cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F150 5.0 V8 or V6 Twin Turbo

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not tow vehicle related per se as we have a motorhome, but I am in the market for a used F150 just for daily driving and small projects. I had a 2007 f150 with the 5.4 for 14 years but it had it's share of issues with the engine - specifically the plugs and coil packs.

From what I am seeing most used F150's in my price range come with either the v6 twin turbo or the 5.0 V8. My dad had the v6 and although plenty of power for what I need, it suffered a little turbo lag. I have heard that that the 5.0 is under powered.

Any thoughts, experience, pros, cons of either of these?

Thanks
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
38 REPLIES 38

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
F150 3.5EB Tow Test...

Link

The 2.7L is a better choice for light towing and grocery getting. More reliable than the 3.5L and 5.0, and loads of low end grunt!

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
way2roll wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Moot point now, I switched gears (pardon the pun) and bought a BMW. Wasn't what I was looking for but I really liked it. Might be my favorite car to date and I've had a lot. If I need materials for projects I think I'll just get a landscape trailer to tow behind the jeep.

Thanks all.

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Marty

I've never been able to figure out posting pictures on this site. ๐Ÿ™‚

What??...anyone can google rv.net photo posting, follow easy instructions. Just a cop out, maybe didn't happen? You seem to be a savvy guy...we're waiting. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
blt2ski wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Moot point now, I switched gears (pardon the pun) and bought a BMW. Wasn't what I was looking for but I really liked it. Might be my favorite car to date and I've had a lot. If I need materials for projects I think I'll just get a landscape trailer to tow behind the jeep.

Thanks all.

Marty

I've never been able to figure out posting pictures on this site. ๐Ÿ™‚

blt2ski
way2roll wrote:

Thanks all.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III

Thanks all.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Also good luck finding one at a decent price. My sons in college, and wanted to go from his 2002 Jeep, to a truck. We spent about a month looking, and I was shocked how many trucks from up in the rust belt are brought down to ATL, and how many have a rebuilt title.
He finally decided to stick with his Jeep until he/we can save up more, or prices come down. We saw some absolute **** they were asking $15-18k for.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
If I were buying a F-150, where it would be towing stuff, as well as a daily driver, I'd go for the hybrid, mainly because it provides some off the line torque from the electric motor. The main reason for this is generator mode, and making sure it had the 7000 watt power option. With this, it means not having to carry a generator, nor worry about it being stolen.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
F150 3.5EB Tow Test...

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
High miles = stay away from high tech. Get a 5.0 slap new cam phasers in it and drive it like a rentalโ€ฆ.
Save the twin turbo rigs for someone with more money or less brains.

Grit pretty much nailed it on the money.

OP a little reading about the Ecoboost engine.

A little more reading about the valve problems.

If you love high maintenance and high maintenance cost a high mileage Ecoboot truck is a great way to make your love affair real.

The 2nd Gen Ecoboost engines have both direct and port injection so carbon build is minimized. Also the 2018 5.0 has both direct and port injection as well.

The only truck gas engines that are port injection only is the Hemi and the Ford 7.3 gas engine.

Ya I knew the EB has double injectors. Unfortunately Ford screwed the software and it only cuts down on the carbon buildup. They need to have more on time for the port injectors, and less for the DI, but for some reason they don't.
I haven't worked on any of the newer stuff so I didn't know the 5.0 was DI. Thanks for the update.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have an 2011 F150 with a 3.5 eb with 245000 miles. At 185000 I had an exhaust manifold replaced. At 200000 I had the cam phase stuff repaired. I do not experience any turbo lag while towing. The ho charts show almost full hp at 1800 rpm's and my experience towing gives me the butt meter that agrees with this. While towing in the Rockies, I leave my digital display set on tranny temp and shift if the tranny starts to get above 200 degrees. I rarely have to go below 4th gear (6 speed tranny) I am leaving for the Rockies in the near future with this truck towing my TT.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:
Thanks everyone for the valuable feedback. Didn't buy either today. One was sold and the other just had too many miles for the year. I am in no rush but this info is very helpful.

Save up some money and get a 2021, the best 14th Gen Year. After that they kept deleting stuff. Love the 12" horizontal display. Mine is a XLT 302a, with lots of options.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thanks everyone for the valuable feedback. Didn't buy either today. One was sold and the other just had too many miles for the year. I am in no rush but this info is very helpful.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
What bandwagon!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
AHh Man Fish you went and spoiled the fun - I was waiting to see how many would jump on the bandwagon.