cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No more training wheels

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
So my 2012 RAM 3500 was in the shop for two weeks with a P0420 CEL. Turns out that it had to do with a cat, and the part was on back order, not scheduled for release until late August.

I spoke with two technicians about the likelihood of it being troublefree between now and then, and was less than reassured by both of their responses - โ€œmaybe, but if it collapses on itself the truck will not have enough power to move far on its ownโ€. Looked into aftermarket options, but I live in an emissions testing county and the great state of Colofornia will not allow any non OEM parts for emissions compliance.

With a 3000 mile round trip pulling the RV was literally a day away, I quickly went on a new truck search. I can tell you from my experience, there is still a significant shortage.

I used the RAM build a truck site, and searched a 100 mile radius from
Denver. My criteria was pretty simple. RAM 3500, HO engine, crew cab, Laramie or better trim, 50 gallon fuel tank, 5th wheel prep package. I was open to 2022 or 2023 trucks. My search only resulted in a very small handful of trucks available (if I was open to Tradesman trim, options would have been much better). I then started calling dealers to see who was willing to sell on the EP program for a truck on the lot, and that narrowed my choices much further.

Found a dealer 100 miles away that had a truck that met the criteria (Laramie trim, technology group with adaptive cruise and the advanced tow package in a long bed). I left the house at about 1000 am, did the paperwork (which took much longer than I thought it should) drove it to an RV dealer near home, getting there about 30 minutes before they closed), picked up a new Anderson ultimate hitch that uses the goose neck in the prep package), hitched the trailer, and headed towards Portland.

We drove over 1300 miles in a day and a half, all around the Portland area, and then back in two days. Here are my observations.

Without question, this is the biggest upgrade Iโ€™ve ever experienced in a vehicle. There simply is no comparison between my 2012 and this 2023. Out trip took us up I80 to I84. While there are not any hills like I70, we still encountered some grades, although you hardly knew it with the Cummins/Aisin. Itโ€™s simply impressive.

Love all the cameras and the adaptive cruise. Wish I could have got massaging seats. I also miss my auxiliary fuel tank. Even with my relatively small 12,000 pound trailer, stability in the old DRW was better (especially when we encountered winds around the Columbia gorge). I still am happy we got a SRW - itโ€™s nice to run it through a car wash instead of hand washing.

I am sure I have some upgrades in the near future. I put running boards on the truck on Sunday. Clear bra and window tint Thursday. Probably need air bags and maybe bigger tires. Who knows what else.

My anticipation was to keep my last truck for another 100,000 + miles, but so far I have no regrets that I was forced to upgrade.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010
63 REPLIES 63

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
Congratulations on the new truck; it looks like a beauty! I would be a bit worried if I could say no after trying out a new one too. :B How does the fuel economy compare to your last truck?

Was it the DPF that you could not get for your 2012? I am still running stock emissions at this point, but there is no emissions testing in my area (for now at least) so I would probably delete if I had issues.

Thank you for your detailed post and experience. I totally agree with a DRW being much more stable when towing after having towed the same trailer with both a SRW and DRW. As long as I have a large fiver I will definitely have a DRW.

I intentionally stayed away from a dealer just because I didnโ€™t want to be tempted. When the fuel pump went out on my truck last year a buddy let me borrow his loaded Brand X and it really didnโ€™t get me excited. Was nice but not what I wanted. This truck is just different for me (maybe part of that is rationalizing such a large purchase).

I think the MPG is going to be a fair amount better. My 2012 wasnโ€™t good. 14 mpg solo is about all I ever saw. Towing my 5er and sometimes my fishing boat at around 70 it would get 8ish. Towing my surf boat it would get 8 at around 80 MPH.

I have about 3000 miles on the truck now, all of that towing the RV through Colorado/WY/ID/OR at speeds between 75-80 (I donโ€™t like to tow the RV that fast but t needing to do 1500 miles on a day and a half forces your hand). It got around 9 MPG doing that except when I was bucking a wind and then it was 7.

My problem was the truck needed something with the cat. If I lived somewhere that didnโ€™t have emissions testing I would have cut it off the truck and would still be driving it.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
" As long as I have a large fiver I will definitely have a DRW."

GOOD CALL!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on the new truck; it looks like a beauty! I would be a bit worried if I could say no after trying out a new one too. :B How does the fuel economy compare to your last truck?

Was it the DPF that you could not get for your 2012? I am still running stock emissions at this point, but there is no emissions testing in my area (for now at least) so I would probably delete if I had issues.

Thank you for your detailed post and experience. I totally agree with a DRW being much more stable when towing after having towed the same trailer with both a SRW and DRW. As long as I have a large fiver I will definitely have a DRW.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BioMan I suggest you add a supporting pc like I detail in pic below.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I don't need an air ride hitch. I have a air ride truck and pin box, also fore and aft cushioning.

Yes we all know . :B

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't need an air ride hitch. I have a air ride truck and pin box, also fore and aft cushioning.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cptnvideo wrote:
I'll keep my Hensley BD-5.

That is a QUALITY air ride hitch.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Good lord, you B&W fanbois need to take off your blinders once in a whileโ€ฆ.

It must REALLY kill you that the Andersen is rated for more weight than equivalent B&W.
Doesn't bother me at all. I know my B&W can handle the weight it's rated for, never seen one fail. Andersen? Maybe not so much. ๐Ÿ™‚ Unless you like that "custom bend". ๐Ÿ™‚

It's their folding model. :B

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
Good lord, you B&W fanbois need to take off your blinders once in a whileโ€ฆ.

It must REALLY kill you that the Andersen is rated for more weight than equivalent B&W.

Please tell me what I said that was not true???

Remember you wanted a B&W.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's just your idea of prudent, and my idea of prudent are many, many dollars apart. If they were the same price, I would likely consider an air ride hitch. But I sold my last Companion, and bought the one I have now from a guy, and I spent a total of about $100 difference. The B&W does a great job, and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. It's top quality equipment, it's just a couple thousand dollars less. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
No hoist needed. Just let the trailer landing gear do the work.
We're full-timers and I don't see a need to remove the hitch from the truck.
Hitched up 41 times last year.
As full-timers, I think it is I prudent to buy top quality equipment.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
You need a hoist to take it out of your truck???

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
"You get what you pay for." A good saying, often true! However a fool and their money...well you know. ๐Ÿ™‚

The BD-5 is a good hitch, can't deny that.

Jerry

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
Cptnvideo wrote:
I'll keep my Hensley BD-5.
Yeah, I think I'll keep my $3,000. ๐Ÿ™‚ Even with diesel prices where they are, that will buy a fair amount of fuel.

You get what you pay for.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah