cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 volt fridge in TT

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
I did search but the information I found was related to boondocking with a 12 volt fridge. We just got rid of our MH and got a nice 2020 KZ TT that has a 12 volt. We do not plan to do any boondocking, this will be at our private lot on the local river and be hooked up the electric 98% of the time.
What will be different between this and our former gas/electric fridge? Any advice and experience will be appreciated. Jim.
7 REPLIES 7

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
As long as the battery is sufficiently charged during that 2% of the time that your converter/charger is not working, no problem. If the battery is NOT sufficiently charged, or runs down, the fridge will stop cooling. However, as long as the fridge door stays closed, it will stay cold for hours, so, no problem. If it stops cooling, and stays off long enough for the fridge to get warm, you will have to throw out spoiled food.

Even your old gas/electric fridge needed 12v power to run. It must have 12v to power its electronics even when running on gas. So, it was no different.

If you think you might go too long without charging battery, put few ice cubes in cup in freezer. Once all recharged, and has run to cycle off, look at cubes. If it has got warm enough for food to be unsafe, the cubes will turn into puddle

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it will be a good match for us with our intended uses. Our fridge in the MH was gas/electric and it would not do that well in hot weather. Thanks to all, Jim.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim, as long as you are hooked up to power you will have no problems at all and will get to experience all the benefits of a more dependable fridge. One of those not mentioned yet, is how they cool even when it gets really hot outside. They are better in all ways.....except.......when you are not plugged in.
I have an Airstream and they went to these in all new units. I boondock a lot and I can run my fridge for days without issue. The typical Airstream owner, not all by any stretch, use full hookup sites. Those who don't have changed over to a solar power system hooked into lithium battery banks which work quite well while off the grid. They have also changed everything over to an on demand hot water system which is counterintuitive when you think about saving water. But....you didn't ask about that, did you? Anyway, you are going to like your new fridge. Give that 2% time some thought.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are basically 4 types of 12 vole "Fridge"
One is an absorption unit,. these are often 3-way (12 120 Propane) and really kill batteries when on 12 (20 amps or more draw)

One is a traditional Compressor... also about 20 amps running

one is a high effiency compressor 3-4 amps running

One is ... Well 7-010 amps running but no compressor in fact other than a fan no moving parts. Doubtful you have that kind.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
We went thru a similar situation. 3yrs in loving it. For the same exterior size, it has around 50% more interior space. It cools quickly once turned on or when you put a bunch of food into it.

We just have 2 basic 12v lead acid batteries and typically wake up with the batteries at 12.5-12.6v after an overnight boondock.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as the battery is sufficiently charged during that 2% of the time that your converter/charger is not working, no problem. If the battery is NOT sufficiently charged, or runs down, the fridge will stop cooling. However, as long as the fridge door stays closed, it will stay cold for hours, so, no problem. If it stops cooling, and stays off long enough for the fridge to get warm, you will have to throw out spoiled food.

Even your old gas/electric fridge needed 12v power to run. It must have 12v to power its electronics even when running on gas. So, it was no different.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

sask66
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Nova Kool 12volt in our class B motorhome. It runs just off battery power, in our case an AGM 330 ah. As long as we keep enough juice in the battery it works fine. Being plugged in to shore power all the time it should keep plenty of charge in your 12 volt system.