cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should be simple WiFi question, but???

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
My home Xfinity router outputs both a 2.4 ghz band and a 5 ghz band... I am trying to use an app on my Samsung A7 tablet that strictly requires the 2.4 band. When I look at settings / connections, it only shows the name of the WiFi network in use BUT not whether it is the 2.5 or 5 ghz which both have the same name.. Any ideas on how to determine which one the Tablet is using? Thanks in advance for any help..
14 REPLIES 14

MrWizard
On My T-Mobile Home internet Gateway, I have two SSID one for the 2.4gh band and one for the 5gh band,
Administration options allow naming, band choosing, channel, even setting the power level of each band, I'm no router expert, but I think this is a pretty common feature these days
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
bob_nestor wrote:

Some routers like the Archer use unique names for 2.4 and 5 gHz and distinguish between them by appending a "_5g" to the SSIDs. Others, like some of the ASUS routers, can use a single name for both and when a device tries to connect it automatically selects the correct WiFi. ASUS calls this feature "Smart Connect" and it can be enabled or disabled via the web interface to the router. However, there are some devices which have difficulty connecting if this is enabled in the router. I have both an Archer and an ASUS along with various tablets, phones and such. At least one of my Android tablets can't deal with the auto-select.

The POS my internet provider provided.. Did not have the option to name just one band different. It only had one SSID/PSK
Which is why I got the TP-Link Archer 10

And glad I am I did it. also turns out I was renting the POS and the pay back on the Archer is about 1 year.. I'm double happy with that.

Yeah, renting that equipment doesn't make sense to me either - much cheaper to buy your own and accept the small risk that it may need to be replaced.

I use an ASUS RT-AC3200 for my main router w/WiFi in the house for my small home network, and I have an Archer C50 in my RV barn for WiFi in the workshop and for RV camping guests to use. It is hardwire ethernet connected to the ASUS. Overall I like the ASUS unit much better than the Archer, but both work just fine. When on the road with the RV I have a grandfathered AT&T hotspot ($20/mo unlimited) in the RV that's wired to be always on.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
bob_nestor wrote:

Some routers like the Archer use unique names for 2.4 and 5 gHz and distinguish between them by appending a "_5g" to the SSIDs. Others, like some of the ASUS routers, can use a single name for both and when a device tries to connect it automatically selects the correct WiFi. ASUS calls this feature "Smart Connect" and it can be enabled or disabled via the web interface to the router. However, there are some devices which have difficulty connecting if this is enabled in the router. I have both an Archer and an ASUS along with various tablets, phones and such. At least one of my Android tablets can't deal with the auto-select.

The POS my internet provider provided.. Did not have the option to name just one band different. It only had one SSID/PSK
Which is why I got the TP-Link Archer 10

And glad I am I did it. also turns out I was renting the POS and the pay back on the Archer is about 1 year.. I'm double happy with that.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
On the router change the name of the 5 GHz to same name CAPITALIZED.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
Get a new router I had that kind of router(One SSID two bands) and several devices refused to connect to it

My New TP-Link Archer-10 has 3 SSIDs two are the same ..almost.. I set them to the 2.4 GHz SSID to the same as the old router (Saves logging in all the old hardware) likewise the PSK I set the same.. The 5 GHZ band is the same save for the addition of 5GHz to the ssid..making both of the bands Unique The Third SSID (Guest)is optional.

Now my printer works over Wi-Fi. Smart plugs and devices work.. and Raspberry Pi's are very very solid.

The other issue with connection to WiFi has to do with hidden SSIDs. Most devices let you manually enter the SSID and password to connect to an SSID that is hidden or not advertised. Some devices can't do that like a couple of the inexpensive Android tablets I have. At least one of the Androids I have also has an issue trying to reconnect to a previously known (and saved) SSID if that SSID is later hidden which isn't a problem for better engineered devices.

As for hiding SSIDs, some feel it offers some additional level of security, others claim this isn't true. Hiding the SSID at least keeps people who aren't all that tech savy from seeing and trying to connect to your WiFi though.

In short, if the tablet is an inexpensive (cheap) one, it may have a number of small nagging issues trying to connect to, use and reconnect to WiFi. But as others have stated, if the tablet doesn't support 5ghz, it won't see when it's available and therefore can't/won't use it.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
As another person already posted the easiest way is just to rename each network. For me I name one of them 'yourwifiname here24' and the other 'yourwifinamehere5'
to be able to distinguish which one to connect too by just addint the '24' or '5' at the end of your wifi name.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get a new router I had that kind of router(One SSID two bands) and several devices refused to connect to it

My New TP-Link Archer-10 has 3 SSIDs two are the same ..almost.. I set them to the 2.4 GHz SSID to the same as the old router (Saves logging in all the old hardware) likewise the PSK I set the same.. The 5 GHZ band is the same save for the addition of 5GHz to the ssid..making both of the bands Unique The Third SSID (Guest)is optional.

Now my printer works over Wi-Fi. Smart plugs and devices work.. and Raspberry Pi's are very very solid.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should be able to select which frequency you want to use in the router settings. I know mine works that way, I can select either 2.4 or 5.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
stickdog wrote:
I just a retired carpenter but what I understand if your tablet does have 5G your not going to get it.
Not 5G - 5 gHz. Not the same thing.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
DD716TED wrote:
My home Xfinity router outputs both a 2.4 ghz band and a 5 ghz band... I am trying to use an app on my Samsung A7 tablet that strictly requires the 2.4 band. When I look at settings / connections, it only shows the name of the WiFi network in use BUT not whether it is the 2.5 or 5 ghz which both have the same name.. Any ideas on how to determine which one the Tablet is using? Thanks in advance for any help..

Didn't you answer your own question? The router admin page will tell you what is connected to what but if the tablet only uses 2.4, there is your answer.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I just a retired carpenter but what I understand if your tablet does have 5G your not going to get it.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
If itโ€™s like my router, if they bands are named the same, the router will auto select which one to connect to. What the criteria is I have no clue. On mine I named them Name-2, Name-5. Then when I want to connect Iโ€™m presented with a choice.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
My thought would be to check the router and see what channel the tablet is using, and adjust accordingly.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best method may be to rename the 2 networks so you can identify them easier:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wifi-change-admin-tool

Their example shows network 1 & 2 for the 5 and 2.4G.