cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is it better to be hooked to short power in storage? or not?

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
I just found a storage place that not only has covered storage (metal roof/exposed sides), but it also has 30 and 50 amp shore power.

In the past, I've had our TT stored in the open with no connections

Better to have it connected to shore power when stored between uses/trips? or better to have everything (including the battery) disconnected?

Thanks for your thoughts
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
18 REPLIES 18

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Add me to the list of always plugged in. We turn our fridge on in April/May, load it, and leave it on into October.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

debrhardt
Explorer
Explorer
some people must have cheap electricity. wish i did.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on your converter and your climate.
If you have the notorious WFCO converter that doesn't like to change modes and are in a hot climate, you will likely fry the batteries.I am in Phoenix, and that was my experience. My WFCO was stucck at 13.6, and that was too high here. I changed the converter to a Boondocker, and it worked fine. Some people in cooler climates have reported that the WFCO works fine for them.
FWIW, I have a collectible car in my garage that rarely gets driven.I have a battery tender brand charger on it. That works fine. That battery lasts more than 10 years. The cheaper tenders do not work as well.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Up here in the great white north, I leave my TT plugged in year round. We use thee TT for deer hunting in November and December plus all summer long. I like having it ready to go on short notice and don't like playing with the batteries. I did replace my WFCO converter with a PD smart charger when I bought the unit.

I also like to go sit in the camper during the winter when I get tired of winter. I turn on the furnace and let my mind go camping. One time I forgot to turn off the furnace and emptied both 20 pound lp tanks out in a couple of days.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input.

FWIW there's no 'winter storage' here....on the very southern tip of Texas....gets below freezing, barely, for maybe two nights in one year out of ten or more
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Disconnect the batteries. Fully charged and fluid topped up they'll last for months with no ill effects.

What ever works for you.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
It depends.

What he said.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our trailer also has been plugged in 24/7/365 for almost 20 years. It all depends on your converter and whether it is a "smart" converter or not. We have a Progressive Dynamics Inteli-power converter with a Charge Wizard.
This maintains the battery well and will not allow it to overcharge. Water loss is minimal. I usually check it once a year.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
Lantley wrote:
I have kept my RV's plugged in 24/7/365 for 20 plus years with no ill efects

X2

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
depends on the stock converter in it and the batteries. with my 6V batteries and upgraded converter I leave mine plugged in whenever I am not camping, and I check the water level in the batteries 4 times a year to make sure nothing is going wrong.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
don,t think it maters to the rv but you must maint your batteries or they will die a short life.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have kept my RV's plugged in 24/7/365 for 20 plus years with no ill efects
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Donโ€™t use a storage facility as I built a nice carport for it and our two cars. It stays plugged in when not in use. I keep the fridge on, AC on to control humidity and of course to keep batteries charged.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I disconnect and shut everything down between trips, unless it will only be a week or two before the next trip. I disconnect the battery when not using the TT. I usually reconnect shore power about 3 days before a trip, and that is enough to get the battery charged up and the frig cooled down and filled up.

I know people who leave everything hooked up all the time, and it works fine for them.

I think it is whatever you want to do.