cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to RVing and In Need Of Advice! :)

La_hurley1122
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! I would appreciate some advice for a first-time RVer. So first of all, I need to buy a new car because my current car is at the end of her life. I'm deciding if I should buy an SUV to tow a small trailer or buy a pick up truck to tow a 5th wheel. What would you all recommend for a beginner?
I do plan to live in my RV full time.

And which SUVs/trucks would you recommend, considering my budget is around 20k?

Any advice is much appreciated!
Thank you!
24 REPLIES 24

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
In 2010 for around $10,000 I bought a used 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 4x4 with around 85000 miles from small Ft Worth dealer that they bought at Dept of Interior auction. I then towed a late model used 28 foot TT (excellent condition for about 15,000 $$) from Texas to Oregon and PNW thru the Rockey and Sierra Nevada mountains and lived full time in the TT in Oregon, Kalifornia and Nevada for a year.

Took me many months to find both truck and trailer at my budget level. It can be done but takes time normally. All the internet searching and looking was fun for me. To tow in high mountains you will need more towing power than towing on the low flatlands of Texas, etc. Enjoy the 4 Rs of life.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO "I plan to live in it full time" and "SUV tow vehicle" makes a ven diagram with zero intersection. One or the other but not both.

But there are IMHO 1/2 trucks and trailers that would likely satisfy full time use.

As for Lantley comment "…Once you decide you like RV'ing. Get that one ton dually diesel and be done with it. Otherwise you will be playing the upgrade game the entire time..."

I call BS on that. we've RV'd for decades and never ever have I or any of my camper buddies felt we needed a 1 ton dually to tow our trailers, 3/4ton? yes, but we travel a great deal. Nor have we ever looked at a trailer we liked that couldn't be towed with a 3/4 ton. And that includes our current 32ft trailer.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I think the OP has left the building.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
nickthehunter wrote:
Lantley wrote:
…Once you decide you like RV'ing. Get that one ton dually diesel and be done with it. Otherwise you will be playing the upgrade game the entire time...
In my opinion, I would say that is bad advice for a newbie. I have been RV’ing for 30 years and I own an F150 (gas) which is plenty for my needs. A diesel dually would have been a pretty stupid waste of money for me when I was a newbie. Everyone needs to evaluate their own situation and needs. One size fits all solutions don’t exist.

Moderation in all things:
- No, the OP probably doesn't need a new top of the line 450hp diesel dually.
- But also avoid anything unibody...I don't care if it has 450hp.

Of course, this presumes you aren't buying something monstrous or something tiny.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
If you are planning to stay in one place, presumably an RV park (there is no way to be "stealthy" with a full-blown RV and you WILL have to dump your holding tanks) - your best bet is to hire someone to pull your purchase to a site; then buy an economical vehicle to get around town with. Otherwise, you will be trying to drive and park a large truck all the time. If you plan to see the world (or at least North America) - a small 5th wheel would be the easiest to pull. You STILL will need to dump those tanks frequently; and a nimble trailer will make getting in and out of dump sites easier.

I do agree with others, your budget implies that you will be struggling to keep your RV in one piece and your vehicle running. RVing isn't a cheap way to live; many communities have pretty strong laws about living on the street; and dumping your tanks into a storm sewer will get you some serious fines.

Lastly, if you are truly desperate to have a place to live that is relatively secure - but some backpacking equipment, a cot, some storage totes, a cassette toilet, and a used work van (the Econolines and Express vans will run forever). Being able to "rustic" camp with no hookups saves you a ton of money; $10/month buys you a Planet Fitness membership where you can shower; and you are only dealing with one vehicle that can have problems, not two.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Yup. What he’s saying in theory makes sense for those who don’t really know what they don’t really know what they want or not….lol.
For the rest of us with not only budgets but also the ability to make reasonably sound decisions about what kinda camper we will reasonably have for however long, it sounds just silly.

But I know plenty of people who cycle through campers then trucks then camper then truck…. that Lantleys advice makes sense for. Those that can’t make up their minds and those that generally end up spending a lot of money to “upgrade” repeatedly.

So if the shoe fits I suppose
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lantley wrote:
…Once you decide you like RV'ing. Get that one ton dually diesel and be done with it. Otherwise you will be playing the upgrade game the entire time...
In my opinion, I would say that is bad advice for a newbie. I have been RV’ing for 30 years and I own an F150 (gas) which is plenty for my needs. A diesel dually would have been a pretty stupid waste of money for me when I was a newbie. Everyone needs to evaluate their own situation and needs. One size fits all solutions don’t exist.

Valpo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
We started with a tent then progressed to a popup trailer to pull behind our Grand Cherokee. Decided to upgrade from the popup but the Grand was limited in what we could tow comfortably and safely. Moving up to a bigger trailer meant moving up to a truck as well. We went to look at a used class A and felt a bit overwhelmed in its size. Went over to the Class C section and took 1 for a test drive, felt like driving a big van. Drove home with it then proceeded to set up the Grand for flat tow.
2005 Gulfstream Conquest LE 28 foot
2018 Wrangler JLU - pulling duty as a daily and toad
2012 Audi A7 - daily fun car

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Stir Crazy Wrote:
so I always tell people now if they are planning on buying both.. get the rv first, then find a truck to tow it. unless you are going to go out and buy a 1 tone dually diesel.. then you aren't limited to much.

I will add to this. Once you decide you like RV'ing. Get that one ton dually diesel and be done with it. Otherwise you will be playing the upgrade game the entire time.
Most don't realize the cost of the trucks is relatively equal.
A 1/2 ton gasser cost the same as a 3/4 gasser.
Once you decide to go diesel a 3/4 diesel cost the same as a 1 ton dually.
You must just decide what truck you want. If you are in it for the long haul get the 1 ton diesel dually and be done with it.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
A few clarifying questions; Are you wanting to RV by choice? Is this something you want to do because you think it will save you money, or are you looking to satisfy some wanderlust? I ask because full time RV'ing isn't necessarily cheaper. Are you handy at all? Because owning a used, cheaper RV and truck can be a bargain but in that price reduction you find yourself also doing a lot of work and repairs. Even newer Rv's require a bit more hands on fixing and problem solving that you might think.

You never hear of anyone who has bought their last RV first. Meaning, you never know what you want until you know what you want. If a trailer or FW is your target then I would buy the biggest truck I could get my hands on in my budget. If you stick with RV'ing then the odds are you will buy another RV in a matter of a time. A larger truck doesn't confine you and offers freedom to expand to a different or bigger RV. Not to mention that a vehicle that only marginally can tow your RV is a horrible experience and can be downright dangerous.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
your probably looking at a truck unless you are planning on a tent trailer or something under 2500 lbs.

If I was doing it again, I would decide what I want for a rv, then buy the truck or what not required to pull it. I started out with a bigger tent trailer behind a 91 ford ranger, then got a 98 F150 and found it towed so much better. Then I traded that in on a 28 foot trailer and again had to upgrade to a 99 F250 Deisel so I could get up big hills decently. then we bought the 5th wheel and I was over the weight capacity of my rear end of the F250 so I had to buy a 2014 F350 diesel and that is fine. the problem I run into now is we also bought a older truck camper to see how we liked it, and we love it but because I didn't buy a dually truck we have to be careful one what camper we get as I really don't want to buy another truck right now.. maybe in 9 years when I retire but not now haha

so I always tell people now if they are planing on buying both.. get the rv first, then find a truck to tow it. unless you are going to go out and buy a 1 tone dually diesel.. then you arn't limited to much.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

La_hurley1122
Explorer
Explorer
Alright, thank you for all of your responses! I'm getting a much better understanding of this RV world and I see there is much more to consider than I thought. I appreciate you all!

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is also a huge gap between people who choose fulltiming for the experience and those who choose fulltiming for economic reasons.

This board does not see a lot of the latter. So the perspective here is not the same as you might see elsewhere.

If the OP is choosing this lifestyle for economic reasons, then they might get more tailored responses elsewhere.

Let's face it, few here live(d) fulltime in a cheap used RV because they couldn't afford housing. So our responses are not going to reflect decisions and choices based on that.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

First time RVer, and living in full time, normally do not go together! A FW would be a much better option for full time living. It would require a HD truck to carry the pin weight, and tow it.

Any trailer big enough to live in, will be a learning experience for someone not used to towing. As you add more information, as to travels, or mainly park and live in, we will be better able to advise. 🙂

Jerry

I understand what you are saying, Jerry. But there are exceptions, and you did say "normally".

Our first RV was a 41' diesel pusher for full time use. But there was a ton of research done before that purchase. And it looks like that is what the OP is doing. He's asking questions.

BTW, our 2nd RV was a 43' DP full time, followed by a 27' Class C for part time use. Now our 4th RV is a 42' fiver full time.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah