cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just curious

mattyj
Explorer
Explorer
I never drink the water from my fresh water tank even if I sanitized it with bleach , bottled water only . Anyone out there drink the water out of their fresh water tank??
2006 Ford F 350, 6.0 PSD 8 Foot Bed 4x4 with Torklift Tie downs ,Stable Loads ,rear Helwig Swaybar,airlifts 5000 , Method 305 HD rims . 2019 Adventurer 89 RBS, slideout, Generator
57 REPLIES 57

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
The taste of water often has little to do with the quality and safety of drinking that water. We also get used to the taste of water in our area and don't care for the taste of other water.

In addition to taste, a Brita or other filter will greatly reduce any risks of giardia or other contaminants.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Been drinking fresh tank water since 2007 and still ticking. I will say if the water doesn't taste good, I'll buy bottled water. At this point in life, I figure age will get me before the water does.
C'est la vie

Jlschuma
Explorer
Explorer
I drank out the hose when i was a kid!
I will drink out of the water tank no problem. I have a brita to take out any taste ๐Ÿ™‚ Bottled water is great but space is a premium and the tank is already there.
2000 Toyota Tundra
1990ish Shadow Cruiser pop up truck camper

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
JKJavelin wrote:
Ok, since we have at least one water expert here: Are all filters created equal? I have a filter system from the RV Water Filter Store which uses a 1 micron sediment filter, and a .5 micron carbon filter. Are the ones from a cheaper source inferior?
Same question regarding residential fridge water dispenser filters. Thanks
JK

depends on a few things as I found out when I was building Reverse osmosis filters for saltwater fish tanks. are the 1 and 0,5 micron absolute or nominal? and is the carbon a "carbon block" filter or just a "carbon" filter

an absolute filter will block 99.9% of particles above its rating whereas nominal will only block about 80% of the particles above their rating.

for the carbon. A carbon block is made by grinding carbon into very fine powder then compressing it into a block and will provide much greater filtration than a granular carbon filter, but the granular will provide higher flow at a cost of filtration.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

PERFECT!!!!!!

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like everything else, the cost of a filter might not be related to the quality or function.

The filter you chose depends on what you are trying to accomplish. There are filtration systems designed to remove sediments, organic molecules, and even iron. Ion exchange filters can remove heavy metals and other ions and replace them with sodium and chloride ions.

I have gotten by without any filtration for 2 years of full time use and many years of extended use of my RV. I only had an issue one time with water full of sediment. I had checked in advance and avoided using that water even though it meant moving on a bit sooner than I had planned.

If you do want to have a filtration system, consider a main filter to remove sediment. I would make sure it does not remove chlorine which would put your water system at risk of bacterial contamination. For drinking water I use a Brita partly because the cartridges are readily available. There are several other final filters that are probably better but it can be difficult to find cartridges while traveling.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
Ok, since we have at least one water expert here: Are all filters created equal? I have a filter system from the RV Water Filter Store which uses a 1 micron sediment filter, and a .5 micron carbon filter. Are the ones from a cheaper source inferior?
JK

While I wouldnโ€™t claim to be โ€˜expertโ€™ on anything, understand that activated (by high heat) carbon is very good - it derived from various substrates and will remove organic and VOC compounds as well as chlorine, so definitely great bang for the buck!!โ€ฆUV light (often redundant) will take care of organic matter as wellโ€ฆTo take it even a step further requires reverse osmosis (invent by NASA for submarines), which will purify water down the the level of an ion, meaning down to the level of a charged particle or atomโ€ฆ

(โ€ฆFWIW, Water in itโ€™s purist form is considered to be a solvent - for instance pure rain water (say, as it precipitatesโ€ฆ) partially combines with atmospheric carbon dioxide to become slightly carbonic (forming carbonic acid) by the time it finally hits the ground - this, a natural earth process (even more so in highly industrial CO2 emitting areas - results in what is called โ€˜acid rainโ€™โ€ฆsomewhat of misnomer in my view..), so by the time the water percolates into the ground and migrates to municipal treating, it etches minerals from rocks to then be reclassified as โ€˜hard waterโ€™ - the clean water solvent effect (both absorbent and adsorbent) is highly beneficial at resolving toxins (via exosome transfer to interstitial fluids) within the bodyโ€™s cells (e.g. 70% intra-cellular water content)โ€ฆ.)

Some folks donโ€™t like the taste of R.O. water because itโ€™s devoid of minerals, though many bottlers of such (โ€˜R.O.โ€™ processed) will reintroduce certain minerals (e.g. magnesium, calciumโ€ฆ) to restore a more naturally occurring flavorโ€ฆ.Back to your question, activated carbon processed water is good (mainly in my view) because it removes chlorine which is another (though often necessary in municipal sourced water) toxinโ€ฆ

Though a bit off-topic:Z, hope this kinda helps shine a light on your immediate questionโ€ฆ

3 tons

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Why does this thread make me think of Adam Sandler?

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
notsobigjoe wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
3 tons wrote:
Careful Mark, you might โ€˜triggerโ€™ him - lol ??!!

3 tons

I don't think he has been "Un triggered" for the last three months :B

Just because the BS meter gets pegged full tilt by so many of the responses here is not an indicator of how I feel. Itโ€™s just that so many of yโ€™all are either knowingly or unintentionally largely full of sheet.
And that doesnโ€™t help people here with honest questions or issues that they are looking for help withโ€ฆ.

I wholeheartedly agree! We can't have a discussion about water without it going south. Same old argument in almost every post on the truck camper forum. It gets old. Sorry if I rustled some feathers... Cheers! LOL

Sounds to me more like a recruiting call for a speech moderator (aka, opinion โ€˜gatekeeperโ€™), some โ€˜special personโ€™ capable of calling out balls & strikes on opinions and of possible โ€˜ill intentโ€™ :h , good luck with that, because (based upon some memberโ€™s provocative historicityโ€ฆ), who here can claim they are worthy of a waiver??โ€ฆ.Iโ€™ll also add here the obligatory JMO - time to grow up or simply โ€˜tune outโ€™โ€ฆ

3 tons - Living in โ€˜Realvilleโ€™โ€ฆ

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
:B

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
3 tons wrote:

3 tons

Just because the BS meter gets pegged full tilt by so many of the responses here is not an indicator of how I feel. Itโ€™s just that so many of yโ€™all are either knowingly or unintentionally largely full of sheet.
And that doesnโ€™t help people here with honest questions or issues that they are looking for help withโ€ฆ.

I wholeheartedly agree! We can't have a discussion about water without it going south. Same old argument in almost every post on the truck camper forum. It gets old. Sorry if I rustled some feathers... Cheers! LOL

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
3 tons wrote:

3 tons

LOL!!

- Mark0.