cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Fridge Type

Dutch_Oven_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We have had 2-way and 3-way fridges for years. I need to replace out discontinued Atwood unit that is a headache, and have been reading about the 12V compressor fridges. We are 99% RV Park type folks, only time we are boondocking is for an occasional overnight stop at Walmart, and even then I have a generator.

The 12V units seem to be more economical and larger for the same size cutout than the 2 way units, downside being they can drain the battery when not hooked up to shore power.

We have a 15 year old travel trailer and have no desire to go Lithium, so would a 12V be advisable for travel and being plugged into shore power. Brand preference or brand to stay away from? I donโ€™t want the Atwood โ€œno longer supportedโ€ headache I have now.
29 REPLIES 29

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
We have used Norcold for the last 8 years on two different trailers. Iโ€™m a retired HVAC guy of 35 years so I understand technically the difference between the two refrigerator options. For camping, I prefer gas/electric but it looks like 12V will be the new normal especially now that solar is becoming standard on trailers from the factories which pretty much negates the downside to going pure electric. From the friends I camp with that have trailers with 12V refrigerators, they like them but in a few cases I have seen issues with getting rid if the heat from the condensers on the 12V systems. Seems some trailer manufactures donโ€™t realize you are still removing heat from one location and need to put that heat into another location outside of the trailer. In some cases they were no options for modifying the trailer to remove the heat without exploring cutting holes. Hopefully the manufactures have seen the errors in their ways and this will be a short lived oversight. Itโ€™s pretty silly having to go back for warranty and see the look on the technicians face when he realizes just how stupid it was to stuff that thing into a hole with zero ventilation provisions.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
StonedPanther wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
StonedPanther wrote:
trailer_newbe wrote:
Check out the โ€œRV Nerdโ€ on You Tube where he talks about this in detail as to why gas/elec is going away in the US RV market. He is a large dealer in Michigan who sells many different manufacturers, so itโ€™s safe to say gas/elec is unfortunately going buy-buy.

The only thing safe to say is Josh the RV Nerd works for a large dealer in Michigan and before that he worked for another large dealer in Michigan. He is not a "Dealer", he works for one. It's also safe to say he is wrong with his predictions more often than not. He's a salesperson who happened to become a YouTube Star.

I'll say it again. They're using these 12V fridges as standard because they're cheaper to buy and install and the savings goes straight to the bottom line, Every manufacturer offers a gas/electric option as an upcharge, typically to the tune of $600.00 to $1000.00.

Not totally true. Grand Design has switched over to 12V with no absorption option. You can go to their build site and there's no gas/elec option. Some Forest River products allow the switch. It would take too long to check all mfg but gas/elc is dying with many brand models.

Agree it's a numbers game.

Well I know this much from a position associated with the RV Industry. Dometic and Norcold have no intention of eliminating the Gas/Elec Fridge. You have a few things going on. The RV Industry is in a downturn that's not been seen since 2008. You are aware shipments and sales are down in the order of 50%? Most of the 12V compressor fridges that most manufacturers are using are cheap and have a high failure rate. To keep a low overall price point most are going with a 12V Compressor Fridge as the only option on their lower tier models. Good luck if you have a Furrion or an Everchill 12V compressor, you'll need it.

As an example Keystone RV. The gas/elec is not offered on a low end stick and tin Springdale but go up the ladder a notch to a stick and tin Hideout and a gas/elec 8cu ft is standard. Another notch up to an Outback or Premier and you can go either way. Its the same thing with most Forest River brands and between those two, Thor and Forest River, that's almost 80% of the entire towables market. Grand Design has went totally cheap. Everthing on one of their products from the frame to the roof vent is a Lippert product, the appliances and electronics are all Furrion (Lippert).

There was a huge glut of 12V compressor fridges available, but gas/elec was in a huge shortage for the last 3 years. It takes a lot more parts and pieces, and labor, to build a gas/elec than it does a 12V compressor unit. Gas/elec prices have shot up. A few years ago a 7cu ft gas/elec would have set you back @ $1400.00 or less on the street, now they're north of $1800.00 and good luck finding one at $1800.00. The Industry does not pay street or retail prices for things BTW.

Its no different a situation than the fold in the door "solid steps". Those too are not used because they're better, but because they're much cheaper to buy and install. You don't need additional frame mounting points installed or outriggers, and a lot less work is required on the lower fascias on the line. Its all about the bottom line as per usual, not added convenience or improvement.

Agree it's about the money. But after owning a 12V fridge for 3 seasons I'll never go back to an absorption. My last Norcold lasted exactly 1.5 years. Came with a 1 year warranty. New Norcolds were like you say in $1400 range so I went with my GE 12V for $950 including a 3 year warranty for $50. Except for some erratic temp fluctuations it's ran flawless. I still think it's going to be the new way to go for whatever reasons. Money, parts, space, etc.

StonedPanther
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
StonedPanther wrote:
trailer_newbe wrote:
Check out the โ€œRV Nerdโ€ on You Tube where he talks about this in detail as to why gas/elec is going away in the US RV market. He is a large dealer in Michigan who sells many different manufacturers, so itโ€™s safe to say gas/elec is unfortunately going buy-buy.

The only thing safe to say is Josh the RV Nerd works for a large dealer in Michigan and before that he worked for another large dealer in Michigan. He is not a "Dealer", he works for one. It's also safe to say he is wrong with his predictions more often than not. He's a salesperson who happened to become a YouTube Star.

I'll say it again. They're using these 12V fridges as standard because they're cheaper to buy and install and the savings goes straight to the bottom line, Every manufacturer offers a gas/electric option as an upcharge, typically to the tune of $600.00 to $1000.00.

Not totally true. Grand Design has switched over to 12V with no absorption option. You can go to their build site and there's no gas/elec option. Some Forest River products allow the switch. It would take too long to check all mfg but gas/elc is dying with many brand models.

Well I know this much from a position associated with the RV Industry. Dometic and Norcold have no intention of eliminating the Gas/Elec Fridge. You have a few things going on. The RV Industry is in a downturn that's not been seen since 2008. You are aware shipments and sales are down in the order of 50%? Most of the 12V compressor fridges that most manufacturers are using are cheap and have a high failure rate. To keep a low overall price point most are going with a 12V Compressor Fridge as the only option on their lower tier models. Good luck if you have a Furrion or an Everchill 12V compressor, you'll need it.

As an example Keystone RV. The gas/elec is not offered on a low end stick and tin Springdale but go up the ladder a notch to a stick and tin Hideout and a gas/elec 8cu ft is standard. Another notch up to an Outback or Premier and you can go either way. Its the same thing with most Forest River brands and between those two, Thor and Forest River, that's almost 80% of the entire towables market. Grand Design has went totally cheap. Everthing on one of their products from the frame to the roof vent is a Lippert product, the appliances and electronics are all Furrion (Lippert).

There was a huge glut of 12V compressor fridges available, but gas/elec was in a huge shortage for the last 3 years. It takes a lot more parts and pieces, and labor, to build a gas/elec than it does a 12V compressor unit. Gas/elec prices have shot up. A few years ago a 7cu ft gas/elec would have set you back @ $1400.00 or less on the street, now they're north of $1800.00 and good luck finding one at $1800.00. The Industry does not pay street or retail prices for things BTW.

Its no different a situation than the fold in the door "solid steps". Those too are not used because they're better, but because they're much cheaper to buy and install. You don't need additional frame mounting points installed or outriggers, and a lot less work is required on the lower fascias on the line. Its all about the bottom line as per usual, not added convenience or improvement.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
StonedPanther wrote:

What? A buisiness tries to keep costs down? Who would have thought?

Reality is this is the advantage of capitalism. The company that doesn't compete will be run out of business by those who are willing.

Being able to put the fridge anywhere without worry about cutting holes in the roof and/or side of the rig is a big advantage and yes, there is a cost to it.

Realisticaly, unless you special order, there will be no option for an absorption fridge and even if you do special order, many are still moving away from offering it as an option.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
StonedPanther wrote:
trailer_newbe wrote:

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
StonedPanther wrote:
trailer_newbe wrote:

Check back in a year or so and give us your update.

Dutch_Oven_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the replies. For our situation, weโ€™ll end up with a Memorial Day Lowes Special, hard to beat a basic 10 cu ft household fridge for $300. Iโ€™m going to install an inverter and another battery, and still be well over $1,000 cheaper than a gas fridge.

I was thinking back about the 25 years we have owned a gas fridge, and fewer than 5 times did we need gas. For what we do, a $600 set-up for a fridge and inverter with my generator should be adequate.

StonedPanther
Explorer III
Explorer III
trailer_newbe wrote:

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
12v compressor has been standard in the marine world for a long time. With batteries and solar getting cheap, the main disadvantage is gone.

There will be a few outliers who aren't served well by this shift but they aren't enough to move the market.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
StonedPanther wrote:
trailer_newbe wrote:
According to some RV sales folks I know

Well that's hands down the irrefutable proof then isn't it. Some RV sales folks. LOL.

Are those the same RV sales folks that tell you that you can pull a 38' 5er with a Chevy Colorado no problem, or the ones that tell folks that RV's are built rock solid by Amish Craftsman and nothing can or will go wrong and if it does they'll get you exceptional warranty service that will only take a few hours, whatever the issue?

Producing RVโ€™s is one thing. Being the guy who has to order them to stock your RV lot is different. These guys know what is available and they also know what is on the chopping block down the road. Check out the โ€œRV Nerdโ€ on You Tube where he talks about this in detail as to why gas/elec is going away in the US RV market. He is a large dealer in Michigan who sells many different manufacturers, so itโ€™s safe to say gas/elec is unfortunately going buy-buy.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch Oven Man wrote:
We are 99% RV Park type folks, only time we are boondocking is for an occasional overnight stop at Walmart, and even then I have a generator.

Find a standard residential refrigerator that will fit the hole.

Seriously consider installing an inverter/charger/automatic transfer switch, even if all you can afford is a pair of lead-acid golf cart batteries. A couple hours of charging and you will be good for overnight.

StonedPanther
Explorer III
Explorer III
trailer_newbe wrote:
According to some RV sales folks I know

Well that's hands down the irrefutable proof then isn't it. Some RV sales folks. LOL.

Are those the same RV sales folks that tell you that you can pull a 38' 5er with a Chevy Colorado no problem, or the ones that tell folks that RV's are built rock solid by Amish Craftsman and nothing can or will go wrong and if it does they'll get you exceptional warranty service that will only take a few hours, whatever the issue?

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
StonedPanther wrote:

Norcold only has stopped producing Absorbtion fridges in the US, Ohio to be specific. They moved production out of the US, not unlike 100's if not 1000's of other Corporations have done over the last couple/3 years due to the econimc climate in the US. The Absorbtion fridge is not going away. You know Norcold was owned by Thetford, a British Corporation, and they were bought out by an investment firm (holding Co) in 2021.

I think companies have been moving production overseas for decades. As for the economic conditions of the last 2-3 years, a global health crisis has caused supply chain issues form many products. I would be surprised if numbers did not show more production was moving on-shore than off.

RV manufacturers use the 12V compressor fridges because A, They're cheaper to buy and B, They have a significant labor and material savings, as well as a time savings, on the production line. They dont need to install wall or roof vents, build a cavity in a configuration for airflow, provide a gas line, etc. You could order a 2024 Rockwood tomorrow and get the Absorption Fridge option. You can do the same with most other brands be they Forest River / Thor / Winny / anyone.

In homes, first no cold storage, then ice boxes, absorption fridge, then compressor fridge. Camping, no cold storage, coolers, absorption fridge, and now, compressor fridge.

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
According to some RV sales folks I know, Norcold moving gas/electric out of the US is the main reason most trailer manufacturers will be 12V in as little as one year. The US market is huge, so Dometic is currently trying to cash in but the word is, they are just using up current inventory, so donโ€™t expect to be able to get a gas/elec in a new trailer within a year. Some manufacturers have already dropped them completely as an option when you order. Iโ€™m a gas/electric fan myself but unfortunately they will soon be gone in the RV world.