cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air Bags for my Gulfstream

jnoflane2
Explorer
Explorer
I have the little 24' 6237LE by Gulfstream. It is built on the Ford E350 chassis and has the Ford Godzilla V8.

I recently added a motorcycle carrier, that I can slip into the receiver hitch to haul my motorcycle, and I am not exceeding the weight limits. But, it really sags the back of the camper, especially when I am carrying a full load of fresh water and the black/gray tanks are around 1/2 full.

Additionally, this past weekend I purchased a Car Hauler (16', 10k), which will carry our Jeep Wrangler and a Motorcycle. The Airlift should help to level and stabilize the towing of the trailer.

Having installed two AirLift systems on my pickups, I love those units and they have performed for me excellent for years. So... I contacted them again, to solve for my Class C. I received the unit today and will be installing this coming weekend.

If anyone has any tips on the install on an E350, I am all ears.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/vehicles/ford/e-350-super-duty/e-350-motorhome/2019/

Thanks, John

2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6237LE
w/ Ford 7.3L V8
11 REPLIES 11

jnoflane2
Explorer
Explorer
Skid Row Joe wrote:
I've got some rugged after RV manufacturer's aftermarket flimsy airbags failed on my '02 Ford 24' 7.3 Powerstroke E450. I wish I remembered the brand and online source for the beefy aftermarket brand airbags I then procured. They've held up for a lot of years now, and, a lot of miles. If they ever fail, I won't know their sourcing.

Do you have brakes on your #10K capacity car hauler trailer? Your trailer loaded, seems 70% of your coaches weight. Is that safe even with trailer brakes? Just wondering. ??

Yep... Four massive brakes on both axles of the trailer. Gotta have that towing the mountains in Colorado.

I always tow with full tank of fresh water, which adds another 400lbs to the rear RV axle, but also makes it more planted and stable.

I should also mention that I installed massive, after-market anti-sway bars (Hellwig), and that snugs the rig down as well.

Love my setup and the Godzilla V8 is a beast. Never a lack of power, even with the loaded trailer.
Thanks, John

w/ Ford 7.3L V8

jnoflane2
Explorer
Explorer
Skid Row Joe wrote:
I've got some rugged after RV manufacturer's aftermarket flimsy airbags failed on my '02 Ford 24' 7.3 Powerstroke E450. I wish I remembered the brand and online source for the beefy aftermarket brand airbags I then procured. They've held up for a lot of years now, and, a lot of miles. If they ever fail, I won't know their sourcing.

Do you have brakes on your #10K capacity car hauler trailer? Your trailer loaded, seems 70% of your coaches weight. Is that safe even with trailer brakes? Just wondering. ??

The motorcycles are up front and the FJ Cruiser has to be a little to the back. Measured tongue weight was about 8% of total. That is too light, despite it being about 650 lbs.

The equalizer snug it down and it towed perfectly on my first tow, about a month ago.

===============================

Regardless, I installed the Airlift, airbag system for the E350. It is a HUGE game changer... Love having the system. Since I am riding on 'air', the ride is so much smoother and more planted.
Thanks, John

w/ Ford 7.3L V8

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jnoflane2 wrote:
Ok, we just returned from our first trip, pulling the auto hauler trailer, with the motorcycles and FJ Cruiser. Even putting the water jugs and spare tire up on the tongue, I was only able to get a tongue weight of 625lbs. For 10% I needed right at 700lbs. The trailer pulled very well, until I got above 65 mph and then I started to get a tiny bit of sway. We got home safely, but I promptly hit Craigslist and found a 1,000 lb Equalizer hitch for $250. It was an older unit that had rust, but very little wear/usage. I tore it down today, used a wire brush and sand paper, but have it ready for fresh paint and new hardware.

So you have more than one motorcycle and a large vehicle on a flatbed trailer and you can’t get enough tongue weight? Maybe show how you loaded it. Because that doesn’t sound right.
But I thought your question was how to install airbags tips (not sure why it’s a question especially after saying how many you’ve installed in the past, lol)?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jnoflane2
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, we just returned from our first trip, pulling the auto hauler trailer, with the motorcycles and FJ Cruiser. Even putting the water jugs and spare tire up on the tongue, I was only able to get a tongue weight of 625lbs. For 10% I needed right at 700lbs. The trailer pulled very well, until I got above 65 mph and then I started to get a tiny bit of sway. We got home safely, but I promptly hit Craigslist and found a 1,000 lb Equalizer hitch for $250. It was an older unit that had rust, but very little wear/usage. I tore it down today, used a wire brush and sand paper, but have it ready for fresh paint and new hardware.
Thanks, John

w/ Ford 7.3L V8

jnoflane2
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Just s thought.

https://www.weigh-safe.com/

An adjustable receiver head will level an empty car hauler.

Use a tongue weight scale while loading it.
‘Knowing the hitch weight’, which will change if you haul various cars or add and subtract weight in the rear of the tv.

Not that its a bad idea but you might not need the WD hitch. Adjusting the load front to rear on the car hauler will alter the needed tongue weight to the 10-15% mark. This can be done easier on a car hauler opposed to a travel trailer that you as well as myself are accustomed to.
This might be easier if you haul the same stuff all the time using the same hauler trailer .

I think your suggestion is critical, especially on a car hauler.

I purchased and use this scale....

Tongue Weight Scale

And I doubt I will drop the coin for an Equilizer, but I may get some basic sway control.
Thanks, John

w/ Ford 7.3L V8

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just s thought.

https://www.weigh-safe.com/

An adjustable receiver head will level an empty car hauler.

Use a tongue weight scale while loading it.
‘Knowing the hitch weight’, which will change if you haul various cars or add and subtract weight in the rear of the tv.

Not that its a bad idea but you might not need the WD hitch. Adjusting the load front to rear on the car hauler will alter the needed tongue weight to the 10-15% mark. This can be done easier on a car hauler opposed to a travel trailer that you as well as myself are accustomed to.
This might be easier if you haul the same stuff all the time using the same hauler trailer .

jnoflane2
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
I use an Equalizer hitch, which includes Anti sway system, towing our car to Florida, and also my Antique Tractors. The set-up works nice.

Equilizer is what I used on both my RV camper trailers. Hadn't thought to use it on a car hauler, off a Class C.

I will ponder that......
Thanks, John

w/ Ford 7.3L V8

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I use an Equalizer hitch, which includes Anti sway system, towing our car to Florida, and also my Antique Tractors. The set-up works nice.

jnoflane2
Explorer
Explorer
I do not use the compressor or onboard inflation/deflation systems. I install the Schrader valve, where I air up and deflate like a motorcycle tire. I have never had any problems and I have had one system on my 2014 Ram1500 since it was new.... nearly ten years.... still running great and kept its 25psi all winter this year, since my last adjustment, 5 months ago.

Thanks, John

w/ Ford 7.3L V8

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tried the AL wireless compressor and ended up having the AF dealer remove the whole system. It leaked and kept cycling to refill the bags. The dealer tried for two days to locate the leak with no luck. We replaced every component. AL was of little help.

In order clear my driveway apron , I was trying to gain some ground clearance from an already level motorhome which it did not do. The AL system on my Ford would only lift a sagging rv back up to level, which will work for you but did not for me. But the wireless system seems to have flaws. I would go manual.