cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water heater Anode

David0725
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi I just installed a new water heater in my 2005 DS the Previous owner put a spigot where the Anode rod was to drain it ezer. Shoot I do the same? I had to take the new rid out because it was leaking not the its out of can put in a spigot or the rod? If ether one leaks I with have to drain it again how important is the Anode?
1994 Holiday Rambler Imperial DP
1999 Honda Accord V6 Toad
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is the make and model of the water heater?

There are exceptions but GENERALLY
Suburban has an anode. this is properly called a sacrificial anode. it's job is to sacrifice itself to protect the tank from "Rusting" (Corroding) out.

Atwood.. usually does not. This is because the tank is made of a different metal that is resistant to corrosion

NOW: some folks will put the spigot in the atwood... Differing types of metal (The brass of the spigot and the metal of tank) Tend to corrode .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
On Suburban water heaters, the Anode is REQUIRED. It is a sacrificial part that takes the hit for water induced corrosion. When you do your annual maintenance(Yes, you need to do this) you will see the rod has gone from about 3/4 diameter to les than 3/16 inch piece of rod. That shows it took the hit instead of the interior of the water heater. There is no good reason to have a spigot in place of the anode rod. It is not that hard to remove and reinstall. If the rod has been completely destroyed in a year you need to do a check every 6 months. Use this to seal the threads. Doug

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RectorSeal-1-75-oz-5-Pipe-Thread-Sealant-25790/100144191

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
You’ll have to edit you post because i can’t understand it.
I think you are asking if you should remove the valve and install the anode? But yet you are saying the anode is leaking!

Did you wrap the threads with Teflon tape? That will stop the leak u less there is an issue with the tank!

And yes you need the anode rod.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand what is so difficult with performing normal maintenance. As a fulltimer I replace the anode while flushing the tank each spring just before we head North. If your winterizing I see no difference and don't see how you can do a good job of flushing with a ball valve installed.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
My current rig the previous owner also put a spigot at the drain location. My heater did not require an anode rod anyway.

This is why I answered your question. Every spring and fall while doing the winterizing and dewinterizing I like to flush out the water heater. I bought on of the plastic wands to get into the heater and flush out anything thats there. Once I dewinterize water stays in the heater til fall. It just made no sense for me to keep the spigot.

Different side of question
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
If your new water heater is made by Suburban, then the anode is mandatory. The tank is glass coated steel. Put it back in tight with some pipe dope.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I pulled mine when new put in a drain valve, that was in 2008 not a problem. I drain my complete system after each use if its going to sit for a while. others don,t ,others do your choice.my tanks 15years old no leaks.