cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LED lights are way too bright

vintholidays
Explorer
Explorer
I have a brand new 2017 Forest River Sunseeker 3170, the puck lights on the ceiling (all 19 of them) are way way too bright. Unfortunately on this rv, you cant just change the "light bulb" you actually have to replace the entire puck light unit. I want to replace them the LED Warm White and I have contacted the light manufacturer which is Command Lighting and they can only replace the unit with the same bright light that is already in them. I have also tried the film sheets that are used in theater for lighting for spotlights, but its still not right, its still very bright in the center. Any suggestions on where I could search for these?? I dont want to have that bright laboratory lighting, especially at night, its so horrible!!! HELP....Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
2oldman wrote:
crasster wrote:
I say replace them. I can't stand interior LED lighting. I don't think it gives a full color spectrum.
Depends on the hue of the light. They come in all ranges of K values.
Thats a ridiculous statement he's made and has said the same in the past. There are CRI specs for LEDs up into the 90's these days, and even the run of the mill (not the junk Chinese ones) are all but impossible to tell apart. He's living in 2005. CRI is measured at specific voltages, and it will fall off dramatically as the voltage falls off and yellows up the output.

x2 there are plenty good quality LED luminaries are out there.

To anyone shopping for replacements, you need to do a tiny bit of leg work. Don't expect Elkhart or Camping World to do it, they've got blinders on and are only chasing the dollar.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
crasster wrote:
I say replace them. I can't stand interior LED lighting. I don't think it gives a full color spectrum.
Thats a ridiculous statement he's made and has said the same in the past. There are CRI specs for LEDs up into the 90's these days, and even the run of the mill (not the junk Chinese ones) are all but impossible to tell apart. He's living in 2005. CRI is measured at specific voltages, and it will fall off dramatically as the voltage falls off and yellows up the output.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have cheap puck LEDs that flicker when dimmed. I also have more expensive M4 Product pucks that dim without flickering due to the voltage regulators on the chip. But try a dimmer and see if it works for you.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
I feel your pain but only with the one light above our bed in our trailer. While the rest of them are the same lights they do not bother us like the very last one you turn off at night.

I have not tried it yet but I was considering experiamenting with different shades of window tint on the lenses. Figured I could get descent scraps at a tint shop.

Hey 1320Fastback, this is an RV forum, you "gotta" put a little bit of info 'bout your TT in your signature too! inquiring minds would like to know.

Nice truck.

I am in the process of converting my View for the second time. First time I used some Goldstar "bulbs" that fit into the socket, were flat panel, with 24 SMD's on each and seemed to work great. I used, and like, natural white light. It gets muted thru the frosted light covers and my old eyes need all the light they can get.

Well, the SMD's in the Goldstars started failing, with very little use. I have a couple with all still working, three with three of the SMD's out, and a couple with 10 or 12 of them out (trashed them). My guess is that there is no heat sink in them and heat killed them.

So now for the second go 'round I am reworking the fixtures (Progressive Dynamics 790 series) by removing the domed metal reflectors (of which the sockets are a permanent part) and installing flat aluminum plates to allow me to mount new flat panel LEDs from M4 Products.

I cut off the socket adapters and am hard wiring them. The sockets were part of the domed reflector and there was no flat surface to mount the LED to, so I had to make flat pieces to replace the domed reflectors.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Mocoondo wrote:
The only reason your coach has those bright white lights is because those fixtures are cheaper by over half for the manufacturer to install.
x2. The universal reason.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are plenty of 12V RV fixtures out there that do not present antiseptic white light. The only reason your coach has those bright white lights is because those fixtures are cheaper by over half for the manufacturer to install. When you get up into the $30-40 each price range, you will find many fixtures with "soft" white or "warm" white light.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Larry-D wrote:
Window tint, cut to fit inside the dome.
x2

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Led dimmers work differently for LED light than for regular incandescent lights... The LED DIMMER changes the pulse width of the operating DC voltage to create the dimmer light output. You just can't reduce the 12VDC feeding the unit.

This is probably what you need to do just for the one light or even for the whole series of lights... Search AMAZON for different LED DIMMERs to use... I suspect all of these LED lights are fed by the same 12VDC source.

Something like this perhaps... Very inexpensive... You would want to know how many 12V DC amps your current zone is using to see if this is able to handle your present DC Current needed...

LED SUPERBRIGHT

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
is the OP still here?

What does too bright mean, is there too much light, or is it too blue?

Larry-D
Explorer
Explorer
Window tint, cut to fit inside the dome. Don't peel the backing off so it's not sticky. Easy to install, easy to remove. If one layer doesn't tone it down enough do two. Works well.

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same complaint. Our 2015 Durango has 9 bright lights in the downstairs and it is way overkill and I hate them. Once dusk arrives, we turn them off and turn on the lamps. I guess since the inside design colors are so dark they think we need spotlights inside. Bad design features all around. (I added a rug, colorful pillows and curtains to brighten it)
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
vintholidays wrote:
I have a brand new 2017 Forest River Sunseeker 3170, the puck lights on the ceiling (all 19 of them) are way way too bright. Unfortunately on this rv, you cant just change the "light bulb" you actually have to replace the entire puck light unit. I want to replace them the LED Warm White and I have contacted the light manufacturer which is Command Lighting and they can only replace the unit with the same bright light that is already in them. I have also tried the film sheets that are used in theater for lighting for spotlights, but its still not right, its still very bright in the center. Any suggestions on where I could search for these?? I dont want to have that bright laboratory lighting, especially at night, its so horrible!!! HELP....Thanks

Post a link to the model from Command please.