cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck tires

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
I've had very bad luck with tires on my dually due to separation issues. I'm only getting 15k to 20k before this happens and 3.5 to 4 years. I only have the camper on the truck about 3500 miles a year, and the truck is always in the garage if the camper is off which is most of the time. The camper is a 2000 alpenlite 1150 limited, and weight is around 4800 lbs ready to travel. Sticker on the camper states 3600 lbs. I've owned this camper since 2004 and had the rig on the scales back then. I remembered I was under the capacity then however I'm unable to locate the form now. I plan to have it on the scales on my next trip, but thats not till august. The tires have all been E rated and are run at the 80 psi cold while carrying the camper monitored with a TSP system. The first set were BFG commercial. The second goodyear wrangler. I have a lesser name brand on the front WEstlake that are 5 years old and appear to be wearing well, they were the only one available at the time I had a failure while traveling. Wondering if others have had issue and what brand seems to be working for others.......Thanks
25 REPLIES 25

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
GTO66 wrote:
I'll give serious thought to increasing the size to a 235. I did that once but was concerned it lessen the space between the duals,and I believe the small space now is causing excessive heat. Also wonder about clearance issues on the front..... Thanks

You can use dodge rims. Look at the offsets. There’s dually wheels that fit 235/245 width tires just fine If the old GM rims are too narrow. Or not enough offset.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put Michelin or Bridgestone/Firestone tires on your truck. My 2015 GMC 3500 dually has a AF 990 that weighs 4500+ lbs and my original Michelins will go 50k miles easily.

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
I'll give serious thought to increasing the size to a 235. I did that once but was concerned it lessen the space between the duals,and I believe the small space now is causing excessive heat. Also wonder about clearance issues on the front..... Thanks

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
My 2002 dually came stock with 235/85/16 which care 3042 lb versus
the 215/85/16 which is a little over 2600 lb. I
am always told when looking for tires I have the wrong
size on my truck but my door sticker says different.
235'may give you more capacity and will still fit. Just a thought.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

B-n-B
Explorer III
Explorer III
GTO66 wrote:
As far as posting photos may be easy for some. Just like rebuild a Pontiac engine is easy for me...

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=3
2019 Chevy 3500HD LTZ DRW
2021 Lance 975

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No pics needed. As identified earlier, a big part of the issue is, you’re running those little tires to death IMO. Combined with either some bad luck, bad roads or cheap tires.
You have a repeatable problem it seems so I’d expect to have to change something to achieve different results.

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
The truck is a 2003 3500 ext cab two wheel drive diesel dually. Running stock size tires 215/85R16. I only had one front tire seperate,that was a BFG.rest have been on the rear. I thought about going to a large tire,but was afraid it would make the rear space even closer. Since three of the four rear are new replacement Goodyear and the other has 15k I'm just staying with them for now. As far as posting photos may be easy for some. Just like rebuild a Pontiac engine is easy for me...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Yeah those little tires get overloaded pretty quick.
Stepping up in tire size is generally always preferable for heavy loads. As long as they fit and you can pull em.

vern_kelly
Explorer
Explorer
10-4 Mr. Gritdog,

Maybe the OP has had some bad luck as I did for several years and is frustrating.

Fortunately my tire failures were detected by vibration from the bulge in the tires or by inspection at a stop and pulled off before they blew. Always on a rear tire either side. Had a series of this problem ( maybe 4 times over 5 years) only during the summer hot months with camper on) with Goodyear Wrangler and Remington tires not bought at the same time. I believe Remington was also made by Goodyear at the time. Running Hankook the last 6 years with no problems and now on my second set using the new tire pressure gauge over that time frame.

Don't trust the cheep gauges and cross check between gauges. Insist on steel valve stems. Check the TP first thing in the morning before the sun hits them. Inspect at stops. Avoid potholes! Good luck with that.

80 lbs per tire gives about 280 lb extra carrying capacity on the rear axel vs 75 lbs per Goodyear chart on my stock 245/75/16 E rated tires. 6084 vs 5800. These tires were widely used on class C motorhomes as well in a dully configuration.

Next truck will be a dually and of course a heavier camper!
1998 2500 Dodge V10 3.55 Quad cab. Lance 5000 camper 9'10" and tow 17.5 ft Larson Boat

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I'm keeping a list of recommendation, and will add Sailum if they offer a road tire.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
GTO66 wrote:
Guess l was hoping to get a consensus on the best available tires to use on a dulley carrying a 5000 lb TC. I'll probably look into the Toyo brand for my next set. I believe heat could be causing most of my separation issues as in summer months as read on my TST monitor I can see Temps reaching 110 degrees with pressure rising at least 10 to 12 percent. A few months back I opened the trunk of a car I own to find a BFG TA exploded Tire was 6 years old with very few miles used as spare,also vehicle is always garaged. I tried to post a photo, but couldn't. I'd be happy to email or text the photo to anyone to post. Just private message me..... So its my opinion most if not all tires are not made well these days. Just read trailer or class A form...

Wow! Honestly you may just be on a slow roll of bad tire luck! (No pun intended, lol). Seriously. Doesn’t sound like you’re doing anything wrong.
Although do take a moment to figure out what % of rated capacity you’re running, especially the steer tires on the dually.
Im not very tire paranoid in general, but you don’t say what tire size you have on the truck. And you could be right on the cusp if you’re running 16s and have 215s on it.

I’ve beat enough tires to death to form my opinion that I don’t believe there is a marked difference in quality between any of the popular brands. I’d feel the same about running Toyo, Nitto, Cooper, Goodyear, General, etc. But adjectivally, Toyo is top of the heap imo.

For pics google Rvnet Photo Posting. Then you can select a pic a couple ways and then copy the link and paste it into your post. It’s clunky but easy.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
My last 3 sets of tires have been Sailun terramax AT's I moved from BGF all terrain ta's to them and couldn't be happier. I get about 10000more miles of tread life out of the sailunes, better traction in the winter, they handle the water on the roads better and run a little quieter on the highway. oh, and there less than half the price.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
Guess l was hoping to get a consensus on the best available tires to use on a dulley carrying a 5000 lb TC. I'll probably look into the Toyo brand for my next set. I believe heat could be causing most of my separation issues as in summer months as read on my TST monitor I can see Temps reaching 110 degrees with pressure rising at least 10 to 12 percent. A few months back I opened the trunk of a car I own to find a BFG TA exploded Tire was 6 years old with very few miles used as spare,also vehicle is always garaged. I tried to post a photo, but couldn't. I'd be happy to email or text the photo to anyone to post. Just private message me..... So its my opinion most if not all tires are not made well these days. Just read trailer or class A form...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Respectfully, 4 psi cold didn’t make any discernible difference in tire capacity, causing tread separation.
Any of those hot Cali afternoons you reference, rolling down the highway, your 76psi cold (thought to be 80) tires were well over 80psi at that time n place.
Pressure varies approx 1 psi for every 10degF and at least 1/2psi per 1000’ elevation change.

And the tires’ max rated capacities are generally (always) reached at max rated pressure.

Although to your point, since heat raises pressure, and less pressure = more heat, if you were having heat issues causing the separation being overinflated may have helped. But we’re splitting hairs now.
Objectively though, I have spent a lot of miles in company provided half ton trucks doing things that should be done by 3/4 ton trucks. And most new pickups especially the fleet specials come with the cheapest tires possible, off the assembly line.
When I’m on the OE set of tires on a newer half ton, and saddle it with a load that is over the rated tire limits, tire squishes and gets quite warm/hot after being in use at highway speeds.
Same tire, typically a 45-50psi rated tire, if aired up to a pressure that takes the static deflection out of it, runs notably cooler.
Have put on a fair amount of heavy load miles with 1/2 ton truck rear tires aired up 10-20 psi over max pressure rating, running cool without issue.
Not recommending it per se or at all, to others, but it’s evidence that more pressure reduces heat.
A little beyond the original discussion I know, but good info imo for those who may not realize it.