Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motorhomes with 19.5 vs 22.5 tires

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I'm looking for a gasser motorhome. Talking to someone who works on them said that a coach with 19.5 tires will not handle very well and only look at coaches with 22.5 tires. I had not heard that before. He said the 19.5 coaches are a smaller chassis and will be harder to handle in wind etc. Opinions from those with experience would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at 2 different ones both on workhorse chassis and both with 245/70R/19.5 tires. Thanks
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
24 REPLIES 24

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
weight is the factor here. Coaches with the smaller tires have less total weight capacity than the 22.5" tires. Normally, the 22.5" tires are on the heavier chassis's.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Blanket statements, like the one from the OP's "someone", are rarely accurate or valid.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Personally I wouldn't worry about it. The coach will spend a lot more time with the tire stationary then rolling even if you full time in the rig. Shop floor plan first and then look at the chassis and what size the tires might be.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had coaches with 16,19.5 and 22.5. All drove well for what they are. Now, each was on a different chassis and the smaller ones (16 & 19.5) were gassers, the 22.5's diesel pusher. The chassis and the tires mounted are engineered for the application . I would not base a purchase in tire size... too many other variables come into lplay.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thank you for the last 2 posts that actually are on the right track.
Funny thing is, from most of the rest of the posts, one could maybe conclude that putting 22.5s on a Toyota Corolla would make it handle better! Lol.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Is it really the tires that makes it handle better? Larger tires are a result of a larger chassis and heavier MH. It's not an upgrade option, it's spec'd based on the chassis and the demand for a tire that can handle a higher payload. I would guess it's the heavier weight and larger chassis that makes it handle better.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Driving two different coaches with different size tires is not a good representation of how that coach handles. At that time the coach is probably empty and who knows what the tire pressure is, according to the current weight. The handling is based on proper loading, proper tire inflation, proper wheel alignment, road conditions, wind, and driver experience.Any of these things can greatly affect the handling if they are out of specs or if the driver has unrealistic expectations.

RodLyle
Explorer
Explorer
We have had 3 Class A’s with the smaller tires. Our 4th and current Class A has the larger 22.5 tires, it gives a better ride . We travel quite a bet.

Onyrlef
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect a lot of post hoc reason. The only way to conclusively determine a difference in ride and handling in a 19.5" and 22.5" tire would be in an all other things being equal side by side comparison. Otherwise the difference could be just as reasonably attributed to the upgraded shower head.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are more important factors that tire size that determine how the MH will ride. Weight distribution being one, ideally each tire should carry the same load. Front end alignment being another. Worn shocks front end parts like ball joints tie rods etc will affect the ride even more. All things being equal, which they never are in real life you would not notice a difference in ride quality based on just tire size. You will notice a big difference with too much weight in the rear and a light front end or a front end out of alignment.

MrWizard
My 1995 34ft Safari DP, had 22.5 tires at $400 per tire,
My current RV 1997 gasser Bounder Ford F53 Chassis 16" tires, $150 per tire, the the Safari ride and Bounder ride are different , not so much in the " seat of the pants feel" but in body lean braking dip, wind stability, Its Not bad, just different i have no complaints with this Ford chassis, but the tires do wear out sooner,
None are going to ride and handle like a car, the best handle like a bus, the worst like a worn out truck,
Bigger tires means the vehicle has more weight per tire on the road a heavier Chassis and a stiffer suspension, less roll & lean than the same RV house, on a smaller tire lighter chassis
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
My old 1996, 36' gasser with a tag axle had 16" tires and handled fine. Perhaps I didn't know what I was missing.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the 22.5. Handling vs 19.5? Haven't driven a coach with the smaller tires but trucks with the larger tires ride better.
Certainly more available if you need 22.5 on a long trip someplace.
Run what you like.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow