Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Difference between car hauler and cargo trailer?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Difference between car hauler and cargo trailer?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/09 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am considering towing a trailer behind my motorhome. The purpose would be to carry my car, and some other "possessions"! I have been looking at several trailers and I see some advertised as cargo trailers and some as car haulers. For instance, I am looking at a trailer advertised as a cargo trailer with a capacity of 7700#, measuring 8' X 16' with a ramp and a side door and double axle. This trailer seems to be able to handle what I want it to do except it is labled as a cargo trailer. What am I missing? Is there any reason I can't haul my small car and other stuff in this trailer if it fits and doesn't weigh too much?

[emoticon]

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

tvman44

Southwest Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/09 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No reason at all I know several people that use cargo trailers to haul race cars & tools, spare parts, ect.

Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

Ajones42

South Texas Puckerbrush

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/09 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the ramp capacity. Many car haulers have reinforced ramps. Many car haulers also have 6" higher roofs and are 102" wide.

Fulltiming in a 2010 Puma 30RKSS
1993 Dolphin 32D -> Destroyed by hail April 2013
Gate Guards in the South Texas Pucker Brush
My Old RV
Oil Field Gate Guard Forum

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/09 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I rented a car carrier once to transport a car for my daughter. It was just just a flat trailer with no sides. I thought I had it all figured out. Then I loaded the car on the trailer and discovered I couldn't get out any of the doors! The wheel fender wouldn't allow opening the door enough to squeeze through. I tried everything, even taking out the back seat to crawl out the trunk. Unfortunately, that car, I couldn't get through the back seat. It was solid!

I ended up putting the car on the tale of the trailer, which was a real threat for uncontrolled sway! I had no other choice. I drove very slow (1000 miles) and never got over 45 mph. Yuck!

If you're looking at a trailer, make sure you have enough room to open the door of the vehicle and still get out! I think that's why the "car haulers" had side doors and cargo trailers do not!

BrickBrain

Pearl River, La

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/09 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Ajones42 said, Check the rampdoor capacity. Do this regardless of it being labled a car trailer or a cargo trailer. Most car haulers are equipped with D-rings and a dovetail at the rear. Also depends on the manufacture. A carhauler for company A can be built the same as a cargo trailer for company B.

I would say if your car fits, use the trailer regardless of what it is called.

'03 Allegro 32BA on Workhorse W20
'06 Saturn Vue
Demco Aluminator
RM 9700 Brake
'02R1150RT B'mer
Dyna Beads

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/09 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I highly recommend the driver escape door on many car haulers.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/09 06:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the suggestions. The trailer I am looking at has a side door. I will be sure to check the capacities.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/09 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My cargo trailer has a side door.

Do a side-by-side comparison of the two trailers' features. You should be able to notice a difference.

For example, I suspect that the floor on an enclosed car hauler is reinforced, or made of thicker wood. A cargo trailer typically has 3/4" ply. Most open car haulers have 2" planks.

If you rented a Uhaul, the left fender can be tipped out or removed entirely to allow the driver's door to open.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/09 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure about this case, but on flat deck car haulers, the ramps are WAY weaker than on equipment trailers, They also usually slide in and out of a storage area on the under back side of the trailer vs having built in ramps with feet that keep the back end of the trailer from squatting down when loading. Using this analogy, I can see where a cargo trailer may have a weaker ramp yet, assuming that one is only loading lighter items, such as motorcycles, snowmobiles etc. Equipment trailers typically have the beavertails vs car trailer/haulers will not from my experience. Beaver tails will make the load ramp angle about 7-10* vs 12-15* for non BT trailers.

I would recomend that you block the back of the trailer if you load a car, as you will get quite the uplift on the hitch when loading otherwise. Blocks can be actual wood blocks, or jackstands. Some trailers actually have jack stands like your tongue jack on the rear to hold the trailer steady when loading.

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

lanerd

Home in Ridgecrest CA for the winter.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/09 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

I rented a car carrier once to transport a car for my daughter. It was just just a flat trailer with no sides. I thought I had it all figured out. Then I loaded the car on the trailer and discovered I couldn't get out any of the doors! The wheel fender wouldn't allow opening the door enough to squeeze through. I tried everything, even taking out the back seat to crawl out the trunk. Unfortunately, that car, I couldn't get through the back seat. It was solid!

I ended up putting the car on the tale of the trailer, which was a real threat for uncontrolled sway! I had no other choice. I drove very slow (1000 miles) and never got over 45 mph. Yuck!

If you're looking at a trailer, make sure you have enough room to open the door of the vehicle and still get out! I think that's why the "car haulers" had side doors and cargo trailers do not!

Did you try crawling out the window???

I don't have a lot of experience in renting car carriers, but the ones that I have rented, had fenders that were hinged outward so that when loading the vehicle, you can tilt the fenders over to allow access/egress from the vehicle.

Also, I don't have "any" experience in cargo carriers, but I would suspect that a cargo carrier would not have the ramp/floor capacity to allow loading a multi-thousand pound vehicle on it.

Ron

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Difference between car hauler and cargo trailer?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.