cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
We love the Smoky Mountains, but have done Pigion Forge and Gatlinburg to death. We’re planning a trip to Ashville for next year. We are in western Kentucky, knowing that Pigion Forge is about 5-5 1/2 hr drive where else do y’all suggest we go? We like full hook ups , no boondocking. Thanks in advance for y’all’s knowledge and experience.
16 REPLIES 16

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Hope all goes well with your wife's surgery. That's more important than a trip. Maggie Valley is only 40 miles from me and we occasionally go over there just for a few days trip. You will enjoy it. The Wheels Through Time Museum is there and is worth going through if you like old motorcycles and a some other vehicles. There's a few other touristy shops too. I enjoy the peace and quiet there. I would guess you will too

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Thank y’all for the advice and info. We’re planning a trip to Austin Texas from Christmas to New Year. My wife has to have surgery Tuesday so we will be out $$$$ for all that. That will probably have to come out of our “ big trip “ money,so we may have to make our big trip not so big. Maggie valley is half the money,half the drive time, everything. If we don’t make it to Maggie valley this year then for sure next year.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Ken56 wrote:
Creekwood and Pride are right next to one another. Both are nice parks. Some sites are better than other like all parks. I haven't been there is a few years but not much changes there. The park is very well kept so I don't think it would disappoint you.

I can confirm what Ken has said. We have never stayed in "Pride" but several times in "Creekwood." Always enjoyed it. We had to pay a little extra to be "on the creek," but worth it to us. Very handy to Waynesville and to I-40 N or S.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Creekwood and Pride are right next to one another. Both are nice parks. Some sites are better than other like all parks. I haven't been there is a few years but not much changes there. The park is very well kept so I don't think it would disappoint you.

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Has anybody been to Creekwood farm rv park in Waynesville? The pictures make it look very nice.

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for all the suggestions, especially Maggie Valley. I look them up.

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
Maggie Valley. Beautiful. Plenty of park choices. Convenient to many attractions. It's a short drive to Asheville. I hope the Biltmore is on your list to see. If anyone golfs then bring your clubs. Great courses in the area. You have Waynesville nearby for restaurants and some quaint stores. You have Cherokee nearby for restaurants and attractions. Go see the Museum of the Cherokee Indian and for lunch do Native brewing restaurant.

WONDERFUL SUGGESTIONS! Maggie Valley is where we stay when we visit the Smokies. We stay at Stone Bridge RV park...nice location, pretty stream in the back...a big open field for the kids or dogs to play in. It's a short drive to Cherokee in one direction...and to Waynesville in the other direction. We have eaten at Nick & Nate's pizza in Waynesville. South of Waynesville is Transylvania County and some of the most beautiful waterfalls.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would avoid ELA Campground in Bryson City. Its they only time I've ever felt I needed to carry my gun to the bath house. It has good reviews, but it was weird and creepy.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
There are only a couple of acceptable parks in/near Asheville. Campfire Lodgings is full hookup and has very good reviews. Lake Powhatan Recreational area is another. It has full hookup too but is a bit more of an effort to get to. Mama Gerties is another one. Very good reviews and has all you need. Bear Creek is good and is the nearest to the Biltmore Estate but it sits right at the interchange of I-40 and I-26. Have stayed there and it is a very nice park but road noise can be an issue depending on where your site is. These parks are the only ones I would recommend that are IN Asheville.

Keeping an open mind don't rule out Maggie Valley. It's only 30 miles out of Asheville and the parks there are quite nice. There is the KOA Asheville West park that is 13 miles west of Asheville. Stayed there before too and found it acceptable. Sites are a tad close for my liking but it served our needs for that trip to Asheville.

We are season pass holders to the Biltmore so we go occasionally as it is only 70 miles away from home. Asheville crimes rates are going up so don't be downtown at night. Homeless are all over the city now. Just be aware.

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
At least for now we are looking at Ashville area. We are in the calvert city / Possum Trot area near Ky lake. We’re not really interested in the Branson area. All the campgrounds I’ve looked at look very tight. We are also thinking about Williamsburg in the next couple of years.

Robbies_grandpa
Explorer
Explorer
We like Bear Creek RV Park. In Asheville but private.

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
Not knowing where in western Kentucky you are, but thats ok. You should try Branson MO, its full of things to do and plenty of FHU RV parks. The reason I said Branson is to me you did not really say which way you wanted to go.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I stay at Pride Resort in Waynesville, NC. Actually near Maggie Valley. Also, day trip to Ashville.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Maggie Valley. Beautiful. Plenty of park choices. Convenient to many attractions. It's a short drive to Asheville. I hope the Biltmore is on your list to see. If anyone golfs then bring your clubs. Great courses in the area. You have Waynesville nearby for restaurants and some quaint stores. You have Cherokee nearby for restaurants and attractions. Go see the Museum of the Cherokee Indian and for lunch do Native brewing restaurant.