cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building a Dodge, oops, Ford TV

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an appointment Monday at Dodge to order a truck to be built for me.

Question: Should I spring for the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle for $435 and/or the 4-Corner Air Suspension for $1,715?

I am new to towing. It will have the 3.92 axle (as opposed to the 3.21 axle). The 3.55 axle requires the EcoDiesel or the V6 gas engine.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB
79 REPLIES 79

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
Sigh. I wish Ford had offered the Max Payload Package on the truck I have ordered. I would have jumped on that with both feet.

I tried for a year to order one with the max payload package and finally gave in when I realized that Ford just didn't want to build the truck that I wanted to buy. I still wish that I had it but to be honest the truck I have is doing the job and is doing it better than I expected. If anyone from Ford is paying attention I want them to know that Ford left quite a bit of money on the table by not being willing to build what I wanted. It sound like they left some on the table in your case as well.

It is pretty devious of Ford to run so many commercials bragging about their superior payload in the half ton trucks without telling you that it is practically impossible to purchase a truck with that rating.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
The reason why makers offer a heavy half and a max tow package with slightly higher payloads, is that people use these trucks as "daily drivers".

I was all ready to buy a F250 but was stopped in my tracks when I found that the 2016 F250 Screw 4WD 6.2L w/3.73 Locking differential was only getting 10 mpg city, 15/16 mpg Expressway and 12 mpg mixed. I simply can't afford to drive a truck with that bad of fuel economy as my work commuting truck.

My 2016 F150 Screw 4WD 5.0L w/3.73 locking differential is getting 18.5/19 mpg mixed and 22 mpg expressway. I don't drive city but I'm thinking around 16 mpg.

When you add in the HD payload package you lose about 1.5 mpg due to the extra weight of Ford's thicker F150 frame, the other components and the heavier LT tires. Still much better fuel economy than the F250. Plus with any of the engines, the 5.0L or 3.5L Ecboost or 2.7L Ecoboost, you'll get a much more powerful truck as the 6.2L just doesn't offer the power for such a heavy F250 truck.

The F150 heavy Duty Payload package truck doesn't have the tow capacity, or hitch rating that a F250 has, and doesn't have the variable snow plow compatibility that the F250 has, but for people who want "1" vehicle, the heavy half ton does great.

Even so, my truck without the heavy duty payload of around 2300 lbs, has 1890 lbs which is enough for any of the trailers I would ever purchase for my family. So I stopped looking for Heavy Duty Payload trucks that I was going to order. My truck pulls my trailer good even without LT tires but if I towed more, I'd definitely get those LT tires.

My truck is about $2K less than the F250 I was looking at but since there were few with my needed options, the F250 was slightly better options to account for the extra money where MSRP is concerned. The F250 also didn't have the rebates that the F150 did so it's total cost was about $4K more.

Now when you consider apples to apples, and put a Ecoboost with Max Tow package in my truck, along with the Heavy duty package and match them closely in option, their final costs after rebates and X-plans were within a few hundred dollars of each other.

But the F250 still came out much more expensive in operating costs per month especially with fuel.

The F150 that's optioned right with good payload is hard to beat. The new Chevy Silverados are also very close in towing and payload to the Ford F150s.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sigh. I wish Ford had offered the Max Payload Package on the truck I have ordered. I would have jumped on that with both feet.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
The issue with a HD 150/1500 is they are still running the same frame that a true 150/1500 runs. Then factor in the cost of the up graded parts, six lug axles bigger springs and you are paying the same price for a lessor truck. The only reason I bought the Ecodiesel is for the fuel mileage and ride.

We no longer have a RV and do not plan on getting one until we are two to three years from retirement. Then it will be a smaller 7500# GVW trailer. In the mean time this truck tows my 6800# boat with ease and gets great mileage doing it. Plus it rides as good or close to my dads Caddy and that was out of his mouth!

If we decide to get into a larger trailer I will sell this and go back into a 2500. But at the cost of these new 150/1500 HD trucks I don't see me ever buying a want-to-be 2500. But then I said I would never own a short bed truck either so who knows.

Don

I am not sure that you get the idea that the frames are the same. The F150 Max Payload package includes a different frame that is thicker and heavier (about 200lbs). Even with the standard frame my 2016 F150 is so much sturdier than my 1991 F250 there is no comparison. You nailed the reasons that I dropped from a 250 to a 150 and I fully agree that you don't need a 3/4 ton truck for your boat. I don't understand why getting a camper a few hundred pounds heavier would make you go from "this truck is great" to "this truck just won't do". I suggest that you try it before you trade. All levels of trucks in all brands are much sturdier than they were 15 to 20 years ago and can pull much more than traditional knowledge allows. Some of the same goes for 6 lug tires. The bolt circle and bolt size are important too and some have increased over the years. Ford used to put 7 lugs on the max payload package but determined that the new trucks can haul just as much with only 6 lugs. It was not a flippant decision.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
All over the forum I hear this argument that half tons cost the same as three quarter tons. I didn't see that when I shopped. There was roughly a 10-12k difference. Either I got a great deal on my half ton or you all get great deals on your three quarter.

From my shopping experience, with equivalent options and configurations a half ton may cost slightly less than a heavy duty gasser or $4-6k less than a heavy duty diesel. To me that's not a very material difference in the scheme of what you'll spend on a truck with everything factored in (up front cost, fuel, insurance, maintenance, tires, etc).

My Ram is a basic model and cost less than most crew cab 4x4 half tons despite the Cummins.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
All over the forum I hear this argument that half tons cost the same as three quarter tons. I didn't see that when I shopped. There was roughly a 10-12k difference. Either I got a great deal on my half ton or you all get great deals on your three quarter.

It depends on how they are optioned. My 17 dodge 2500HD had a lower msrp than my 15 Silverado 1500 did, my Silverado was a highly optioned LT, my dodge is a tradesman.

I don't mind though. I'm a simple country hick. I don't miss the 7" touch screen, heated leather seats or any of that stuff.

Honestly, my dodge is 3xs the truck that Chevy was. I'd trade the increased capacity for all the fancy stuff again in a heartbeat. But that's just me and what works for me. YMMV.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
The issue with a HD 150/1500 is they are still running the same frame that a true 150/1500 runs. Then factor in the cost of the up graded parts, six lug axles bigger springs and you are paying the same price for a lessor truck. The only reason I bought the Ecodiesel is for the fuel mileage and ride.

We no longer have a RV and do not plan on getting one until we are two to three years from retirement. Then it will be a smaller 7500# GVW trailer. In the mean time this truck tows my 6800# boat with ease and gets great mileage doing it. Plus it rides as good or close to my dads Caddy and that was out of his mouth!

If we decide to get into a larger trailer I will sell this and go back into a 2500. But at the cost of these new 150/1500 HD trucks I don't see me ever buying a want-to-be 2500. But then I said I would never own a short bed truck either so who knows.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

blt2ski
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
As for the paylaod comments, Ram will be playing the "HD half ton" game coming 2018. Never understood why anyone would buy a want-to-be 2500 for more or the same money? But the manufactures love selling sub par trucks to people that have too much money.

Don

Don,

There is probably a number of us wanting a heavier half, or lighter 3/4ton or 15/25 series truck. I've noticed an equal to my 2000, 90's body style GM, that an equal 2500 has gone from my base weight of 4800 lbs empty, to close to 6000 lbs for a base reg cab rwd truck. Yeah the gvwr is up from 8600 to 9900 lbs.....so I gain all of 100 lbs net of the 1300 gvwr lbs I gained too! I can see where a 4500-5000 lbs tare truck, be it badged a 15 or 25, a rated gvwr in the 7700-8400 range, carry upwards of 4000 lbs, have the ability to order some of the 3.x-4L V6 forced induction motors producing 250-300 hp, torque in the 300-400 lb ft relm, with the current 6, 8, 10 sp auto transmissions, correct gearing, you would have a truck capable of mid 20 mpg empty, due to the epa mandates, smaller powerful motors that could move a truck that weighs 8000lbs well, along with tote an 8-10K trailer with relative ease. No it will not keep up the the 6.x L TD motors....but the owner does not expect it too either. I would consider trading my current truck on something like this frankly. This is a market that has been left alone. Its the, not all hammers fit the same hand, nail job etc.....One does not use a 6lb sledge to drive brads and tacks into things! Like wise, using a 4oz tack hammer to drive a 12" spike into something is rather useless too.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your purchase! I'm sure it'll be a great truck.

One suggestion. Please think long and hard about not getting the factory trailer tow mirrors. That was one of the major reasons I traded in my 15 Silverado on this ram. The slip on Longview trailer tow mirrors were terrible. Virtually no visibility out of the right mirror and the left was not great either. Chevy dealer wanted $1200 to put them on. Crazy!

I towed my tt for the first time with the ram on Sunday and it was wonderful. The ram has the factory trailer tow mirrors and they worked great.

Just something to think about before its too late. If your going to tow a lot, I'd give up the BLIS for the trailer tow mirrors in a heartbeat. Good luck.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! You will enjoy it. We've towed over 20k miles with ours already, and it does the job well. 1800 pounds of payload here. We've been to a scale and it is easy to go over on the rear axle. We put only light items in the truck bed. That works for us, as the trailer has plenty (2500) of CCC.

Give us a picture of the rig when you get them together.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats OP! Sounds like you will have a really nice truck soon. I'm glad you're getting what you want and I hope it lasts a long time with no issues. Post some pics once you take delivery.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Cograts on your new truck, had I seen this sooner I would have given you a Friends and Family number for a Ram.

To answer your question,
3.5l EcoBoost V6....Well nope that is a Ford thing.
10 speed transmission....Rams have an 8 speed
Blind Spot Information System with Cross Traffic Alert.... yes but only on the upper trim levels.
Pro Trailer Assist...LOL Nope most Ram drivers know how to back up a trailer. :W Also if you put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel you get the same effect as that little knob Ford has.
Reverse Sensing System....Not sure what that is.
Tailgate Step....Nope the man step is a Ford thing. GMC/Chevy has a cut out in the bumper and Ram has a pull out corner step (dealer installed option).
Power Movable Pedals....yep and has had them since 2002.
Hill Start Assist....Yep.

If any of this is available on the RAM, they didn't tell me about it.

As for the paylaod comments, Ram will be playing the "HD half ton" game coming 2018. Never understood why anyone would buy a want-to-be 2500 for more or the same money? But the manufactures love selling sub par trucks to people that have too much money.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
A guy I work with has a 2016 3.5 Ecoboost and he can't get the trailer backup deal to work with his Airstream - something to do with not being able to mount the sticker on the tongue with the way the tanks and etc. are configured. I can't remember the details. I believe his Airstream is a 2015 model, also a Flying Cloud (but longer). Anyway just a heads up that you might run into some issues. He just decided to learn to back it up the old fashioned way which you ought to know how to do anyway, imo.

Never even put my stickers on to calibrate mine. Never had a problem backing up to ever need this slick feature. You start using it, then you can't back up without it.

People who have skills need to exercise them, to keep them. People that don't, need these vehicles to drive themselves.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.