Explorer II
Explorer II
This is my system...

570w solar panels (parallel)
?2 100ah BB lithium (parallel) (12v)
Victron smartsar 100/50 controller
Renogy battery monitor
Renogy 2000w inverter

Victron goes through bulk mode until it reaches absorption V, then goes to absorption mode for 1 hr (recommended by BB), (highest V I have seen on the monitor during absorption mode is 13.5, while mppt reads 14.4)then it goes to float (mppt reads 13.6v, monitor reads 13.4v), the amps never go down to 0, it sticks around at 2-4 amps. So to me it seems batteries are never "fully" charged?

V always drops to 13.2(something) v when it gets dark. According to charts I have seen that is only 70%!
ALSO, discharging amps at night seem really low....TV, inverter on, led lights on, it shows - 1.8 amps, how can that be?

Here is a "drawing" of my set up....

My 12v System
2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie,SRW,CTD,4x4,Long bed
2020 Jayco eagle ht 274ckds

My Adventure Blog:
https://roaddivaontheroad.blogspot.com/2020/03/getting-ready.html
44 REPLIES 44

Y-Guy
OP has said it's fixed. Closing this thread off.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting,I will have to look on my Victron controllers for that dial switch I don't remember seeing...Even so,the #7 setting would change to whatever setting that is set in the app..As to the opp..Each battery brand I have,has a somewhat different resting voltage and for one set,13.2+ is the norm..

Victron wrote:
Default settings for LiFePO4 batteries
The default absorption voltage is to 14.2V (28.4V, 56.8V) and the absorption time is fixed and set to 2 hours. The float voltage is set at 13.5V (27V, 54V). Equalization is disabled. The tail current is set to 0A, this so that the full absorption time is available for cell balancing. The temperature compensation is disabled and the low temperature cut off is set to 5. These settings are the recommended settings for LiFePO4 batteries, but they can be adjusted if the battery manufacturer specifications advise otherwise.

The Victron default 2 hour absorption time seems excessive for daily charging so the smart app gives the option to change the settings to whatever is best for your particular battery which differs between brands.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Her controller is 100V and I don't recall the panel Voc being stated so series connection may or may not be possible. Use Voc and not Vmp for the input voltage calculation.

My 3 panel Voc is about 120V and the controller is 150V. Serial panels with bypass diodes are a winner!
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Many of the MPPT charge controllers are designed to have several panels in series, hopefully they are the same watt rating panels? So one I have now is rated at 150 to 450 volts input, and I have 2 KW of 250 watt panels for my house, and the plan is 8 each 33 volt in series, and 8 amps. Output can be 48 volts in my case, or 12 volts in your case.

I would check the panels and charge controller input limits, and see if you could wire them in series, there will be less voltage drop into the charge controller. It seems to be working normally. Your RV is drawing about 1.8 amps to run things like the LP detector, refrigerator, and so on. The battery is getting about 2 amps, the RV is using 2 amps, the total of the solar output is about 2 amps because the battery is mostly full.

Now if your battery was reaching 12 volts or less by morning, then ask what is wrong. If it is 12.5 volts, everything is fine.

If you use more than about 50% of your battery power each night, then I would expect it to stay in the absorption charge rate for a few hours each morning. But if you only use 25%, then it will quickly top off the battery, like what you are seeing.

I think everything is fine.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
Following the thread and would like to know what the resolution was.
I too am getting ready to do the FWC/AGM conversion to Lith batt's.
Glad you got it resolved.

Jim.
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, I just now took a moment to slog thru the BB link, and one should be advised that this link covers ONLY the bluetooth software programming, NOT hardware settings, thereby (BB) totally negating Victronโ€™s black & white โ€˜explicit instructionโ€™ to set the rotary switch to #7โ€ฆIn this regard, chemistry is chemistry, BBโ€™s are not specialโ€ฆTo avert such understandable confusion, BB would do better to have pointed this software vs hardware distinction out, so therein lies the sum total of your difficultiesโ€ฆ

3 tons

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 tons wrote:
Yep I believe Iโ€™m right, yet you dismiss how BB had pre-programmed my Victron, though I hadnโ€™t requested it (great customer service!!)โ€ฆI only took my limited time to write to help lead you outta an apparent chosen state of purgatoryโ€ฆ My solution is Victronโ€™s solution and is your EASY solutionโ€ฆ

3 tons

Well you were wrong and it is now all fixed!

Happy trails ๐Ÿ™‚

My Adventure Blog:

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Yep I believe Iโ€™m right, yet you dismiss how BB had pre-programmed my Victron, though I hadnโ€™t requested it (great customer service!!)โ€ฆI only took my limited time to write to help lead you outta an apparent chosen state of purgatoryโ€ฆ My solution is Victronโ€™s solution and is your EASY solutionโ€ฆ

3 tons

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Make sure you get a clampon meter that measures both DC amps and DC volts. Amazon has one for $30. Many are for home use and don't measure DC amps.

Verify your various meter readings and if you truly have 0.9V difference between the MPPT output and the battery at 4.5A then there is as they say "There is Trouble in River City". Saying this and hoping that the wiring is not compromised or some factor... Not suggesting otherwise and there could be an equipment issue...
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

campermama
Explorer II
Explorer II

Trust that whatever they suggest in writing (?? - link doesnโ€™t work) is entirely superfluous to me, as I donโ€™t lend it any more credibility than that which Victron recommends, and as I stated (consider re-reading?โ€ฆ), BB had opened the box and pre-programmed the charge controller for the LiFePo4 algorithm - per Victronโ€™s manual and handed it to meโ€ฆThis was a physical โ€˜in storeโ€™ transaction, and Iโ€™ve had a grand total of ZERO issues, so do whatever you like, but itโ€™ll never work properly until you realize that Victron knows their product and they state that the rotary selector needs to be on #7โ€ฆ

BTW, thereโ€™s nothing special about BBโ€™s or anyone elseโ€™s lithium LFP chemistry (Lithium is what it is, periodโ€ฆ), the primary difference is in cell grade quality, cell type ( pouch, prismatic, or cylindricalโ€ฆ), warranty (you get what your willing to pay $$ forโ€ฆ), and assemblage technique, while BMSโ€™s all do about the same thing (i.e. catastrophe avoidance)โ€ฆTrust, that thereโ€™s no โ€˜magic secret sauceโ€™ involvedโ€ฆ

3 tons

Wow! Everybody has their own opinion! And apparently your is the right one (so you believe). I am in contact with both Victron and BB so we'll see what they say.
Meanwhile...I was just basically looking for maybe ideas what could be the problem, I'm not an expert at this but I do feel I have a good understanding of this stuff, pretty good for being female and fixing all my own stuff.

My Adventure Blog:

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Manual_SmartSolar_MPPT_100-30__100-50/en/configuration-and-se...
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Go to section 5.1 and 5.1.2 (see table #7), then follow what Victron advisesโ€ฆTo stray away towards some errant โ€˜alternate stratagemโ€™ is the root of your charging problem, but then again, trust that I respect everyoneโ€™s own innate โ€˜free agencyโ€™โ€ฆ

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Manual_SmartSolar_MPPT_100-30__100-50/en/configuration-and-settings.html

3 tons

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
https://battlebornbatteries.com/programming-a-victron-smartsolar-charge-controller
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
campermama wrote:
3 tons wrote:

Well I find that rather odd since I live near by and was at BattkeBorn when they handed me my victron charge controller and theyโ€™d advance pre-programmed it for exactly what the Victron user manual called for, and mine works perfectly - it must depend on which day of the week you speak to the BB fellaโ€™s - I donno?โ€ฆ

3 tons

Here it is...

=https://battlebornbatteries.com/programming-a-victron-smartsolar-charge-controller

Trust that whatever they suggest in writing (?? - link doesnโ€™t work) is entirely superfluous to me, as I donโ€™t lend it any more credibility than that which Victron recommends, and as I stated (consider re-reading?โ€ฆ), BB had opened the box and pre-programmed the charge controller for the LiFePo4 algorithm - per Victronโ€™s manual and handed it to meโ€ฆThis was a physical โ€˜in storeโ€™ transaction, and Iโ€™ve had a grand total of ZERO issues, so do whatever you like, but itโ€™ll never work properly until you realize that Victron knows their product and they state that the rotary selector needs to be on #7โ€ฆ

BTW, thereโ€™s nothing special about BBโ€™s or anyone elseโ€™s lithium LFP chemistry (Lithium is what it is, periodโ€ฆ), the primary difference is in cell grade quality, cell type ( pouch, prismatic, or cylindricalโ€ฆ), warranty (you get what your willing to pay $$ forโ€ฆ), and assemblage technique, while BMSโ€™s all do about the same thing (i.e. catastrophe avoidance)โ€ฆTrust, that thereโ€™s no โ€˜magic secret sauceโ€™ involvedโ€ฆ

3 tons