cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maintenance Schedule !

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
As you know the literature that comes with the purchase of an RV is pretty slim and leaves a lot out ! Every year , about April the first, I perform a much needed maintenance chore , changing the " blinker Fluid " . It is easy and examples of how to do it can be found on U-Tube ! You can purchase an 8 oz bottle at most auto stores for less than $10 . I do this every other year although once I went seven years but the fluid that I pumped out was " nasty ". Be sure and put this on your schedule !
10 REPLIES 10

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:

Back in the day I was at work one morning when my wife called. She had taken her 2010 Jeep Liberty to a Firestone location for an oil change. I asked her to have them replace one of the rear blinker bulbs. When I answered the phone all I heard was her voice, angrily, saying...TALK TO THE MAN! The next voice I heard was the Firestone service mgr. greeting me and suggesting that they run...and I kid you not...a blinker system diagnostic for only $29.95. He added that this diagnostic would determine just why the bulb needed replacing and to reveal any other "critical" issues in the circuit. I caught myself starting to laugh...out loud...but I managed to suppress that and suggested that they just replace the bulb and see what happens. That was the last time she took her car to that shop.

My experience with a Firestone store in about 1973 was I needed ball joints, they had about 50k miles on them. Don't recall how many miles I had when I traded the car in but never had a problem. Never been back to Firestone again.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingbob wrote:
As you know the literature that comes with the purchase of an RV is pretty slim and leaves a lot out ! Every year , about April the first, I perform a much needed maintenance chore , changing the " blinker Fluid " . It is easy and examples of how to do it can be found on U-Tube ! You can purchase an 8 oz bottle at most auto stores for less than $10 . I do this every other year although once I went seven years but the fluid that I pumped out was " nasty ". Be sure and put this on your schedule !

I have several cars/trucks and the RV so this is what I buy so I have enough .
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2foll , thanks for posting that , I have been paying for a special product for that ! Also did ya know that Lucas sells a can of ' smoke " so that you can put all that smoke that leaks out of your electrics , just put it back in !

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I perform the same maintenance on all my vehicles but also flush the horn fluid as well. You can use the same fluid.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
An eight oz bottle is ten dollars but I was just in Sams Wholesale and they have a 55 gallon barrel for ninety dollars , that would last me several years !

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm frequently on the road while attending meetings via my cell, usually with wired earbuds (not via the vehicle's bluetooth mic). Of course, they get to hear the "blinkers", as the 1st gen GMC/Chev Canyon/Colorado has a fairly loud "blinker" noise. As the signaling is done by the computer, there is no mechanical flasher to provide the noise.

I've been told more than once that my blinker fluid is low because the clicking is so loud! Thus, that's become the running joke - they know I'm on the road when they can hear the blinker fluid is low.

We blame one of our colleagues; he helped design the GM flasher module while he was employed at Motorola in the late 90's/early 00's. He claims it wasn't intentional; but we think it was designed that way to bolster sales of blinker fluid after the units aged a few years. B^)
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
good for your wife ,like mine she can,t be talked into anything,took three days before she said yes to marrying me 47years ago.just a dealer trying to sell something/

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
My wife also had a auto store episode , Her auto was running funny and I told her to buy a bottle of DRI_GAS to pour in her tank . She called up and said that the auto store laughed at her , she handed the store clerk the phone . What she had asked for was ," powdered gas !

LMAO!!!
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife also had a auto store episode , Her auto was running funny and I told her to buy a bottle of DRI_GAS to pour in her tank . She called up and said that the auto store laughed at her , she handed the store clerk the phone . What she had asked for was ," powdered gas !

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:

LOL...well, what would you say if I said your joke happened to us in real life.

Back in the day I was at work one morning when my wife called. She had taken her 2010 Jeep Liberty to a Firestone location for an oil change. I asked her to have them replace one of the rear blinker bulbs. When I answered the phone all I heard was her voice, angrily, saying...TALK TO THE MAN! The next voice I heard was the Firestone service mgr. greeting me and suggesting that they run...and I kid you not...a blinker system diagnostic for only $29.95. He added that this diagnostic would determine just why the bulb needed replacing and to reveal any other "critical" issues in the circuit. I caught myself starting to laugh...out loud...but I managed to suppress that and suggested that they just replace the bulb and see what happens. That was the last time she took her car to that shop.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle