cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roosevelt Lake {NE of Phoenix} is full...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
As the runoff from last winter continues to flow Roosevelt Lake has quickly filled to capacity for the first time in more than a decade. Local TV coverage last week showed the lake not only to be full but they were releasing huge torrents of water downstream to Apache lake. Here are a couple of pics:

We stopped at Bermuda Flat on our way home and frankly it is completely flooded with just a small area open for day use only. Last fall we camped right on the beach with a crowd of like minded folks but it will be quite a while before it is open for camping again. The water has already warmed up to the upper 70's and will soon be 80+.

Here is a shot of the entrance road to Bermuda Flat:

Last fall Bermuda Flat stretched for nearly a mile and was 200+ yards wide. Here is a shot of just a small poprtion of the camping area. Note how far out folks back their trailers to launch. :S

This entire area is now under about 20' of water and Rosevelt Lake has extended to its full 26+ mile length. Hundreds of campsites are high and dry and probably filled completely with the Memorial Day weekend. We will be back soon {after the holiday } as it is only 39 miles from home to the dam.

:B
10 REPLIES 10

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
new dams/res make good sense . the people in charge have none.

Not to be political, but have you ever worked at building a pond? When the ground is wet, you can't work it. It takes time to do the work. Even after decide where to put it, and how to pay for it.
Been around an old pond that no longer has enough in-flow to keep it full?

Huh?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
Drove up from Apache Junction once.
That was enough. The road was so rough it could knock the fillings out of your teeth.

Don't take the, now closed, short cut. Bush highway to 87, turn off at Punkin, Roosevelt Lake dead ahead. Paved all the way.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so glad to hear this news!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:

Not to be political, but have you ever worked at building a pond? When the ground is wet, you can't work it. It takes time to do the work. Even after decide where to put it, and how to pay for it.
Been around a old pond that no longer has enough in-flow to keep it full?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Beautiful.
But I think Apache is my favorite lake on the Salt River Chain.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Yes in California we have so much run off right now they've decide to store it in the ocean. We don't need any new dams or reservoirs though ๐Ÿ˜‰
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Nice pics. Thanks for posting. Good to know that AZ and SoCal will have plenty of water for at least another year. I'd really like to see Lake Powell and Lake Mead water levels come up though. We'll see as this years snow pack melts. As of today, both lakes are still about 150' to 170' below full pool.

Chum lee

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Drove up from Apache Junction once.
That was enough. The road was so rough it could knock the fillings out of your teeth.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
been there a few times thats great news, love to fish there for huge crappie.always though of buying a place close by for winter vacation.first time there in our rv,was afraid to go down the ramp,along comes a guy in a big class A talked to him, said watch me its spooky but works out ok, now I,m a pro did it at least 20 times. love AZ.