Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motor home?

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
We just got back from camping at Lake Camanche. We have a 2017 Cougar bunk house trailer, model 31sqbwe. I really like this trailer but,,,,,,,,,,,,my husband and I are both getting along in years. Hitching and unhitching are getting to be a little much. I see the dealer we got our trailer from has a Class A, 2005, winnebago 3510. Anyone here have experience with this unit? I'm not a huge fan of winnebagos but this Adventurer looks pretty nice. Thanks!
27 REPLIES 27

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
The Ready Brute Elite towbar includes a surge brake system. Made by NSA Industries. I have been using it for 5 years and it does great on the flat and in the mountains.
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
If you do decide to tow a car look into the tow bars that include the braking system.

Plenty of forum members here use that type and can give you advice on that type of braking system.

Those types eliminate the need to buy a Brake Buddy which has to be inserted ""on the floor"" of the toad and hooked up to the brake and up against the seat, then adjusted, etc. Put in when you leave and then taken out when you want to use it. All while bending over.

I bought the Brake Buddy and it is a strain on the back if you have a very small low to the ground car.

I had a Chevy Tracker and I literally had to get down on my knees to insert the braking system. Which was painful for my knees and back.
If I had do overs I would buy the all in one braking tow bar.

There is no such thing as a tow bar that includes a braking system. Not sure what you are referring to.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

bitster98
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen some pretty impressive damage done when the 5vr drops down on the truck bed!!!! Lol!!

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to add to my TT v Motorhome post, if I had another need for a large 3/4 ton or bigger truck, I would have probably gone with a TT or 5th wheel over a motorhome. I know people who are farmers who already have the big trucks and when several have asked my advice I tell them I'd get a trailer over a motorhome just because of the expense involved, and the fact they already have a truck.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had a travel trailer for the last 6 years. We purchased it because it was much cheaper than a motorhome and I already had a truck. We wanted to make sure that camping/traveling was something we wanted to do before we spent a bunch of money. We sold the TT back in February and ordered a new 2018 Miramar 35.3 and just took it on our first trip. The motorhome was SO much easier to setup than the TT. Hooking up the Jeep was a piece of cake. Another plus was the motorhome being cool once we arrived at our destination. With the trailer, once I got it hooked up and the electric tuned on, it took an hour or so to get cooled down inside (we live in Florida). With the motorhome, I ran both AC units during the drive (generator) and we stayed nice and cool. A hated getting rid of the trailer as we had years of fun with it (and it was paid for) but traveling in the motorhome was so much more comfortable. Especially traveling with 4 dogs.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If you do decide to tow a car look into the tow bars that include the braking system.

Plenty of forum members here use that type and can give you advice on that type of braking system.

Those types eliminate the need to buy a Brake Buddy which has to be inserted ""on the floor"" of the toad and hooked up to the brake and up against the seat, then adjusted, etc. Put in when you leave and then taken out when you want to use it. All while bending over.

I bought the Brake Buddy and it is a strain on the back if you have a very small low to the ground car.

I had a Chevy Tracker and I literally had to get down on my knees to insert the braking system. Which was painful for my knees and back.
If I had do overs I would buy the all in one braking tow bar.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
noonenosthis1 wrote:
Yes, that is what I'm talking about. Add to it the three dogs we travel with and waiting outside till all is level to put the slides out. sigh,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm not against trailers, but I can tell you the main reasons I like the motorhome better. Setup really isn't one of the main reasons, but it is nice. My main reason for liking the motorhome is the ride, followed by the versatility for non-camping stuff. By ride I mean it's nice to be up eye level with the truckers and for the wife it's nice that she can access the motorhome on the road. Now we have a longer range which is dependent on my bladder and not hers. But as I get older the distance between stops get shorter. But a bathroom break in a motorhome is generally take an off ramp and either pull to the side of the off ramp or the on ramp, take care of what you need to do, and get back on the road without ever getting out.

For the non-camping use, I mean it's nice to take the motorhome to airshows and races and other day events like that. I don't do it as often as I thought it would, but it is nice. If you ever go to Disneyland there is RV parking that is not far from the front gate really close to the tram stop. Nice to have the motorhome right there to go back to and take a nap! I don't recall if the RV spaces are big enough to take a TT or not, but they may be.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you're rolling down the Interstate (which I avoid as much as possible) and hit a multi mile line of stopped line of traffic, you'll be happy you chose the motorhome.
The toilet and everything else is available without going outside. You'll love it.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We trade in a 5 year or TT for an 11 year old Adventurer for the same reason. Back the TT on blocks to level side to side or push a button. In hook the WD hitch and use the tongue jack to unhook the TT or pull two pins to unhook the toad. In the rain with the class A you can be setup without ever going out side.
We pulled d the TT with an Excursion and I am a ford guy, I like the 8.1 GMC.

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
Love the motor home,pull in and you are set up.Fully self contained,pull four down five min to hook or unhook.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Had a TT and then went to a MH. And NEVER looked back!

I have back and knee problems but it has never stopped me from doing all the things I like. That is until I bought a TT. What a pain, literally! :B

I do a lot of sporting events where the show might be in one spot on Saturday and another on Sunday and of course almost every weekend.

I'd still be there all alone in the lot hooking up, loading gear and then the dogs and their crates from the TT back to the TV. And then have to reverse the same process when I arrived at the next venue.

While my friends with MH's would be long gone on the road getting to the next event way before me and grabbing all the good spots!

IMHO, If you have any physical limiting ailments a MH is the way to go.

Pull in, park and open a cold one!
Then sit back and watch your friends unhooking, leveling, schelping their gear from the TV to the TT or FW, etc. etc. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Our last 5er had hydraulic levelers and it truly was pretty easy. What I didn't like was the big tow vehicle.

We decided the MH is bliss for us 🙂 Years ago I was setting my pin box stabilizer in a snow storm when a big DP pulled in next to me splashing my tennis shoes. He looked outside at the snow, deployed his slides, turned on the football game and then went to bed. He left the next morning and never opened his door! I said - someday 🙂
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 Adventurer 32V and we love it, our previous rig was a 1990 Bounder 27D and loved it even more but stuff was falling off due to exposure.

I don't think the 2005 is a Chevy. Go to winnebagoind.com and look at the sales brochure for all the specs. You can also download all the electrical drawings and parts catalog for the Winnie.

I also am tired of leveling with blocks and the hydraulic levelers are a wonder, the slides open easily and provide so much room.

One thing that was a problem in the Winnies is the front coach heater motor is a pain in the backside to replace and they don't last very long.

Download the sales brochure and check it out. I disided to check the engine on the 3510 just for my own edification and it appears there were two Fords and three Chevrolets for that model.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

jyrostng
Explorer
Explorer
ask the dealer if you can borrow it for a few days on a try out.
2000 F53 Southwind 32v