cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you measure the ambient temperature?

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer

Revised to read: How do you measure the temperature of the air around your rig?
17 REPLIES 17

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Welp mustโ€™ve touched feelers with the mod. Thanks for deleting something that was well, opinion, just like all the rest of the opinions.
If I want to know how warm it is where I am at, I go outside. If I want to know how cold it is, I use my phone.
If I want to know how warm it is somewhere else, I use my phone.

I wondered why my answer went from the first answer on page 2 to the last answer on page 1.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:

I used to have APP on my phone that was quite acurate but deleted it due to much spam ADverts
๐Ÿ™‚

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
Message from the OP: Thanks for all your inputs. I ordered an Unni Wireless Outdoor-Indoor Thermometer with 3 outdoor sensors that I plan to place one on each side and one at the back of our Class A. The base station shows all three sensor readings at once. Presumably the lowest is in the shade and is the most nearly correct reading.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I look at my phone to see what the forecast and current temp is. If I don't have service, I don't really care that much to worry about it.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Our sensor is mounted to the frame behind the steps with velcro. Works great until the Sun is pointing to that side of the RV.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a LaCross weather station with the temp sensor mounted up in the pin box next tot the umbilical cord. Stays in the shade and is accurate.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Welp mustโ€™ve touched feelers with the mod. Thanks for deleting something that was well, opinion, just like all the rest of the opinions.
If I want to know how warm it is where I am at, I go outside. If I want to know how cold it is, I use my phone.
If I want to know how warm it is somewhere else, I use my phone.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's an ap for that.
Puma 30RKSS

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
A thermometer in the shade.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Add me to the wireless in a propane cabinet club. I know it is not accurate there, but it is close enough for government work. Shaded. Open to air from the bottom. Placed on an outside wall so that minimal effect of coach interior temp.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well there are proper ways and normal ways

Standard method is an outside thermometer You can set it on the picnic table but make sure it's in the shade.

If you want to get "Fancy" design a "pagoda" type house to set over it. Good ventilation and fully shaded so it's not reading sunlight.

Now there are lots of proper "Shells" for outside thermometers.

Oh. you can get one of the wireless types so you can read the outside temp. from inside...

Just make sure it's out of the sun and has good ventilation around it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
We have an "Ambient Weather" brand weather station that will monitor 3 sensors. The sensors are hung under 3 corners of the RV - at least one will be in shade. It is interesting to read the 3 sensors at different times of the day as well as the high and low for the day at each sensor.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
hedgehopper wrote:

use a simple thermometer placed in the shade.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The cheap way is to get one of those stick-on thermometers that go on the outside of a window.

We have a wireless with three remote senders. One under the propane tanks, one in the fridge freezer and one in the bedroom. About $40 from Amazon IIRC
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper