Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A Motorhome Gasser

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I'm trying to decide between 2 motorhomes. One is a 2005 with a GM drivetrain 8.1 engine and Allison transmission with 11,430
miles. The other is a 2006 with the Ford V-10 drive train and 34,000 miles. I remember reading that the Fords had trans issues on some earlier years but were improved upon later. To those of you who know what year did they make that upgrade to the Ford tranny? Also should I be worried about the very low mileage on the 2005? Both of these coaches meet my price point and look to be in very nice condition with floor plans that I like. Thanks for reading , any thoughts and input are appreciated.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
30 REPLIES 30

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, keep looking. Water leak repairs are the worst! I stumbled across mine at a dealer, but I found info from the previous owner that he kept it stored indoors. And when I looked it over you can tell it was stored inside! I would keep searching. There are plenty of nice RVs out there that are well taken care of. I would even spend more on one that was stored inside.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Between the two, based on engines and parts, I'd look hard at the V10, assuming the layout works for you.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I do greatly appreciate all the replies too.

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
wtmtnhiker....What did you decide on?

Hello,
I have looked at 7 motorhomes from 2006 to 2012 and every single one had a serious water leak that the owners denied any knowledge of. Some i believed some not. Still looking. Likely will end up with a Ford chassis just because they're more numerous but never know.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
A dieselโ€ฆlol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
wtmtnhiker....What did you decide on?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rjstractor wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
4x4van wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
I'd never buy a diesel again.
And that is relevant how? :h

If you take it out of context you are the one making irrelevant.

Maybe you could explain the context. The OP was comparing two gas powered coaches and never mentioned a diesel.

Pretty sure the tuna just misread something. Because the word diesel was never even part of the original conversation or any sidebar stuff.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
John&Joey wrote:
The V10 was designed for commercial applications and was never installed into personal use cars. Bullet proof.

Say wut?
I mean of course the Triton V10 never made it into a production CAR, but there are 100,000s of them in light duty trucks and vans.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
This should be an interesting answer! I sometimes discuss the advantages of diesel despite someone asking about gassers but I can't figure where this comment came from. Just to inject a bit more worthless info, I would never buy a gasser!

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
4x4van wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

Maybe you could explain the context. The OP was comparing two gas powered coaches and never mentioned a diesel.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
4x4van wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

camper_ron
Explorer
Explorer
I am afraid this will not help, but after looking at all the replies I can only add My 2004 8.1 Vortec has 100,000 miles plus and runs great don't burn any oil and has pulled my 38 foot moterhome towing a Jeep Liberty over the rockies many time. Good Luck.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
The 2006 Ford should be the 2nd generation V-10 (3 valve engine with 315 HP) coupled to the 5R110W five speed automatic/overdrive transmission. It has improved head design that doesn't tend to blow spark plugs. It should have 10 lug wheels, not 8. That's a good thing. It is possible that the chassis is NOT a 2006 model year so it's IMPORTANT to confirm that before you buy if you choose the Ford.

At that age, check the roof condition, in person. Look for water leaks. Seriously deduct your offer if you find ANYTHING wrong with the roof or exterior walls. (leaks, bubbles, delaminations, etc.)

Chum lee