cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

campground near Yosemite

slay
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are planning a west coast trip for spring 2024 that will include a visit to Yosemite the first weekend in May. I have a 35-foot Class A so I do not intend to stay inside the park. Any suggestions on the best campground outside the park to use as a base camp? Also, my wife and I are not wilderness hikers so we intend to see the touristy attractions. Should we drive our car into the park or plan to use the shuttle buses? This is a one-time trip since we live on the east coast and I don't want to mess it up.
Steve and Vivian
2013 Winnebago Vista 35F
2016 Ford Fiesta pushing from behind
Coffee is the sustenance of life
6 REPLIES 6

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III

We have stayed at Yosemite Pines RV Park multiple times to use as an access to Yosemite and the surrounding areas.

There is public transportation (bus) that picks up in front of Yosemite Pines. There is a cost per person but it drops you off inside the park at the visitor center. From there, you can use the free park shuttle system to access the features of the park.

https://yarts.com/

https://yosemitepinesrv.com/

Good luck and have a great trip.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Back in 2013 we stayed at Yosemite Pines in Groveland, CA and found it to be a very nice stay though it does take about an hour to drive into the park central where the shuttles are available. We also visited in May and found the park very nice and all of the falls flowing profusely. Allow a few days as there is much to see. Don't forget to take a trip to Hetch-Hetchy which is an almost duplicate of Yosemite though it is just a lake providing water to the San Francisco area - a lot of history there!!

Also be sure to drive up to Tuolumne Meadows on a day trip. It is magnificent in May and there will still be snow in places as well as fantastic views along the the way through Tioga Pass.

Our write up of that stay is located here on our blog.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
opnspaces wrote:
It depends on the month and day of the week. If you're coming in on a March or early April and on a Tuesday and arriving at parking before 9 I would just drive in. If a weekend I would take the shuttle. Getting closet to May I would say take a shuttle or Yarts.

Even after driving in, TAKE THE SHUTTLE to see the different parts of the park.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
It depends on the month and day of the week. If you're coming in on a March or early April and on a Tuesday and arriving at parking before 9 I would just drive in. If a weekend I would take the shuttle. Getting closet to May I would say take a shuttle or Yarts.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
take the shuttle.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
ALL parking in the park is taken by 9:30. So take the shuttle
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos