cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brakes are Broke

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’ve got disc brakes on my fiver …. they stop the trailer great but something seems broke. If I set my truck to electric over hydraulic I get a “trailer disconnected “ warning if I apply the brakes momentarily then release and reapply the brakes …. release again and reapply the brakes again. It happens every time on the third application. When the ‘trailer disconnected “ message is displayed the brakes continue to function as expected. I’ve got two identical 2022 F350s and both trucks behave the same way when hooked to that trailer (the only trailer I have with electric over hydraulic brakes). Another bit of interesting observation is that if I set my brake controller to “electric” rather than “electric over hydraulic” I don’t get the message. What do you all think? Is there a problem with my trailer or Ford’s software? The first time I noticed this was pulling the trailer with my 2022 ….. but it’s possible something happened to the fiver since my “21 was hooked to it. For instance I did accidentally leave the emergency brake away unplugged for about an hour which kept the hydraulic pump running nonstop which in turn got the brake fluid and wiring extremely hot.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
15 REPLIES 15

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I did a little looking into this and I’m pretty sure the 2022 Ford brake controller is not compatible with my Dexter electric over hydraulic brake actuator. The solution for me is going to be setting the Ford Integrated Brake Control to “electric brakes” vs “electric over hydraulic”. Alternately I could purchase and wire in one of these: Click

Easier next time you change your underwear er I mean buy a new truck just buy a RAM. :B

I quite honestly did come very close to ordering a 2023 Ram 3500 dually Limited. I liked the price they were offering me and I liked that I could have confidence that I would get the truck I ordered if I ordered a Ram. In the end I ordered a SRW F350 as well as an F450 and the last time I talked to my dealer they couldn't tell me whether I'd ever see either one of them.

That sounds like a solid plan…lol.
Since you don’t change your oil, may want to at least check it….

As much as I like my current truck it is getting to be a bit of a pain in the maintenance department. I've had to change oil already once; rotate tires; add windshield washer fluid .... and now you're suggesting checking the oil! I would think these modern trucks must have a low level alarm ... don't they?

I like your STYLE!!! :B
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
I did a little looking into this and I’m pretty sure the 2022 Ford brake controller is not compatible with my Dexter electric over hydraulic brake actuator. The solution for me is going to be setting the Ford Integrated Brake Control to “electric brakes” vs “electric over hydraulic”. Alternately I could purchase and wire in one of these: Click

Easier next time you change your underwear er I mean buy a new truck just buy a RAM. :B

I quite honestly did come very close to ordering a 2023 Ram 3500 dually Limited. I liked the price they were offering me and I liked that I could have confidence that I would get the truck I ordered if I ordered a Ram. In the end I ordered a SRW F350 as well as an F450 and the last time I talked to my dealer they couldn't tell me whether I'd ever see either one of them.

As much as I like my current truck it is getting to be a bit of a pain in the maintenance department. I've had to change oil already once; rotate tires; add windshield washer fluid .... and now you're suggesting checking the oil! I would think these modern trucks must have a low level alarm ... don't they?
B&W Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

DANG!!! Maybe time to give the other "BEST TRUCK" a try.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
4x4ord wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:

B&W Companion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Tekonsha P3 has an electric over hydraulic setting. I haven't been able to verify it, but, I think when on the electric over hydraulic setting the compatible controllers will only send current to the hydraulic pump while the truck is moving. With the Ford controller set to "electric brakes" my understanding is that current is sent to the brake actuator whenever the brake pedal is pushed hard enough to generate over 3 volts. So, because the "electric over hydraulic" setting on the Ford IBC isn't compatible with my trailer's hydraulic brakes I have to use the "electric" setting. On the electric setting, if I'm sitting at a long red light (or waiting for a train) my hydraulic pump could be running continuous as I wait. To avoid this I could use "park" when stopped or possibly use minimal pressure on the brake pedal.
B&W Companion

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If it doesn't misbehave if you just use the electric setting, I'd probably just leave it on that setting.

Do any of the aftermarket brake controllers have "electric over hydraulic" modes? What's different about that mode?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
B&W Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
^^^Ya but you've got a Ram.

YES that is true with the newer RAM's.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Check woth Ford.. my son in law has a 2022 and had the same thing.. They had to go into the computer system and wipe out the memory and reflash the IBC..

Ford had a recall on the brake control module. I brought my truck in and had it done but performing the recall made no difference. Our second F350 was built after the recall. Anyway I think I'll try hooking up a good ground wire as was suggested and if that makes no difference I'll give the dealer a call.
B&W Companion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^Ya but you've got a Ram.
B&W Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's always the trailer!!!!!!!

Check woth Ford.. my son in law has a 2022 and had the same thing.. They had to go into the computer system and wipe out the memory and reflash the IBC..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet