cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight question

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2023 Winnebago View on the Sprinter chassis. A Winnebago sticker on drivers door says the max weight is 13,300lbs. A sticker next to it lists the individual max axle wieghts. These add up to about 12,200lbs. A recent CAT scale weight shows I have about 500lbs spare capacity on each axle. Total weight is 11,100lbs. My question is what max weight should I use? Seems a bit confusing.
8 REPLIES 8

Cruisineasy
Explorer
Explorer
Also check the weight ratings on your tires. Even if the GVW on the sticker is correct, you may have different tires on your rig. The tire rating may be less.

Cruisineasy
Explorer
Explorer
Also check the Max weight marked on the tires.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fortunately the rear axle in its entirety and the chassis is capable of more than the 7700lb rating. However I’d imagine if you’re over gross rear axle rated weight, your springs may be frowning a little at you!
Also fixable.
If you’ve got 3000lb+ tires and not some tiny pizza cutters you may have more than sufficient tire capacity as well.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
two travelers,

I second rjstractor comments.

If the numbers you stated are the numbers inside the rig, they differ from the Winnebago website. Here's the chassis specs for the 2023 Sprinter View.

These specs show a GVWR of 11,030 lbs., front axle rating of 4410 lbs. and rear axle rating of 7,720 lbs. Total axle weight rating is 12,130 lbs. It is not uncommon for the GVWR of the vehicle to be less than the combined GAWRs. Mine is that way. (For ours, the sum of the axle ratings is 22,500 lbs. (8,000 + 14,500) while the GVWR of chassis is 22,000 lbs.) It allows for more flexibility in loading the rig to avoid overloading an axle.

By the way, it's also not uncommon for a rig to exceed its GVWR even when lightly loaded. If the stats on the website are correct, then you're slightly over the GVWR. Not so much as to be worried about, but I wouldn't consider adding much more. Your weight also suggests that your true towing limit is about 4,000 lbs., and every pound you add inside the rig should be taken off the tow rating.

Perhaps you should give Winnebago a call and ask them to confirm the ratings shown in your rig. Or ask them to correct their website. 🙂

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
That is odd. Winnebago's website shows your GVWR as 11,030 lbs., which makes your rig scale out at 70 lbs overweight. Mercedes website shows a slightly heavier duty version of a cab and chassis than the Winnebago specs with a GVWR of 12,125, still well short of 13,300. Winnebago, as the manufacturer of the completed vehicle, could have certified the motorhome at a higher GVWR, but that seems unlikely given that their website shows the View having a GVWR of 11,030. Are you certain on your numbers?
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
That's very strange. Usually the sum of the axle weights is equal to or greater than the GVWR.
The answer to your question is your not supposed to exceed axle or GVW ratings. If the don't match DOT looks at axles on commercial vehicles. No one will ever check you. I think you're sticker is wrong or you read it wrong.

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
I would err on the safe side, and not exceed the axle weights.