cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The weight police

Cedarcityman
Explorer
Explorer
"My trailer tows just fine" "I don't care about my weight" "5th wheels are not commercial vehicles so what I tow is my business"
I am new here, but not new to scales and weights. I worked at one of the busiest Cat scales in the country. We were located close to a CHP weigh station. I am amazed at the lack of concern about what a TV can tow SAFELY. The first thing I did was take my new truck loaded up the wife, the dogs, filled the tank, added a few gallons of water and went down to the Cat scales. It takes a little time to figure out what you can tow, all the numbers can be a little confusing. However it is very important to know these weight limits. The life of yourself, your family and all the people you share the road with are at risk when you over loaded. I am not talking about a 100lbs, but when you are 1000lbs or more, you are a danger to the rest of us who share the road.

On a second note, when a dealer tells you that your truck can tow anything they have on the lot, RUN. It either shows a lack of knowledge or lack of concern for your safety. I recently was on a lot looking at a used DRV. I know it was too heavy, but just wanted to take a look. A salesman came up and said "nice unit". Of course I agreed, but said my truck can't tow something that heavy. He says my truck can tow anything he sells. I didn't argue, I just left the lot.

Sorry for the long rant, I just had to get this off my chest and as far as the "weight police" keep trying to inform people, most don't listen but some might and you may save a life or two while you are at it.
49 REPLIES 49

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Isn't 10,000 gvw some drivers license limit rating and nothing to do with the actual specs of the truck?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MFL wrote:
I think this thread is more about being over certain ratings, rather than truly overweight. Since some ratings are drive train, class or registration ratings, they may not mean the TV is overweight.

goducks...15 lbs overweight is easy to fix, don't wait until it is 50 lbs over, as fixing that is a much bigger challenge. FWIW, my rig is under all ratings, and I am right at my proper weight too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

SHOWOFF!

:B :C :C

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
I think this thread is more about being over certain ratings, rather than truly overweight. Since some ratings are drive train, class or registration ratings, they may not mean the TV is overweight.

goducks...15 lbs overweight is easy to fix, don't wait until it is 50 lbs over, as fixing that is a much bigger challenge. FWIW, my rig is under all ratings, and I am right at my proper weight too. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

SHOWOFF!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Is this thread about the truck being overweight or the driver being overweight? I keep reading about towing overweight. ๐Ÿ™‚
I'm about 15 lbs overweight myself.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hoppy220 wrote:
I would love for one of the self proclaimed weight police to explain to me the difference between my 2500HD with air bags and upgraded from stock tires to load range E 285 series (3750lbs). How is a 3500HD sitting stock on 265 series tires (3195lbs)the better choice? I want specific answers, not "because the sticker says so" if you notice that sticker says with xxx tire size. I would also like to direct you to any parts store with a searchable parts list. Show me a part number that isn't interchangeable between the 2 trucks.

If you feel I am putting your life at risk because I pull my 5th wheel with my 3/4 ton truck, I suggest you stay off the road.

Hoppy, better yet, explain the difference between my 2001 2500 with Camper and Tow packages, and optional 265/75-16 tires, and the 3500 of the same year. Other than the 3500 had four tires in the rear! Same axle same frame, same springs. They didn't make a SRW 3500 from 94 to 2002, just a 2500 and a 3500 DRW.
I don't need bags to carry our 12,360# GVWR 5er.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
How many times have you heard of someone getting killed because they are over the weight limits? I'm not now or have ever said anyone should tow overweight but your post is a little "Sky is Falling".

Well said.

m35a2
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
I am with OP and goducks10..... maybe stopping 10-20' sooner (having the ability with tv and trailer
could have saved an accident? Yes, am a female, do ALL the driving... either tv/fifth-wheel or motorhome and toad. Same thing "stopping" applies to supplemental braking systems on toads.
Drivers choice and maybe my life or serious injuries?

My rant over.

Just to play devil's advocate -
Do you have disc brakes on your 5th wheel? Probably not; most don't. There's 10-20 feet right there.

Is a trailer safe with drum brakes? Most would say yes, even though all things being equal it won't stop as fast as one with disc brakes. "safe" is a very subjective term.

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
My father was going to order an F250 as he only tows a light 30ft TT and I convinced him to move up to a F350 SRW just in case he ever decides on a fiver, well he's already talking fiver now.... good thing he bought the 350 can gave himself a lot of options.

Some F350 srw have dual gvwr (10k/10.2k/10.4k/10.5k/10.6k/10.7k/10.8k/11k/11.2k/11.4k) for the same truck.

Example;
If he gets a F350 SRW 5600 FAWR 6340 RAWR 176" wheelbase crew cab 6.7 diesel 4wd it can come in a 10000 GVWR or a 11500 GVWR. Same exact truck specs.
Also the F250 has the same 10000 GVWR 5600 fawr 6340 rawr 176" wheelbase crew cab 6.7 diesel 4wd specs.

So we have the same exact truck in a F250 10k gvwr or F350 srw 10k or 11.5k gvwr.

And the weight police say the truck with the higher gvwr sticker is some how safer than the same exact truck with a lower gvwr sticker.

Actual specs tell us different.......if one is interested.

I made sure he ordered the 11.5K GVWR on his as well.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
My father was going to order an F250 as he only tows a light 30ft TT and I convinced him to move up to a F350 SRW just in case he ever decides on a fiver, well he's already talking fiver now.... good thing he bought the 350 can gave himself a lot of options.

Some F350 srw have dual gvwr (10k/10.2k/10.4k/10.5k/10.6k/10.7k/10.8k/11k/11.2k/11.4k) for the same truck.

Example;
If he gets a F350 SRW 5600 FAWR 6340 RAWR 176" wheelbase crew cab 6.7 diesel 4wd it can come in a 10000 GVWR or a 11500 GVWR. Same exact truck specs.
Also the F250 has the same 10000 GVWR 5600 fawr 6340 rawr 176" wheelbase crew cab 6.7 diesel 4wd specs.

So we have the same exact truck in a F250 10k gvwr or F350 srw 10k or 11.5k gvwr.

And the weight police say the truck with the higher gvwr sticker is some how safer than the same exact truck with a lower gvwr sticker.

Some lack the ability or desire to look beyond the fender decal and payload tag. Which is fine until they locate a soapbox.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

Example;

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I never had the chance to compare the previous generation F350 SRW to my previous F250 but I can tell you for sure that there is a huge difference stepping up to my new truck, it "carries" the weight of my fiver a lot better and does not feel nearly as soft on rutted and rough roads. I think that in the Ford's case the extra Leaf makes a huge difference.

In my case the F250 would have been more than sufficient as I have a light enough fiver but when ordering the truck, its almost stupid not to opt for the 350 as its no more money to register in my area and its about the same purchase price.

TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Hoppy220 wrote:
I would love for one of the self proclaimed weight police to explain to me the difference between my 2500HD with air bags and upgraded from stock tires to load range E 285 series (3750lbs). How is a 3500HD sitting stock on 265 series tires (3195lbs)the better choice? I want specific answers, not "because the sticker says so" if you notice that sticker says with xxx tire size. I would also like to direct you to any parts store with a searchable parts list. Show me a part number that isn't interchangeable between the 2 trucks.

If you feel I am putting your life at risk because I pull my 5th wheel with my 3/4 ton truck, I suggest you stay off the road.

There is reality and then there is what's on paper.

Very, very true.

If you are nervous about your abilities, and how to handle the rig you have, change it. That might mean a driving class, upgraded components, or a different trailer. I mean this even if you are completely within your weight ratings. I am pretty sure the person who pulled out in front of my semi and my front tire being inches from a head in that vehicle never gave a thought about the ratings of that vehicle. The 28 tires I had to replace because they had flat spots because I locked up a fully loaded rig weren't cheap.

I am sorry if I offend anyone here, but I knew the bridge laws (if you don't know what that is, don't worry about it, it only applies to commercial vehicles) better than most LEOs, because my livelihood depended on it

I have gotten much better about dealing with the weight police and the "sky is falling and everyone is going to die" posts.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hoppy220 wrote:

There is reality and then there is what's on paper.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD