cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help adding satellite to my RV

wingnutpc
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2021 Coleman Light 1805RB with a Winegard Air antenna. I recently bought a portable satellite dish. I connected it directly to the receiver and it worked great. When I connect to the outside connector it does not work even when I turn the antenna amp off. Currently I have two coaxial cables coming out of the wall. One connected to the antenna booster and one connected directly to the TV. The rv dealership has told me the outside connector is for cable only. The specs for the rv state there is satellite pre-wiring. What does "satellite prewiring" mean? Is there a way to connect to the outside cable inlet. I would rather not feed it through a window.
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The reason it does not work when you use the cable inlet is the amp is not the amp it's a swich and power inserter.. The Amp is in the Over the Air antenna head. not in the wall.

The Sat receiver supplies one of two DC voltages to the LNB in the antenna. also some signal info.. And all of that can NOT pass through the winegard switch.
"
So you have two options..
You can access the back of the Winegard wall plate disconnect the park cable *(I think that is the center connector) and extend it to the receiver.. I do not like to do this for multiple reasons.

Option 2 is run a nice new RG-6 (Get it at any Hardware, Lowes, Home Depot) from the receiver to any handy hole in the body (like next to a water pipe for example) and out to a compartment wheere you either store a coiled cable (Not my first choice) or use a double female (Barrel) connector or mount a connection box.

Or alternatively drill a hole and install a bulkhead fitting properly sealed

And unplug the receiver (or otherwise remove AC power) Before connecting or disconnecting antenna. Just for safety. RG-6 quality stuff, all the way from Receiver LNB port to antenna if you please.

WHY. Well. losses, 6 has about 1/4 the loss of 59
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
The outside cable connection is intended for cable only in many RV's. It's hard to know how it's wired unless you can get hold of a wiring diagram. As mentioned above, you can remove the power supply (not a booster) from the wall and find the coax marked cable. Disconnect this and and a coax extension to this with a barrel connector and connect that cable to the satellite receiver. If it works then you are lucky and have a direct run from the outside connection to the wall plate. If it does not work then there are splitters between the 2 connections and this line will not work. See if you can find a way to route a new line from anywhere outside (firewall, storage compartment, etc.) to where your receiver is located.
If you were lucky and the satellite works while disconnected from the power supply, all you need is a high quality high-isolation A/B switch. Connect the coax that runs from outside to the 1 input on the A/B switch and the 2 outputs will go back to the power supply and the other to the receiver. Now it's a simple choice between using park cable or your satellite antenna.

abdulal
Explorer
Explorer
Does adding satelite to RV doest affect ***Link Removed***car insurance or warranty?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Pull the antenna power supply. I think you will find outside cable connected to it. You will have to bypass power supply.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any TV type splitters, etc will block the much different satellite coax signal. Find and remove them.

It might not be that hard to run a new coax from the receiver to any outside area with a barrel connector. No need to run to the common utility connection area.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Like you, I found that my Tailgater satellite had to be connectedly directly to the receiver. My solution was to take the cable to the satellite input of the booster, unplug it, and connect it directly to the receiver. (If necessary, use an extension co-ax cable to reach the receiver.)

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
Satellite prewire usually means it is wired for a roof top satellite dish.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, my TT also stated that it was satellite tv ready but I only had a single exterior coax input. Thought I would have to install a dedicated coax run to my satellite receiver, but found and performed this Satellite rewire mod and it has worked flawlessly for over a dozen years. My DW wouldn't even go RVing unless we have satellite tv onboard like we have at home, I don't watch a ton of tv while RVing, but we do love our sports teams and keeping up with their progress while on the road is fun.