cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A's in Australia are mostly Conversions

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Their used to be an A Class builder( Swagman) they built about 600 vehicles. Since then it is primarily conversions.
Examples below give you an idea

14 REPLIES 14

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
A bit of US nostalgia in an Australian Campground

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Nearly forgot this boutique Class C manufacturer has built
a CLASS A based on Mercedes Benz Medium Duty Truck

This is a nice professional conversion on a 40ft Mitsubishi Fuso Coach. Conversion done 2008

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Do you know when Tiffin changed at production to RH controls? I have worked at a Tiffin dealer for 44 years and have worked on about 5 in transit from Tiffin Red Bay to the west coast and ALL had LH controls. NONE for the past 5 years, but before 2018. Now, since Tiffin builds the Breeze chassis, they have the capability of choosing RH and LH controls. Tiffin is dropping the Powerglide build at Red Bay. I believe Freightliner is going to start building Powerglides after the end of the year. Doug

As you said the Breeze chassis can be built in RHD and LHD, only ones we have received in Australia are the Breeze model

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Do you know when Tiffin changed at production to RH controls? I have worked at a Tiffin dealer for 44 years and have worked on about 5 in transit from Tiffin Red Bay to the west coast and ALL had LH controls. NONE for the past 5 years, but before 2018. Now, since Tiffin builds the Breeze chassis, they have the capability of choosing RH and LH controls. Tiffin is dropping the Powerglide build at Red Bay. I believe Freightliner is going to start building Powerglides after the end of the year. Doug

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Used to sell these in the early 2000's, outside of Tiffin and some over 25yr old US Motorhomes, only US Class A's sold here

A defunct Australian manufacturer

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Tiffin Exports to Australia are LEFT HAND. The Importer modifies the steering when it gets to their shop. IF they do that at all. I have worked on Tiffin exports that have had a malfunction while in transit from Red Bay to the Los Angeles shipping port. Inside they are also NOT complete, with various parts shipped loose inside. Doug

PS. I attempted to look at a Australian Tiffin but the only pics was a Breeze with the steering modified to the Passenger side and the entry large door on the drivers side. So, they do modify the steering on Tiffin exports in Australia

Actually they come RHD from Alabama
to Tiffin Australia. Still as regards the overall numbers of Class A type Motorhomes in Australia Tiffin is a tiny percentage.Used to be 3 Manufacturers of Class A's here but none now. There is a Super C manufacturer using a Kenworth chassis
This week marks
the culmination of several years of hard work and progress between Tiffin Motorhomes Australia and our American counterparts.

We are currently in Red Bay, Alabama assisting with the build of our first factory built, right hand drive Breeze. ร‚ A huge amount of work has gone into this to make it possible. ร‚ We have an all new independent front suspension setup which incorporates a centrally located steering box, disc brake front end, new air suspension with auto levelling, new firewall, new steering column bracket and the list goes on!

Hereโ€™s a sneak peak at the chassis in all itโ€™s right hand drive glory

This is the only Class A equivalent manufacturer in Australia now everything else is a conversion

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Nice! Tiffin Motorhomes has been exporting an Australian right hand drive version of their Allegro diesel pusher Class A's from the US for the past dozen years or so.

Tiffin Exports to Australia are LEFT HAND. The Importer modifies the steering when it gets to their shop. IF they do that at all. I have worked on Tiffin exports that have had a malfunction while in transit from Red Bay to the Los Angeles shipping port. Inside they are also NOT complete, with various parts shipped loose inside. Doug

PS. I attempted to look at a Australian Tiffin but the only pics was a Breeze with the steering modified to the Passenger side and the entry large door on the drivers side. So, they do modify the steering on Tiffin exports in Australia

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Something you would never see in the US. A Mitsubishi Fuso based Motorhome with a 7.5 Litre diesel

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
dblr wrote:
Always enjoy the pictures you post of the unique units, thanks again.

It is a very different RV scene in Australia

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Always enjoy the pictures you post of the unique units, thanks again.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
A few more

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Nice! Tiffin Motorhomes has been exporting an Australian right hand drive version of their Allegro diesel pusher Class A's from the US for the past dozen years or so.

Pretty much drop in the ocean, not that suited to a lot of off road sort of use. See top photos
Tiifin sells or sold one a month, fitout electrics etc was done locally by the local distributor

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate