Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2011 Winnebago Sightseer

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I found a decent looking low mileage (23,000) 2011 Winnebago Sightseer. The current (2nd) owned has had it for two seasons over which time he started suffering from dementia. He drove when he shouldn't have sideswiped something damaging one of the storage compartment doors on the left side. Worst of all last fall it didn't get winterized and the result at a minimum is a new water heater, some pvc fittings and a new toilet or toilet valve. The fresh water tank had never been used and the grey and black water tanks don't seem to be leaking. I put low air pressure (15 lbs) to the system after bypassing the water heater and blocking off the toilet line. Far as I could tell it held air although the cracked fittings were letting some air out. The price is right but I'm wondering if this is something I should walk away from. I think the damage is minimal but not sure. The price is low enough below average list that I can comfortably put 8k to 10k into it (including new tires) doing all the other work myself. Thoughts/opinions are appreciated.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
7 REPLIES 7

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
wtmtnhiker wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I decided not to buy it. I was just going to take for a test drive. The windshield privacy curtain was blocking my view and as I pushed it back I noticed a whole in the side just aft of the driver's window revealing a water leak and rotted wood. Not sure how extensive the damage was but it looked like the rot went from at least from above the window to the floor based on the condition of the wallpaper and the punky feel as I pressed on the sidewall. Very disappointed. I looked for water leaks early on in the process. Thought I did a good job but for some reason I didn't pull back that curtain. Feel like I got lucky and dodged a bullet.

I think you dodged a bullet there. Plenty of nice units out there. Keep looking, you’ll find one that’s perfect!

Yes and you were right in your previous post!!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
wtmtnhiker wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I decided not to buy it. I was just going to take for a test drive. The windshield privacy curtain was blocking my view and as I pushed it back I noticed a whole in the side just aft of the driver's window revealing a water leak and rotted wood. Not sure how extensive the damage was but it looked like the rot went from at least from above the window to the floor based on the condition of the wallpaper and the punky feel as I pressed on the sidewall. Very disappointed. I looked for water leaks early on in the process. Thought I did a good job but for some reason I didn't pull back that curtain. Feel like I got lucky and dodged a bullet.

I think you dodged a bullet there. Plenty of nice units out there. Keep looking, you’ll find one that’s perfect!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
You can also go to Winnebago web site and get all the diagrams for wiring and plumbing along with structure.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you pretty well know what you are in for. I had a 2009 Sightseer and it was a good unit except for a leak at the slide, coming in behind the driver's seat. Took 8 tries to fix it and got it to a small leak, never fixed completely. I also had a Winnebago Aspect. Both had fiberglass roofs which were great. No roof problems on either one. I agree with Bumpy. All my doors had a part # so they could be re-ordered, nice feature. Good Luck on your decision.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I would skip it. Along with all the known problems you are in for, they also have roof issues. Check out AZExpert on You Tube. He repairs a lot of current Winnebago roofs.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
at one time winnie put a serial number on the back of these doors and thus can perfectly match the doors. bumpy