we can use year around, that gives us more site availability and can tow outr 4300lbs Jeep. It will be in addition to the 5'er to start and perhaps the only thing we keep after one season.

The requirements are;
- Under 26ft
- Towing 5k or more
- 15k AC
- Queen bed with easy access, preferably permanent (no flip or disassemble)
- Pantry and Ward
- Some outside storage for chairs, bbq etc
- Smallish with decent mpg (not 6-8)
- Preferably usable bed, bathroom and kitchen while on the road or parked with slides in.
- Ford chassis for ease of maintenance

JohninSD
Explorer
Explorer
Have you weighed the Jeep?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't get a B+.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

speediq99
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for all the responses.
It is a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4 door.

We have been looking at Class B+ with Ford chassis but a small Diesel Mercedes Class C seems to give you a little more towing.

It is starting to look like an f450 similar Class C is the way to go.

We have been wanting to keep it at 25-26ft and have the option to bring a toad.

The floorplan we like is the Sunseeker 2400b but that Mercedes may be maxed out with our Jeep behind.

I wonder if such a thing exists or manufacturers just don't overbuild small motorhomes

MC

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
speediq99 wrote:
...a Jeep Wrangler Sahara.

Weights vary quite a bit between the TJ, JK and JL, and 2 door / 4 door for the JK and JL.

Need more info beyond "Wrangler Sahara."
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Like way2roll says, it's just "do the math".
MB Sprinters are close to their GCWR usually when towing something heavier, like a Wrangler, with it's real body on steel frame, pickup truck style of body/chassis.
Note: Your "towed" can't exceed the hitch/drawbar weight capacity either, which is 5,000lbs on most Sprinter 3500 chassis.
I tow a 2016 Wrangler JKU with my 2018 Navion on the 2017 Sprinter 3500 chassis. I'm just under the GCWR, but have a bit of wiggle room.
If you don't want to do the math, buy a Ford based motorhome. They're more forgiving, when towing. :C
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
We tow our 2012 GMC Canyon behind our 2016 24' 2250 Sunseeker on Chevy. The pickup is about 4500 lbs, which is probably similar to many of the Jeeps. The Sunseeker has the 6.0L engine, which is well suited to the task.

Shorter Class C's on GM or Ford chassis are lighter than the longer counterparts on the same chassis, so that leaves even more towing capacity. While most have a 5K towing capacity, many of the newer Fords have 7500K so you can tow those big toys!

Post what you eventually get!
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L