cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

East Glacier RV Parks

sam22
Explorer III
Explorer III

Hey, looking for some suggestions for RV parks in East Glacier around St Mary.  I'll be spending a few days there in August with my wife and 5yr old daughter.  There doesn't seem to be many options and from what I can they all look somewhat run down with small sites with very mixed reviews.  The KOA is an option, but it's ridiculously expensive...Johnson’s of St. Mary and Heart of Glacier  seems to be the only good alternatives and are quite a bit cheaper but other than nice views at Johnson's they don't look very nice from the pictures I've seen.  Is there any reason to spend the extra the KOA charges?  Thanks!

Camper:
2015 Evergreen Ascend 232BHS
Towed with:
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad

I had the exact same issue with the KOA prices at St. Mary.  However, after researching the other options in the area, it fit our needs best.  If I recall correctly, our "Patio Site" was around $165/night before taxes and fees which is what we'd normally pay to be in a very nice Class A resort.  While this KOA wasn't that, we really enjoyed our stay there as on our "rest" days outside of GNP, we had plenty to do in the campground to keep ourselves and the kids entertained (store, playground, pool, kayaking in the lake).  We briefly checked the other parks nearby when driving to and from GNP and the KOA seemed to have the most to offer, confirming my research.  Some of the smaller parks in the area seemed tidy and convenient, but I didn't regret reserving the KOA.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

srschang
Nomad
Nomad

We stayed at Leaning Tree Cafe and Campground south of Babb in 2019 for a couple nights.  I think it was $20/night with electric and $5 more if you wanted to take a shower.  It was acceptable, the breakfasts there were great!  We stayed there because it was reasonable and we wanted to hike the  Grinnell Glacier trail, 6 miles up to the glacier and 6 miles back down to Many Glacier.  The first night we wandered around the campground and got to know most of the campers, it isn't a huge place.  The next day, after the hike, I grabbed some scotch and sat on the porch of the "Clubhouse" as that's the only place that had wi-fi.  I thought it was weird, there was nobody in the office, but the door was unlocked.  People started showing up, looking for a spot for the night.  They'd go into the office, come back out, and ask me if I new anything about open sites.  As I had met the other campers the night before, I knew who was moving on and what sites were probably open.  So I showed each person to an empty site, and told them to go to the clubhouse later to pay their $20.  I probably got 5 or 6 campers settled into campsites.  Awhile later, a women and her son showed up at the office, I remembered her as the one who checked us in the night before..  I explained to her what sites I had settled people into, and told her that they would bring the $20 to the office when they saw someone there.  She thanked me, she said she had to run her son to the nearest doctor which was a 50 mile drive each way and must have forgotten to lock the office.  In hindsight, it was one of our most memorable and enjoyable camping experiences ever.  

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad

I had the exact same issue with the KOA prices at St. Mary.  However, after researching the other options in the area, it fit our needs best.  If I recall correctly, our "Patio Site" was around $165/night before taxes and fees which is what we'd normally pay to be in a very nice Class A resort.  While this KOA wasn't that, we really enjoyed our stay there as on our "rest" days outside of GNP, we had plenty to do in the campground to keep ourselves and the kids entertained (store, playground, pool, kayaking in the lake).  We briefly checked the other parks nearby when driving to and from GNP and the KOA seemed to have the most to offer, confirming my research.  Some of the smaller parks in the area seemed tidy and convenient, but I didn't regret reserving the KOA.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad

If you cross the border there are a few nice parks including Warerton national park. All new facilities. 30 and 50 amp sites etc.  We easily spend a week there and never run out of hikes and things to do. Many of mountains we could see from our site were in the US. You can see them behind us. 

Hope that helps. 

IMG_4851.jpeg