cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lightweight, 6'5 Headroom, shower, 90's-2010's, suggestions?

new_bug
Explorer
Explorer
I would appreciate ANY suggestions on specific models/brands to keep an eye out for- used, affordable, OLDER campers... with at least 6'4 /~194cm headroom (interior height).

I would strongly prefer NO basement (don't need big tanks) and something without a slideout. Will be hauling it on a 3500 dually now (with flip out brackets)- but honestly, definitely want to downsize truck significantly in the future -so something as compact/light as possible ("1/2 ton capable" or at least shortbed with tailgate down) ---that still checks off these boxes would be a significant bonus, as in we would hold onto it long term instead of temporarily..
-6'5+ headroom
-bathroom/inside shower
-no basement, ideally

No real brand preferences & have started our search- been looking up a bunch of different options but not always finding headroom readily listed in specs.. have gone to look at 1 or 2. Of course I understand maintenance/upkeep most important. . Want to keep it under say $10k- some projects ok/expected of course... Although it's been awhile since I've had a truck camper, I'm not a total newbie - many years in an adjacent marine service industry. So very mechanically/DIY minded.

If you have any specific recommendations, general brand trends, or other relevant thoughts I'd greatly appreciate your response. thanks in advance!
13 REPLIES 13

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good luck to both of you. Youโ€™re both sort of looking for unobtainiumโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

new_bug
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, while I keep my eyes out for a Lance squire light 165/ Lance 185 or perhaps one of it's slightly larger (or newer) brothers...

ANY input on HEADROOM on any of the following , or similar that meet somewhat similar criteria (with their smallest non-pop up models),

I suppose I'd still pull the trigger on something with a dry bath& outdoor shower if the headroom and cabover sitting headroom was there. And a basement wouldn't necessarily be a dealbreaker either.

S&S
Six-Pac
*Sunlite
Shadow Cruiser
Pastime (some do seem to have a bathroom)
Coachman
Capri
Fleetwood Angler (not a fan of the company as far as holding up goes, but if one had better than average maintenance over the years it would still be a possibility).

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
new_bug wrote:
Thanks! I am reading these, appreciate it, and any more options that happen to come to mind would be great!

Are the lance 150/ 185/ 195 lite the same range as 'lance squire lite' ?

I understand of course it's just a matter of whatever happens to come along on the used market, BUT if there are any that are guaranteed to be / likely to be a better fit - that means we could increase the search radius for something that is more likely to check off all these boxes

Yes, they called them Squire Lite for a few years and then just Lance Lite afterwards. Marketing names. I like the roofs of Lances from this era as they were aluminum, easy to maintain and very durable. I still see a lot of these old Lance campers plying the roads.
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at the Capri Lone Star yet?

https://capricamper.com/models/lone-star/
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lance have all their old brochures online for you to look at:
https://www.lancecamper.com/owner-support/
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

new_bug
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! I am reading these, appreciate it, and any more options that happen to come to mind would be great!

Are the lance 150/ 185/ 195 lite the same range as 'lance squire lite' ?

I understand of course it's just a matter of whatever happens to come along on the used market, BUT if there are any that are guaranteed to be / likely to be a better fit - that means we could increase the search radius for something that is more likely to check off all these boxes

B-n-B
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lance 815 might work.
2019 Chevy 3500HD LTZ DRW
2021 Lance 975

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
Look at mid 90s to early 2000s Lance Lite 150, 185 and 195. I am searching for one of these myself as I no longer have an HD Truck but have a heavy hauling RAM 1500. The 150 is 6'3" ceiling height and the other 2 are 6'6" and have showers. Old Lance brochures are available on line. They are a great resource. Just search " 1995 Lance Brochure" for example. Some of these are lighter than the Lance 650.
Good luck in your search!
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out Northstar Campers 6'4" headroom. Been real happy with mine. Good luck in the used market...
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Host made some light model TCs years ago, but I don't know how tall they were. In my experience, basement model ceilings are taller inside.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sounds like youโ€™re searching for a board stretcher or a sky hookโ€ฆ lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Not in the years your looking at but Northern Lite made a taller ceiling in 2011 in some of their TC's.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/heads-up-northern-lite-raises-the-roof/
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
All I can say is, good luck. And, learn to duck because I don't think you're going to find a camper with "cathedral ceilings."

When you're talking about 10-30 year old campers, it's more about what's out there than any specific brand or model. If it's solid and water tight, it doesn't matter what brand it is.

There's the standard answer of "Four Wheel" and "Capri" but good luck finding a used one of those for sale, and I don't think you're going to find one with extra head room.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.