cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atwood Water Heater Blowing Fuses

drumz
Explorer
Explorer
My Atwood 6 gallon water heater Mod. G6A-BE blew the 2amp fuse located on the circuit board when I switched it on. I replaced the fuse and tried again but it blew a fuse again. This time I took the igniter probes out and cleaned them. I also cleaned all wire connections including the ground wire making sure each one was clean. I didn't have any 2amp fuses left, so I put in a 5amp (not wise I know but we were camping)....anyhow it came on and heated for about a minute, then blew out again. At this point I gave up because I didn't want to damage it any further that I may have using a 5amp fuse.

So....Any thoughts? Anyone once have a similar problem??
4 REPLIES 4

drumz
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Before replacing the board, look at the wiring to the valve, and the eco to check for shorts.

Thanks Chris. I started checking the ECO as you suggested, and found that it was all loose. The plastic holder that holds it tight to the tank was broken. I just decided to buy a replacement ECO/Thermostat kit for $12 bucks. Installed that and a new 2 amp fuse, and it seems to be working just fine. Fired right up and left it run for about 15 mins.

Could it being loose like that make it blow fuses? What does ECO stand for and what does it do?

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Before replacing the board, look at the wiring to the valve, and the eco to check for shorts.
-- Chris Bryant

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
That 2A fuse is for circuit board protection only.....bad circuit on the circuit board is blowing fuse.

And Yes....correct model would be the G6A-8E mentioned.

Atwood board #93865
Dinosaur Electronics board UIB-S (get the protective cover for it also)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It is most likely a bad circuit board. Remove it and look for burnt place on the back side. Oops, can't do this on Atwood potted boards!
Look at your furnace circuit board. Many use the same one. Switch it out temporarily and see if problem goes away.
If new circuit board is required, get a Dinosaur Electronics version.
Verify model, as I believe yours is a G6A-8E.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker