Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Smart car on trailer, behind motorhome. Report

Posted By: John / Angela on 10/22/10 12:04pm

After a few thousand kilometers we are happy with the setup. It seems to take us about 5 minutes longer to get it strapped down and tow ready than the 4 down configuration we are used to having with our other toads and it involves a little time on the knees to operate the ratchets. We went with strapping all four wheels down for piece of mind. After seeing it bounce a bit on some of the more unexpected bumps we are happy we did. The tires on the trailer are at about 65 percent load rating but I still want to replace them with Goodyear Marathon radials. I hate carlyles.

The biggest thing we have come to appreciate is the ABILITY TO BACK UP. Backing into a spot in a travel centre or correcting pad position sure becomes easier with the ability to back up. Overall we are happy with the setup and now have a diesel pusher behind our diesel pusher. Just wish the big one in front got the same 74 mpg as the little one behind. [emoticon]

On edit. Forgot to mention that the trailer self stores on its tail for easy stowage at an RV site. The trailer and car combo weigh in around or just under 2000 lbs. I weighed the axle and need to reweigh it as it doesn't seem right. About 1600 pounds. Will check again at another scale.

Heres a few shots.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

* This post was last edited 10/22/10 07:02pm by an administrator/moderator *

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Posted By: hershey on 10/22/10 12:13pm

But do you have adequate power to tow that combination? Can that rig handle the added weight? Looks like your pushing the envelope. [emoticon]

hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Posted By: John / Angela on 10/22/10 12:18pm

hershey wrote:

But do you have adequate power to tow that combination? Can that rig handle the added weight? Looks like your pushing the envelope. [emoticon]

[emoticon]

Posted By: Bigburd on 10/22/10 12:23pm

[emoticon] It's not being towed, it is pushing.

2012 Ford F-450 CCDRW 6.7L
2013 Heartland Cyclone 300C / Goodyear 17.5" G114's / CarryTank 200
2006 Club Car

Posted By: Two Jayhawks on 10/22/10 12:35pm

Where did you get the diesel Smart car? I didn't think they were available in this country (maybe emissions??).

Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Posted By: VintageRacer on 10/22/10 01:14pm

Notice the Alberta plates? Canada had the diesel for years before the Smart started to be sold in US. I think we now get the gas version, same as you.
I have to say that is a seriously nice looking little trailer! I like! Tongue weight of 400 seems very appropriate to me, the axle is quite far back and the higher tongue weight as a percentage of total trailer weight will ensure a very quiet ride.

Brian

2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

Posted By: firemedic16 on 10/22/10 01:28pm

My 11 year old daughter asked me if you could put a smart car inside a toy hauler. I thought that was a great idea, no towing worries, no backing issues, etc.. I think she has a future in RV design.

Posted By: wny_pat on 10/22/10 01:37pm

Two Jayhawks wrote:

Where did you get the diesel Smart car? I didn't think they were available in this country (maybe emissions??).
And at 75 MPG it is a crying shame we are not allowed to have them here south of the border!

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Posted By: summerhouse on 10/22/10 01:38pm

I really like that ride you have back there! Wish I could talk DH into something like that! I guess if we were fulltiming he might consider it, right now he is all about the Jeep Wrangler he bought. It was supposed to be my winter daily driver, as my car is rwd and doesn't move in the winters we have here in mid-Michigan. I didn't like it so he drives it. (I think that was his plan)!
I think it not only is a smart car, your combo looks quite 'smart' also!

“Light hearted I take to the open road… Healthy, free, the world before me… The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.” - Walt Whitman

Posted By: John / Angela on 10/22/10 01:43pm

Two Jayhawks wrote:

Vintage racer nailed it. This is a Canadian Smart car. (essentially the european version). Since 2008 Canada now gets the USA version. Still a nice car. Makes sense in the USA as diesel is more expensive than gas in the USA and really, fuel itself is still dirt cheap in the US compared to most of the world so fuel efficiency just isn't a seller. Still the other reasons for buying a smart car are still valid including easy and fun to drive, very easy to park, safety features etc. We have two of them and still feel they are the best and most fun cars we have ever had. Very nice freeway car and is nimble as heck. Not for everyone though and obviously not a fit for families.

[image]

* This post was edited 10/22/10 01:52pm by an administrator/moderator *

Posted By: JamesBr on 10/22/10 01:44pm

That is a neat little setup. Oddly it looks like an oversized golf cart in tow...depending on the golf cart.

As for those wishing we had more diesels here. I have for many years wished the US would allow more clean diesels to be imported. But EPA is always a step ahead and making it finanially impossible for companies to bother bringing their small diesel engines into the US. VW did it and has managed to stay ahead, it took jeep 4 years to do it and then new EPA rules again sends the motor back to europe and canada.

2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

Posted By: John / Angela on 10/22/10 02:06pm

One more shot.

[image]

Posted By: J-Rooster on 10/22/10 02:07pm

FYI, I was visiting Ballews Hitch & RV last week in Tacoma, WA. and there was a Monaco DP towing a Smart Car with all 4 down. Kevin Ballew told me he has set up several Smart Cars to be tow with all 4 down! John

Posted By: BobR on 10/22/10 02:12pm

It is a shame that smart car can't double as a generator. Neat set up!

Posted By: RicJones on 10/22/10 02:26pm

Nicer setup, love the trailer!

Posted By: John54m on 10/22/10 02:36pm

John and Angela, we just had the opportunity to meet John when we bought our rig in Vernon in 2007. Still have it and runs great. We also have a smart 451 cabriolet which we tow 4-up. Have been up to Whitehorse YT with the combo and were delighted with the trip.
Happy full-timing,
John and Arly Springett

Posted By: Weathertodd221 on 10/22/10 02:53pm

kendon makes nice stuff!! I have a few of their lifts for my bikes.

Posted By: John / Angela on 10/22/10 04:12pm

J-Rooster wrote:

FYI, I was visiting Ballews Hitch & RV last week in Tacoma, WA. and there was a Monaco DP towing a Smart Car with all 4 down. Kevin Ballew told me he has set up several Smart Cars to be tow with all 4 down! John

Absolutely. I helped a fellow this year with his smart car 451 setup towing 4 down. Straight ahead and it seems to be working well for him. We decided to go with a trailer as the trailer is small enough to self store on the lot and we wanted to be able to back up. Mercedez also doesn't endorse the diesel being towed 4 wheels down but I know of a couple folks doing it. Absolutely nothing wrong with towing it 4 down if thats what suits your needs.

Posted By: Goldencrazy on 10/22/10 04:35pm

Neat trailer. I love my Smart. I installed wider and one inch larger tires in Smart Madness outside of LA. Made a huge difference in handling and tracking towing four down. Also added an after market cruise which is nice. Mine is the Passion 2009 and I drive it all the time and SUV sits in the garage at cottage. Towed to Alaska and didn't unhook for any frost heaves. Treated as a motorcycle on Marine Highway as it is less than 10 feet. Had it at Olympics and always found parking at all venues. Lot's of fun stuff to trick out the Smart at Smart Madness and great people.

Posted By: John / Angela on 10/22/10 05:48pm

Goldencrazy wrote:

Neat trailer. I love my Smart. I installed wider and one inch larger tires in Smart Madness outside of LA. Made a huge difference in handling and tracking towing four down. Also added an after market cruise which is nice. Mine is the Passion 2009 and I drive it all the time and SUV sits in the garage at cottage. Towed to Alaska and didn't unhook for any frost heaves. Treated as a motorcycle on Marine Highway as it is less than 10 feet. Had it at Olympics and always found parking at all venues. Lot's of fun stuff to trick out the Smart at Smart Madness and great people.

We;ll be in your neck of the woods within a couple weeks or less. Comin to see Mickey and Minny again. We actually bought the trailer from Kendon industries in Anaheim. Great bunch and easy to work with. We picked it up at the factory last spring.

Posted By: J-Rooster on 10/22/10 05:58pm

John & Angela wrote:

J-Rooster wrote:

Absolutely. I helped a fellow this year with his smart car 451 setup towing 4 down. Straight ahead and it seems to be working well for him. We decided to go with a trailer as the trailer is small enough to self store on the lot and we wanted to be able to back up. Mercedez also doesn't endorse the diesel being towed 4 wheels down but I know of a couple folks doing it. Absolutely nothing wrong with towing it 4 down if thats what suits your needs.
John is there enough room in back of your smart car for a 50 Lbs. dog (Husky). John

Posted By: qtla9111 on 10/22/10 06:04pm

Great pictures and a wonderful rig. Also, the model deserves an A plus!

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Posted By: John / Angela on 10/22/10 06:14pm

J-Rooster wrote:

John & Angela wrote:

J-Rooster wrote:

John is there enough room in back of your smart car for a 50 Lbs. dog (Husky). John

Hmmmm. Thats a tuffy. Part of it will depend on how far you put your seats back as this limits the cargo space. Our little 12 pound mutt is quite comfortable back there but I think the best thing to do is test drive one, take it home and put the pooch in. Let him/her make the decision. [emoticon]

Posted By: John / Angela on 10/22/10 06:16pm

qtla9111 wrote:

Great pictures and a wonderful rig. Also, the model deserves an A plus!

Thanks Chris. The model is kinda pricey but ahhh,, what the hey,,,,its only money. [emoticon]

Posted By: randallb on 10/22/10 07:11pm

J&A,
We have a similar setup. Our 08 gas Smart is carried on a 6x10 open Aluma aluminum trailer with full width tilt up ramp. I place the bag with floorboards, etc for the 12' inflatable under the car, the 9.8 HP outboard and trolling motor behind the seats and the boat bag goes between the back of the car and the ramp. It is a simple and efficient way to carry a car and boat. I, however, use 6,000 lb slings at all four corners with crossed ratcheting tie downs to attach to the trailer. Put about 30,000 miles on this set up in 09 and 2010 with absolutely no concerns about what I was towing. I still do not understand why anyone would tow 4 down.
Randy

Posted By: Goldencrazy on 10/22/10 07:45pm

Actually I am in WI but was in California for a month killing time before we headed to Olympics and had an appointment at Smart Madness in Signal Hill to install the cruise control and discovered they were great.

Posted By: Daveinet on 10/23/10 09:14am

Is there are lawn mower attachment for that thing?

IRV2

Posted By: John&Joey on 10/23/10 10:24am

Looks like you two are having WAYYYYY... too much fun[emoticon]

Nifty setup you got going.

Posted By: John / Angela on 10/23/10 03:44pm

Daveinet wrote:

You know its funny you should ask. The very first thing I said to Angela after we started it was, geesh, it sounds like a diesel kabota lawn tractor. [emoticon]

Posted By: tomkaren13 on 10/23/10 04:22pm

firemedic16 wrote:

My 11 year old daughter asked me if you could put a smart car inside a toy hauler. I thought that was a great idea, no towing worries, no backing issues, etc.. I think she has a future in RV design.

I know we have seen Class A with garage and a Smart car.

Posted By: J-Rooster on 10/23/10 05:49pm

J-Rooster wrote:

John & Angela wrote:

J-Rooster wrote:

Thanks John, were going to seriously consider one when our Toyota is not working for us anymore!

Posted By: caymann on 10/23/10 06:16pm

Maybe you can take a look at this
This swivels and will let you back much better
It is designed for a smartcar
This guaranteed never to jacknife

Posted By: John / Angela on 10/23/10 06:19pm

caymann wrote:

Maybe you can take a look at this
This swivels and will let you back much better
It is designed for a smartcar

We parked behind a fellow in Jackpot Nevada last year who had this setup. Very cool. It is a little pricey and added tail swing to the coach. Also had some interesting pneumatics and mechanics. Not for us but definetly an alternative.

Posted By: caymann on 10/23/10 06:19pm

tomkaren13 wrote:

I know we have seen Class A with garage and a Smart car.

Maybe you are thinking about Travel Supreme

Posted By: John / Angela on 10/24/10 08:28am

smartsales wrote:

For those of you in the US, you may want to check out the Smart Trailer USA, which can be found at www.SmartTrailerUSA.com.

The trailer frame is steel with aluminum decks and ramps.

Thanks Richard. I meant to put up a thread to the site but we are in Vegas and...well...we've been busy. Excellent alternative that didn't work out for us for logistic reasons only.

Heres a clicky.

www.SmartTrailerUSA.com

Cheers.

Posted By: kjburns on 10/24/10 09:23am

[image]

[emoticon]

2019 Dynamax Isata3 24FW

Posted By: gone2dadesert on 10/24/10 09:32am

hershey wrote:

[emoticon]

LMAO [emoticon]

2011 Hurricane 31J
2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon

Posted By: John / Angela on 10/24/10 06:10pm

KJBURNS. Love the picture and have already sent it to few fellow smarties.

Posted By: John / Angela on 10/24/10 08:37pm

Heres a shot from the Sin City Hoover Dam smart car rally. 70 plus cars. Whatta hoot.
[image]

Posted By: SpinRite on 10/24/10 10:36pm

The whole concept of a DP towing a SmartCar (SWMBO calls them "Salad Shooters") reminds me of an old friend who was always on a diet -- at lunch he always ate a nice, green salad with about a pint of Ranch dressing slathered over it. [emoticon]

'94 Holiday Rambler Navigator
38', Cummins 8.3 300hp, Allison 3060
pushed by a 2005 Honda Element

Posted By: Lobstah on 10/25/10 11:51am

When the new Cooper first came out, I was looking at them on their website, and a friend of mine came by, glanced over my shoulder quickly and said "Huh...does it COME with the clown shoes?"

[emoticon]

Jim

2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer ">
3 Maine Coon cats

Posted By: HSIKES on 10/29/10 07:10am

Just a thought...[emoticon]

Why can't there be a connect point (bolted or welded eye ring) installed on the underside front and rear of the vehicle? From this a come a long or winch straps and pull tight to secure the vehicle. Looks like it would be easier than trying to secure four wheel straps.

Horace & Bobbi
DRAKE - Yellow Lab (rescue dog)
2005 Fleetwood Providence 39 L; 4 slides; 350 Cat
2000 Saturn LW TOAD
2009 Buick Enclave CLX 2

Preach the gospel at all times. And if necessary.....use words.

Posted By: John / Angela on 10/29/10 10:20am

HSIKES wrote:

Just a thought...[emoticon]

Why can't there be a connect point (bolted or welded eye ring) installed on the underside front and rear of the vehicle? From this a come a long or winch straps and pull tight to secure the vehicle. Looks like it would be easier than trying to secure four wheel straps.

I am sure it could be done. The trick is finding four solid points to weld or bolt onto,

The tire straps also work well and we are getting faster at them although we are changing things a little each time. If I had to do it again I would get lighter straps with smaller ratchets. I read the rule of thumb is each strap should have a working load equal to the total load. In the case of the smart that is about 1500 pounds. We have 3000 pounders that are a little cumbersome. I picked up a couple of 2000 pounders this week with a little smaller ratchets and we'll see how that goes. It still takes us about 5 minutes longer than it took for the jeep towing four down but we are never in a hurry and I love being able to back up.

Thanks for the suggestion. If you go down that road I would love to hear back on your results.

J and A

Posted By: Daveinet on 10/25/10 04:15pm

Lobstah wrote:

When the new Cooper first came out, I was looking at them on their website, and a friend of mine came by, glanced over my shoulder quickly and said "Huh...does it COME with the clown shoes?"

[emoticon]

Jim
Till he drives it. I was not all that impressed until I drove one. Now I own one.

Posted By: wny_pat on 10/25/10 04:36pm

John & Angela wrote:

Daveinet wrote:

You know its funny you should ask. The very first thing I said to Angela after we started it was, geesh, it sounds like a diesel kabota lawn tractor. [emoticon]
Like the Kabota in my Cub Cadet garden tractor!!

Posted By: dmlaidlaw on 04/03/11 03:20pm

Hi: This is exactly the type of trailer we are looking for. Can you tell us where you purchased it?

Thanks,

Maggie and David Laidlaw

Posted By: John / Angela on 04/04/11 06:41am

Hi. The trailer came from Kendon trailers in Anaheim California. Talk to Elliot.
http://www.kendonusa.com/

Posted By: pusherpilot on 04/04/11 08:54am

Saw one of those big Class "C"s on steroids with a Smart Car on a lift in the back. It was at a McDonalds on AZ95 north of Quartzsite. The little thing was sidewise on the lift and didn't hang over either side! The guy was also towing a stacker with another car, boat and a motorcycle. Sorry now that I didn't take pix.
Ron

Posted By: thunderstruckhd on 04/04/11 02:53pm

hershey wrote:

Your kidding right ??? That rig can tow 3+ times that. Tongue weight is at least 500lbs and towing cap should be between 6000 and 10,000.

Prevost H3-45 Featherlite Vantare
500HP Series 60 Detroit Diesel
Assorted trailers,toys and toads
And Zoie the Doberman.(01/26/01 - 07/23/11) R.I.P.

Print  |  Close