cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F53 trailer hitch

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. Looking to change out my hitch. 2012 F53. There are 2 that will work, but the one I like hangs lower than I would like, but is made better.
They are Curt 14048, rated for 10k lbs. this one is built the Best but the cross tube hangs low. The other is Curt 14082 and is a specific fit for the F53 but it looks exactly like what I have now. Both are rated for 10k lbs. I won’t be towing anywhere near that, just want something better than the cheap hitch FR installed.
And yes the rear frame extension have been strengthened. So it will handle a couple thousand more than what is rated for. Also, there won’t be any tongue weight, maybe a bike rack and a toad!
Has anyone used either of these? Any comments on how these fit, (hang low on the rear).
Thanks!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
7 REPLIES 7

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok so here are frame rail extensions and Forest River reinforcements. As you can see they did a very good job in the installation and the welding. I just crossbolted them for a bit more strength. Didn’t get the new hitch out on as it came the day we were leaving, but I felt comfortable for he short tow home.

Towed my truck home from Illinois State University. MH did very good with the truck. Had a very strong east crosswind. Trans even stayed in OD with no hunting between gears. I did notice that it downshifts a bit sooner at overpasses. We had 3 extra people on board, full water and the truck had full fuel as well as about 150lbs in the bed. We will see how it does in 2 weeks.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know about the light duty stuff, but I do know on the larger trucks you can buy a lot of steel that has near the same cross section but is not near as hard as Ford truck frame.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
Blackdiamond wrote:
If changing I would have a custom hitch made, standard ones may or may not work with an RV chassis because the RV company usually add an extended frame to the F53.

Yes they add extensions. But the dimensions are exactly the same as the Ford frame. In fact from the drivers seat back the chassis is an F550. The F53 comes in as an incomplete chassis. So an F550 hitch will bolt up. Although Etrailer does offer a MH specific hitch for the F53 chassis. So it will hand about 2.5” lower than the RV specific hitch.

Exactly, the extensions and everything should be beefed up if you are looking to upgrade the hitch. That is why you should go custom.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Blackdiamond wrote:
If changing I would have a custom hitch made, standard ones may or may not work with an RV chassis because the RV company usually add an extended frame to the F53.

Yes they add extensions. But the dimensions are exactly the same as the Ford frame. In fact from the drivers seat back the chassis is an F550. The F53 comes in as an incomplete chassis. So an F550 hitch will bolt up. Although Etrailer does offer a MH specific hitch for the F53 chassis. So it will hand about 2.5” lower than the RV specific hitch.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
What's wrong with the stock hitch? Adding a bigger hitch won't necessarily add more towing capacity. Depends on a lot of factors.

The OE hitch is marginal at best at 5k lbs. I have the capacity to tow 6500lbs. I would just like to upgrade it for the improved capacity and overall stronger hitch. The rest of the MH is up to the task!

Yes I know about frame rails, gearing and such!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
What's wrong with the stock hitch? Adding a bigger hitch won't necessarily add more towing capacity. Depends on a lot of factors.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS