cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh water tank support

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
I've been reading on a Winnebago site about water tanks having insufficient support and actually hanging down from the trailers. I checked other brand sites and see the same issues. Mostly in smaller trailers. Has anyone had experience with this?
6 REPLIES 6

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Sunset Creek 2008 289BHS and it was about to fall out a few years ago. A piece of 7/16 " OSB across the frame rails was all that was holding 45 gals up (375 lbs). I upgraded it with steel straps screwed in place and 5/8" plywood. I also included plastic strips between the board and tank to allow air circulation and drilled a few weep holes for condensation drainage. Even now 10 years later, I keep and eye out for sag in the underbelly. Better get a look at it before bad things happen.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

RickCamping
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 30' toyhauler (bumper pull) that also had fresh water tank issues.
1) From the factory the straps holding it up were not equally spaced so the tank would bulge pretty badly where there was a larger gap between straps. I ended up buying some square metal tubing from a home improvement store and bolting it to the frame to more fully support the tank.
2) After several trips I was filling up the fresh water tank at home and had one end of one of the straps break loose - they held up the factory straps with self tapping screws and this one was put too close to the edge of the frame metal and just broke out. I replaced the self tapping screw with a bolt and nut.
It has now been holding up fine for 2 years.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a 2009 Open Range 385RLS. It had an 85 gallon fresh water tank. Luckily they placed it right over the axles. When it dropped it didn't go far enough to break anything. Seems a factory worker took it upon himself to use the same self tapping screws they use to hold the coroplast up to screw the metal strap tank supports to the frame. It was pretty evident this was not as designed when I saw the drilled holes in the frame an inch from where the screws pulled out. I easily installed bolts in the holes using the same straps and never had another problem.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have not had this happen to me, but have read of others, on these forums having experienced this problem. Certainly tank quality, and the way they are supported varies.

You need to look at your tank when empty, and again after filling full. Many of these fresh tanks will balloon when full, and distort along the support edge. Most also have flimsy support straps to help hold.

If YOURS looks GTG when filled, no sag, I'd not worry about it.

Jerry

morphrider
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2015 crossroads z218-TD that the tank dropped on me going into Wyoming. Ratchet straps got me to camp and home, after that I added more bracing across supporting it better. When filling it I always seen it drop some but didnโ€™t know any better at the time. I donโ€™t notice it on our Grand Design upon filling this one but I might add more bracing as a preventative measure.