cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Valve stem extenders for inner wheels (DRW)

ognend
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone recommend a good product for a dually inner wheel valve stem extender? What are the downsides of using any of these, if any? Thanks!
--
2021 Chevrolet 3500 DRW Cab&Chassis crew cab 4x4 6.6L gas with 9ft4" flatbed
2013 Palomino HS-2910 Max truck camper
2007 Double D all steel 2-horse bumper pull trailer
34 REPLIES 34

ognend
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
This is what I use. Just aired up today for the trip North tomorrow. EEZ-PEE-ZEE.

Last pic, love the screw on caps with check valve.

Much obliged, Sir!
--

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have those screw-on thingies, but that is exactly the chuck I use on my dually. Makes a pretty easy job out of it. I just have to find the darned things first, but after that no issues. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
OPPS
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is what I use. Just aired up today for the trip North tomorrow. EEZ-PEE-ZEE.

Last pic, love the screw on caps with check valve.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Owned a RAM Dually since 2012. I have the stock valve stems and see no reason to add extenders!!!

Use the proper double ended air chuck and life is GOLDEN.

X2. I just ensure that the inner stem is accessible through a hole on the outer wheels when installing them. I usually put them at 180 degrees from the outers to keep them consistent on both sides and they are easy to check. My Ram also has the "valve caps" on the inners where I don't need to remove the caps to check pressure or add air; just stick the gauge or chuck on and all is good. It really isn't difficult to do if they are installed correctly.

Discount Tire "Usually" gets the 180 offset correct but once it was a real struggle to get the guy to comprehend the logic!.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ognend wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:

You probably don't need to buy another compressor. The chuck most likely just screws on and you can buy an adapter from any decent hardware store that will allow you to change chucks easily for less than $20.

Thanks. I will try that first.

1 of my hoses had the chuck molded to the hose. Few seconds with sharp knife had the chuck off. Trip to plumbing supply store, (hardware store would of had it but I prefer to walk a few blocks instead of driving to other side of town) picked up barbed fitting to screw chuck to.
When I'm shopping for chuck, I look in the end. Best if it has small groves inside. Look like threads, except oversize and not spiral. With those groves you can push it on the valve stem and the weight of it will hold it on. Big tires/small pumps, this is important.

ognend
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
ognend wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Carry your own air compressor with the ability to change chucks. Not that expensive and it keeps you from being at the mercy of whatever air compressors you can find. A hundred dollars or so for your own compressor is chump change considering what you have.

I do carry it but I don't think it will accept different chucks. I agree with you - will just buy a proper portable compressor that does. Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚
You probably don't need to buy another compressor. The chuck most likely just screws on and you can buy an adapter from any decent hardware store that will allow you to change chucks easily for less than $20.

Thanks. I will try that first.
--

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
ognend wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Carry your own air compressor with the ability to change chucks. Not that expensive and it keeps you from being at the mercy of whatever air compressors you can find. A hundred dollars or so for your own compressor is chump change considering what you have.

I do carry it but I don't think it will accept different chucks. I agree with you - will just buy a proper portable compressor that does. Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ognend
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:

--

ognend
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
ognend wrote:

The problem is - I have a portable compressor (the kind that connects to tow vehicle battery) - and that one does not really accept different chucks etc. Also, how is a long chuck going to help me if I have to air my tires at a gas station while traveling? Unless I am not understanding something here...(there might be a language barrier, I live in the States but am not American by birth so not sure if I understand what a "chuck" is). Thanks.

I call the piece that attaches to end of hose, locks on valve stem the "Chuck"
Now as for the "not really accept". I have that kind of compressor in pickup and DW's car. But mine where made by man, not created by a god. When I tested both would pop off as soon as I let go of it. Man made it, I paid for it, so I have no issues changing it. (I don't use a quick-couple, only because I only use for tires. I want the chuck to be on hose so don't want to look for it.
As for air at gas stations; In the area you travel will the station compressor work when you need it? And if it works, will it put out enough pressure to air your tires? And do it without overheating/shutting down? (I have tried to use them on bicycle tires. Success was limited to the point I carry a hand pump now). If your tire takes 50PSI and pump maxis out at 60, it will take a long time to inflate tire. Plus the issue, you drove to station on under-inflated tire, so no longer cold. What pressure you set it to?

Thank you for taking the time to explain. I am a fluent English speaker but sometimes uncertain of "technical" terms ๐Ÿ™‚

When hauling my truck camper on the flatbed (and I always have the horse trailer in tow with the camper since we camp with our horses only) - my rears are at max pressure - 80psi - I am almost at GVWR for my vehicle fully loaded/hooked up. As you suggest - I think what I am going to do is get a proper portable compressor to take with us - one that accepts different chucks :).

Thank you!
--

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Owned a RAM Dually since 2012. I have the stock valve stems and see no reason to add extenders!!!

Use the proper double ended air chuck and life is GOLDEN.

X2. I just ensure that the inner stem is accessible through a hole on the outer wheels when installing them. I usually put them at 180 degrees from the outers to keep them consistent on both sides and they are easy to check. My Ram also has the "valve caps" on the inners where I don't need to remove the caps to check pressure or add air; just stick the gauge or chuck on and all is good. It really isn't difficult to do if they are installed correctly.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ditto,
150 PSI compressor as I run 125 PSI in the trailer tires, and have several different chucks and plenty of air line.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
ognend wrote:

The problem is - I have a portable compressor (the kind that connects to tow vehicle battery) - and that one does not really accept different chucks etc. Also, how is a long chuck going to help me if I have to air my tires at a gas station while traveling? Unless I am not understanding something here...(there might be a language barrier, I live in the States but am not American by birth so not sure if I understand what a "chuck" is). Thanks.

I call the piece that attaches to end of hose, locks on valve stem the "Chuck"
Now as for the "not really accept". I have that kind of compressor in pickup and DW's car. But mine where made by man, not created by a god. When I tested both would pop off as soon as I let go of it. Man made it, I paid for it, so I have no issues changing it. (I don't use a quick-couple, only because I only use for tires. I want the chuck to be on hose so don't want to look for it.
As for air at gas stations; In the area you travel will the station compressor work when you need it? And if it works, will it put out enough pressure to air your tires? And do it without overheating/shutting down? (I have tried to use them on bicycle tires. Success was limited to the point I carry a hand pump now). If your tire takes 50PSI and pump maxis out at 60, it will take a long time to inflate tire. Plus the issue, you drove to station on under-inflated tire, so no longer cold. What pressure you set it to?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"