cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford 150 ??

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just looking into possibly buying a small 5th trailer, under 25' in length. I know weight is a major consideration. Will a Ford 150 tow a small 5th wheel? if so, any recommendation on engine size (gas). Thanks
Brian
28 REPLIES 28

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Veebyes wrote:
jpbuch9309 wrote:
Its not if it can pull it its if it can stop it safely

When you get into a turn a little hot & the beast behind you wants to keep going straight what would you rather be sitting in, the 150 or the 3/4T?

Once again trailer brakes stop the trailer!

If you go into a turn too "Hot" that is driver error, but the best answer is brake hard until in the turn then power through it.
This is far less likely with a 5er than a long TT, so advantage 5th wheel.

Once again may have flawed thinking about cornering, brake before apply power in the curve, the package is more balanced.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
danrclem wrote:
You should follow the advice of getting a camper first and then the truck. I started out with wanting to get a 24' or less but found out quickly that there's not much available in that size range. If you do find a smaller one make sure you check the weights out because something like an Artic Fox can be very heavy.

I finally found a 28' that I liked and the dry weight is 7,500 lbs. Fully loaded it's going to be quite a bit more. I think the Ecoboost specs say that it will haul it but my decision came down to safety. Now before you Ecoboost owners get upset please read all of my post. I'm not saying the Ecoboost is unsafe but I think the F-250 is safer. You can't ever be to safe. If I wasn't retired I may have considered the Ecoboost simply for the fuel mileage but since I don't drive a whole lot the fuel economy won't hurt me much. Another thing is even though I didn't price an Ecoboost I bet they command a premium.

Whatever you do good luck.

Just be careful if you are wanting to stay within the F250's 10,000# GVWR, may be better getting a F350 SRW. Basicly the same truck the F350 just has bigger numbers on the payload sticker.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
jpbuch9309 wrote:

When you get into a turn a little hot & the beast behind you wants to keep going straight what would you rather be sitting in, the 150 or the 3/4T?
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

jpbuch9309
Explorer
Explorer

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
You should follow the advice of getting a camper first and then the truck. I started out with wanting to get a 24' or less but found out quickly that there's not much available in that size range. If you do find a smaller one make sure you check the weights out because something like an Artic Fox can be very heavy.

I finally found a 28' that I liked and the dry weight is 7,500 lbs. Fully loaded it's going to be quite a bit more. I think the Ecoboost specs say that it will haul it but my decision came down to safety. Now before you Ecoboost owners get upset please read all of my post. I'm not saying the Ecoboost is unsafe but I think the F-250 is safer. You can't ever be to safe. If I wasn't retired I may have considered the Ecoboost simply for the fuel mileage but since I don't drive a whole lot the fuel economy won't hurt me much. Another thing is even though I didn't price an Ecoboost I bet they command a premium.

Whatever you do good luck.

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer

Getting there is half the fun of camping.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
johndeerefarmer wrote:
Today's half tons are more capable than the 3/4 tons of yesterday

I agree, and some 1/2 tons are capable of towing some FWs. However, even older 3/4 tons had a RAWR of 6K, and most new 1/2 tons are in the 4K RAWR. This still gives the FW towing advantage to the older 3/4 tons.

Jerry

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Today's half tons are more capable than the 3/4 tons of yesterday
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
My Northwood Fox Mountain specs out like a 1/2 ton towable even though Northwood doesn't advertise it as a 1/2 ton towable.
A newer F150 with about 2200lbs of CCC would be able to tow it. I tow it with a 2500 CTD and it's a perfect combo especially with the EB.
Maybe it's just me but safety concerns aside, I just don't like being maxed out. BTDT with our previous TT and an F150. Always had to be concerned about what I could take. That seemed to take some of the fun out of camping. While I'm overkill with the CTD, I'm not with the 2500 aspect.

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
I have a "half ton towable" fifthwheel and I can tell you now that anything under a 3/4ton truck will be hard pressed to stay within its axle ratings and tow comfortably. Do yourself a favour and go right up to atleasrt a 3/4t truck, heck if your buying new anyways spring for the 350/3500 of your choice for a few extra dollars and open yourself up to many more 5er choices.

Ours is also rated for a 1/2 ton and yes it probably can be towed with a 1/2 ton but I would feel a bunch safer with a minimum 3/4 ton.But I will add I really don't know very much about the brand new trucks. An older 1/2 ton absolutely would not recommend it.
I have a relative that thinks he can haul around a 15000# trailer with a 2002 Dodge 1/2 ton with the 5.9... oh well.
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
Will a Ford 150 tow a small 5th wheel? if so, any recommendation on engine size (gas). Thanks
Brian

Sure.
We've pulled properly matched 5th wheel trailers with F150 (1/2 ton trucks) since 5th wheel trailers became popular. And we have those that didn't do their homework on the matching the truck/trailer weight numbers have a bad experience.

The OP says he is looking for a 5th wheel trailer under 25'
under 25'.
Here's several under 25' 5th wheel trailers to look at http://www.allencampermfg.com/upload/255%20RKS%208.30.pdf.

You want a F150 with;
7050 GVWR...4050 RAWR...3.5 EB...1800-2000 bed payload.

7600 GVWR...4550 RAWR...5.0...2000-2200 bed payload.

7850HD GVWR...4800 RAWR...3.5 EB or 5.0...2400-2500 bed payload.

Don't be fooled by Fords other super cabs/crew cabs 6xxx gvwr and those small 3800 rawr max tow advertizing. These are the smaller size F150 made for small TTs.

We don't need a 3/4 ton truck to pull a small 5th wheel trailer .....unless you just want one.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I have a "half ton towable" fifthwheel and I can tell you now that anything under a 3/4ton truck will be hard pressed to stay within its axle ratings and tow comfortably. Do yourself a favour and go right up to atleasrt a 3/4t truck, heck if your buying new anyways spring for the 350/3500 of your choice for a few extra dollars and open yourself up to many more 5er choices.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can almost never have too much truck. Easy to find yourself driving something within an inch of its rated safe capacity. You can even beef up a truck with airbags & such.

All of this is worthless when you are in situation where the tail is way too big for the dog & you are looking out of the windshield milliseconds away from crashing into something & thinking 'I should have bought a bigger truck'.

All those $$ you cleverly saved by stretching the ability of that smaller truck won't add up to a thing compared to repair costs or, worse, huge medical bills & possible residual pain for years to come.

Choices. Lifes choices.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
In spite of all the naysayers, a properly equipped newer F150 can safely handle a light FW. I did it with a 2004, 5.4, 3.73, towing package, etc., and the newer ones have more capacity.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD