cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Microsoft 365 removal

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
My Win 11 computer came with a free year of MS Office 365..I don't like it and was very comfortable with Office 2016 on my last PC. I have tried to get an answer for MS for my question, but all they tell me is I can renew 365 for $99... I asked them, "Can I remove MS Office 365 from my Windows 11 system and replace it with a MS Office 2016 Program?" Again they refused to answer but reiterated I can renew 365 when expires and furthermore, everything created in Office using 365 will disappear and cannot be recovered. Anyone removed 365 and replaced it? This appears to be a "Hostage" situation...
14 REPLIES 14

Thermoguy wrote:
Software as a Service (SAS) is the future - happening in every industry.

Office 2016 might not work on a Windows 11 PC. Lots of legacy software doesn't work correctly on newer PC's.

At one point you could buy office or pay the subscription, now I think it is subscription only, but you can buy 1 subscription and run it on multiple PC's.

Luckily, I don't have to pay for Office365 as we are allowed to install up to 20 personal copies of the full version Office 2023 on our personal computers. Included as part of our enterprise subscription.

If I leave, I will still pay for Office365 subscription as it also includes 1TB of OneDrive cloud storage. IMO, a valuable feature.

WIN 10/11 can automatically backup and encrypt your libraries such as My Documents, Desktop, and Pictures to OneDrive. You still have a local copy available, though WIN 10/11 can optionally monitor if you don't access any of those library files regularly and keep the file on OneDrive only. It will remove the local copy so doesn't eat up your drive space. But will keep the file name intact with a cloud symbol. Clicking the file name downloads the file locally. Especially useful if you have a smaller drive on your computer.

Also, you have access to your files from any of your computers or mobile device. If you experience a drive failure or other malware, you can restore and re-sync your library files back to any of your computers.

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
1492 wrote:
No hostage situation, just don't renew your MS365 subscription.

Follow these instructions at Uninstall Microsoft 365 and install Office (2016, etc.).

this ^^^^

I'm still on Win10 (by choice) and removed MS365 and installed an older version of Office. No problems.

Before installing older version , When asked for MS Account info, did you create a new account or use what was already registered?

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
Both our computers that run Windows10 have no problems running MS Office 2003 programs. Yes, I am aware that Microsoft discontinued support of this product.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see no sense in leasing vehicles, as I'm not a company/corporation, and feel the same way about computer software. Not when there are free, or purchaseable, alternatives.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Software as a Service (SAS) is the future - happening in every industry.

Office 2016 might not work on a Windows 11 PC. Lots of legacy software doesn't work correctly on newer PC's.

At one point you could buy office or pay the subscription, now I think it is subscription only, but you can buy 1 subscription and run it on multiple PC's.

Adobe is bringing in more revenue than ever with their subscription model. Users are obviously willing to pay for it if that wasn't the case. No signs of them going under any time soon. Nor I'm guessing Microsoft even if they switched completely to subscription model. They dominate the enterprise environment and will likely continue to do so.

WIN 11 is basically just a rebranded version of WIN 10 with new interface and updated security requirements. The kernel is basically the same as WIN 10 for compatibility reasons. In fact, our chief endpoint support tech says he comes across components in WIN 11 still labeled as WIN 10.

If you're running WIN 10 with hardware that says does not qualify for WIN 11, you can still upgrade it manually. You just can't do an automatic upgrade. In any case, you have until mid-2025 end-of-life for WIN 10 support. The question is whether you want to get WIN 11 while it's a free upgrade, or pay for it later.

There is always a risk of running outdated OS or software no longer supported with security patches. As one might recall the WannaCry ransomware infected over 70% of WIN 7 machines through an unpatched vulnerability. Hackers are just too sophisticated and organized these days. Even to the point of running their own malware cloud services anyone can rent.

MrWizard
Bill Gates years ago stated he wanted to make windows and everything in it, leased software, you don't own the copy of windows 11 on your PC, you won't own office 365 even if you pay for it, Big dollar Bill, wants annual lease revenue for everything .. every year ,
It's going to kill Microsoft just like it killed IBM , to their credit when you leased an IBM computer, they included maintenance and service. Updates etc.. and the machines cost way to much for any but there largest companies to even consider purchasing, Microsoft doesn't own your PC or mine, Most people me included , will not upgrade the version of windows on their PC, what ever it came with we will keep, Bills major income is derived from what MFG pay to include windows on the PCs they sell, we the public spending money for new versions of windows for our PC has really dropped off,$49 for Win 6, yeah maybe, because being a geek, the avg home user Hundreds of dollars for windows 11no way, they just keep using what came on the machine, even gels chops to not buy new versions of windows,
the leasing option for things like "Office" is his way of creating new "renewal" revenue streams,
It's his company and he donates a lot of his personal wealth to good causes, he wants to keep the company prosperous
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with PianoTuna. Open Office. FREE!!
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

DD716TED wrote:
...everything created in Office using 365 will disappear and cannot be recovered.

Only if you saved those files on your !TB OneDrive account. Just move those files (or copies) to your local HD/SSD to retain them. You always have a choice to save MS365 files to your local computer if you wish.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:

Follow these instructions at Uninstall Microsoft 365 and install Office (2016, etc.).

this ^^^^

I'm still on Win10 (by choice) and removed MS365 and installed an older version of Office. No problems.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Like you I went from an older Office to 365 on a new computer. Then started getting messages that it would expire soon and I could renew for $99. And later started getting messages that it had expired and certain features (or functions or something) would no longer work, but I could renew. Still havenโ€™t renewed. But have yet to figure out what no longer works. But I donโ€™t use it a lot. And really donโ€™t have anything I canโ€™t afford to lose. So I guess I will continue to coast.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I don't know the answer, but I've had great success using "Open Office" from Apache.

I have not used Office 365.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I removed the 365 and installed Softmaker FreeOffice.
Right click on Windows button, Click on "installed Apps", find 365 and delete
Install FreeOffice first

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker