cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge fall camping?

Quadcab
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking for feedback from others about the best time to take our RV down to the Smokies and camp for a week or two. Last time we visited was the summer of 2019 and the weather was at least 90% humidity with 95 degree temps EVERY day. We love the area, and are wondering if we would be happier staying there the months of September/October??? We could also go in May, but the fall would be best for us personally. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't there be a bit less traffic & congestion camping when the schools are open?

Also, what RV campgrounds would you recommend? We stayed in one just off the main road to the National Park last time but would prefer somewhere quieter & more scenic this time around. All comments from experienced campers would be appreciated!
Quadcab
2018 Titan XD 5.6 V8 Kingcab
2018 PT Crusader Lite 28RL
14 REPLIES 14

rbtglove
Explorer
Explorer
We have not been at Twin Creeks recently but the free bus stops there and will take you on a scenic shopping loop where you can buy some neat homemade things. Also the campground is close to other shopping and downtown,
Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at Twin Creek RV Park just outside Gatlinburg...I liked that there is a stop for the Gatlinburg Trolley just at the entrance. For less than $1 you can take the trolley to town if you prefer not to drive. I can't remember what they are, but the trolley will take you to other destinations...you can google to see their schedules.
Most of the time when we go to the Smokies, we stay in Maggie Valley at Stonebridge RV. The park is nice with a stream along the back and a large open field if you have dogs. From Maggie Valley, it's a relatively short drive to Cherokee and a pretty waterfall along the way.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Anchor Down. Great high end park with beautiful views of Douglas lake and the mountains. It's in a rural area and very quiet. Maybe 15-20 miles to the forge and all the 'action.

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
Quadcab wrote:
Looking for feedback from others about the best time to take our RV down to the Smokies and camp for a week or two. Last time we visited was the summer of 2019 and the weather was at least 90% humidity with 95 degree temps EVERY day. We love the area, and are wondering if we would be happier staying there the months of September/October??? We could also go in May, but the fall would be best for us personally. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't there be a bit less traffic & congestion camping when the schools are open?

Also, what RV campgrounds would you recommend? We stayed in one just off the main road to the National Park last time but would prefer somewhere quieter & more scenic this time around. All comments from experienced campers would be appreciated!

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken56 wrote:

I am surprised to hear Anchor Down is not a quiet campground. It is very rural where it is located. I live closest to this one and go by it frequently. Through the summer camping season it is always full. It has beautiful views of Douglas lake and Douglas Dam and the mountains. It is a high-end CG.

I didn't mean to suggest that it's loud, by any means. Its just a large, popular, kid friendly, resort style campground. We love it, we've stayed there twice now. It just sounded like the OP wanted more of a park like setting, whereas AD is more of a resort style.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Up the Creek is a good choice. Haven't stayed with them but am familiar and it is a great location and has rave reviews Yes, I've been by it but I live around this area and really have no need to go camping 30 miles from home. I do check out the CG's for others though so I can at least have some opinion of them.

I am surprised to hear Anchor Down is not a quiet campground. It is very rural where it is located. I live closest to this one and go by it frequently. Through the summer camping season it is always full. It has beautiful views of Douglas lake and Douglas Dam and the mountains. It is a high-end CG. Pigeon Forge also has a Margaritaville resort now too and the hotel amenities are available for campers use. It is a nice place. You can check out The Ridge RV park also. It is close to Dollywood. The TVA Headwaters and the Tailwater CG's are W/E only with dump station available. The Headwaters is the nicest. Tailwaters is below the dam and is on the river and is a little more rustic.

Kids in TN go back to school mid August and traffic is always heavy no matter the season. The weather in October is less humid but Mother Nature is fickle. Last year our weather was really pretty good as far as heat and humidity and so far this year it hasn't gotten to 90 yet like some years have. Roll the dice. Come and enjoy.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
September you can still be hot and humid. That's life in the mid-Atlantic! Later September into October should be gorgeous. Might be chilly, so buy some firewood.

We have stayed at Anchor Down twice and love it, but it is NOT a quiet campground. It is a resort style. Plenty of great views of the Smokys over the lake.

I haven't stayed there, but they have two campgrounds at the Douglas Dam. One is the headwater campground above the dam. They have water/electric sites. https://camprrm.com/parks/tennessee/tva-6/douglas-headwater-campground/?it=parks/douglas-headwater-campground/
They also have the tailwater campground, just below the dam and around a corner. It is right on the river below the dam. https://camprrm.com/parks/tennessee/tva-6/douglas-tailwater-campground/?it=parks/douglas-tailwater-campground/

Very pretty area!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I to miss understood "leaf peeper" when I first moved down here. 4 wheelers have nothing to do with it. Its the fall colors of the leaves as they change in the fall every year. Camp grounds are full for about a month - 6 weeks as the city folks come to the mountains to see the trees change. I was in a camp ground near Linville a couple of years back and 3/4 of the RVs there were from FL. I tried to get a campground in Western MD for this Oct 2023 in Dec 2022 no luck, leaf peepers. I ended up in Gettysburg, PA. So Halloween, & leaf peepers dominate that time of year along the Blue Ridge mountains

Moochie
Explorer
Explorer
Does "leaf peeper" mean mainly 4-wheelers, or mostly RV campers? Are the camp sites pretty crowded in October or not so much?

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
I vote for the โ€œ Halloween โ€œ season, but as already mentioned thatโ€™s leaf season. You better start calling now for reservations and good luck. As for where to stay, I vote for Up the Creek. There is also a very new Margaritaville rv resort. We havenโ€™t been there but I hear itโ€™s really nice.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
We visit that area a lot and on down to the Hendersonville, NC area. Plenty to see and do. Just remember that the time you mention is "leaf peeper"season so the area is usually crowded.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Up the Creek looks like a great place. Keep in mind, the campground has no bath houses if that's an issue. We stay in Townsend, and really like Big Meadows Family Campground. Little Arrow and the KOA are nice.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have stayed at Up The Creek and it was awesome. In my opinion sites 16, 17 & 18 are the best. There is an entrance to the park that you can use which does not require you to go into Pigeon Forge ot Gatlinburg, so little traffic.

I use to live in East Tn. and would vote for October. Schools will be in session but you will run into lots of traffic due to Fall season.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Living in Branson MO which has the same wounderful humidity as the Pigeon Forge area I totally understand. We in fact travel north from mid June to mid Sept. to get away from the humidity. This year we are spending the time in your "mitten" starting with the thumb and ending on the west side.

Anyway we are stopping in the Pigeon Forge area on way home. I saw alot of posts of different places to say. As FHU rvers most state parks are out. Never staying here but reviews and location made sence to me. We are resting the tires at Up The Creek RV park https://www.upthecreekrvcamp.com/

As for the timing most of the humidity will be gone by September as will the kids.

Good Luck enjoy
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly