cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30 amp camper/50 amp plug and cord

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a Puma 25BHFQ. One A/C and a 30 amp camper in every way but the plug and cord are 50 amp. Must I always use an adapter or can I plug into 50 amp if available? Thanks. The camper is on a permanent site with a 30 amp plug. I'd like to eliminate the adapter by installing a 50 amp plug.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS
23 REPLIES 23

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, Bobbo
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JBarca wrote:
Cptnvideo wrote:
JBarca, are you saying there are 2 A/C breakers (both turned on) but only one A/C unit?
Sounds like someone could get electrocuted.

I also think you meant a 30 to 50 amp adapter. Putting a jumper between to 2 hots on a 50 to 30 amp adapter would create a major issue.

There may be a play on words, yes, there is only one AC unit on the camper. Yes, there are 2 circuit breakers for 2 AC units as shown on the power panel tags, and yes both are flipped on.

And while they may have run the wire through the camper for a second AC to later add a 2nd AC, that does not mean the wire is connected to the breaker. Keystone made the camper, why they did not label the 20 amp breakers as living area AC, and the other, a future Bedroom AC , I have no idea.

To the 30 to 50 amp adapter, I was referring to a 30 amp male plug on one end and a 50 amp receptacle on the other end, which has the jumper between the 2 hot wires on the 50 amp receptacle end to the one 30 amp hot wire.

This is what Camco calls the 30amp to 50 amp, it is just they do list it as 30M to 50F with the male and female called out. https://www.camco.net/adapters-dogbones/power-grip-18-30am-50af-dogbone-adapter-125v-3750w-cetl-5518...

Re-reading what I posted, while I did call out that the 50 amp end receptacle has the jumper, I may have mixed up the 50 to 30 generic wording. Thanks for pointing that out. I will correct the post to make it more clear. Not sure how you assumed the other way around, but I can see it now being miss read that way. I'll fix it. Thanks

Roflmao. You are very helpful but being a try hard sometimes. This is one of those times.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terry 25 wrote:
Bobbo: Is your answer still "Yes"? Thanks again to all who replied.

Now my answer is "(expletive deleted) YES"!
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll: Your picture is my plug. I didn't realize the metal insert was the ground. Thank you. So the cord has a 50 amp plug on each end. Sorry, but posting pictures is above my posting skills.

Bobbo: Is your answer still "Yes"? Thanks again to all who replied.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terry 25 wrote:
OP here. Power cord is 50mp at the pedestal end and a 3 prong twist lock at the trailer end. Main breaker in camper is 30 amp. Since the trailer is on a permanent site I'll just continue to use the 50/30 adapter.

The question remains, hypothetically speaking, if I was on the road could I plug into the 50 amp receptacle on the pedestal without damaging my trailer
I thought 50a twist lock on an RV had three blades and the ground as a side contact.
Are you sure it is 30? Picture might help.

50 amp:

Maybe you want this adapter? https://www.valterra.com/product/mighty-cord-30amp-50-rv-detachable-power-cord/

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terry 25 wrote:
The question remains, hypothetically speaking, if I was on the road could I plug into the 50 amp receptacle on the pedestal without damaging my trailer

Yes.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Power cord is 50mp at the pedestal end and a 3 prong twist lock at the trailer end. Main breaker in camper is 30 amp. Since the trailer is on a permanent site I'll just continue to use the 50/30 adapter.

2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cptnvideo wrote:
JBarca, are you saying there are 2 A/C breakers (both turned on) but only one A/C unit?

I also think you meant a 30 to 50 amp adapter. Putting a jumper between to 2 hots on a 50 to 30 amp adapter would create a major issue.

There may be a play on words, yes, there is only one AC unit on the camper. Yes, there are 2 circuit breakers for 2 AC units as shown on the power panel tags, and yes both are flipped on.

And while they may have run the wire through the camper for a second AC to later add a 2nd AC, that does not mean the wire is connected to the breaker. Keystone made the camper, why they did not label the 20 amp breakers as living area AC, and the other, a future Bedroom AC , I have no idea.

To the 30 to 50 amp adapter, I was referring to a 30 amp male plug on one end and a 50 amp receptacle on the other end, which has the jumper between the 2 hot wires on the 50 amp receptacle end to the one 30 amp hot wire.

This is what Camco calls the 30amp to 50 amp, it is just they do list it as 30M to 50F with the male and female called out. https://www.camco.net/adapters-dogbones/power-grip-18-30am-50af-dogbone-adapter-125v-3750w-cetl-5518...

Re-reading what I posted, while I did call out that the 50 amp end receptacle has the jumper, I may have mixed up the 50 to 30 generic wording. Thanks for pointing that out. I will correct the post to make it more clear. Not sure how you assumed the other way around, but I can see it now being miss read that way. I'll fix it. Thanks
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad

Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Terry 25 wrote:
Just bought a Puma 25BHFQ. One A/C and a 30 amp camper in every way but the plug and cord are 50 amp. Must I always use an adapter or can I plug into 50 amp if available? Thanks. The camper is on a permanent site with a 30 amp plug. I'd like to eliminate the adapter by installing a 50 amp plug.

You need to call an electricianโ€ฆ.
But yes if you wish you could install a 50A receptacle and only use 3 poles of it, it would just be weird and unique and useless as an actual 50A rv power source.
But, like the last guy from a thread a few weeks ago, sounds like you need to verify whatโ€™s going on with your situation.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Terry 25 wrote:

You didn't say what year the new to you camper was or if it was used and brand new. I'll add a few comments to attempt to help the cause.

I have seen new campers (2019 and newer, at least) wired and corded with a 50 amp shoreline cord and 4-prong plug with only one roof AC unit.

I "think, (not knowing for sure) this is a sales tactic to lower the overall selling cost. The power converter has a 50 amp 2 pole main pole breaker to split the camper loads into two 120 VAC 50 amp sections. This setup is a 50 amp camper, and they created power converter space and pre-wired the bedroom for a 2nd AC unit but did not install the 2nd AC unit. Thus, they can charge more for a 2nd AC unit as an adder but list the camper cheaper as standard. This camper has normal loads on both sides of the main 50 amp 2 pole breaker, not just the 2nd AC option.

A picture of the power converter breakers will likely solve all this mystery.

The adapter, the 30 amp male plug to a 50 amp receptacle, heads up, they sell two versions of this adapter, and pending your camper needs, it may or may not work for you.

Version 1: The adapter has a jumper molded into the 50 amp receptacle end to tie both hot legs together. This allows the 30 amp plug / 30 amp shore power outlet to power the entire camper with a split 50 amp 2 pole power converter breaker. You are still only limited to 30 amps of incoming power.

Version 2: The adapter "does not" have a jumper molded into the 50 amp receptacle end to tie both hot legs together. This adapter only powers up one leg of the 50 amp 2 pole power converter breaker. This means only half your camper will have power, which is the side that only got the power. The other leg is dead.

Yes, they make them like this as I bought one of the version 2's this spring. After figuring out the issue with a meter, I had to return that brand and buy a Camco one that I knew had the 2 hot wires jumper in it. Neither brand ever stated if there was a jumper on the 50 amp receptacle end. It is hit or miss, pending the brand.

Hope this helps,

John

PS Here is a pic of the camper wired for 50 amp but only one AC unit. They even included the 2nd AC unit breaker, it just does not have the 2nd AC. You can see, there is split power on both sides of the 50 amp main breaker that needs power from a 30 amp cord.

EDIT: 5/17/23. added extra wording to describe the 30M to 50F adapter.
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Terry 25 wrote:
OP here. Going to camper next week. I'll check camper plug and breaker box and update when I get back. In the meantime, I'll use the adapter. Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

Pictures!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Going to camper next week. I'll check camper plug and breaker box and update when I get back. In the meantime, I'll use the adapter. Thanks for the thoughtful replies.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
As with the other thread with almost the same subject

Look at the breaker box.. He had a pair of breakers clearly marked 50 amps ganged together.... and that folks. means it's a 50 amp RV.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times