cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do you do to maintain your PC

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
I notice that after spending some time researching an item to purchase by going to multiple different websites or spending time on some forum boards, that my computer will start running slower, having trouble opening pages or being hesitant and jerky when trying to type into a search bar. I have found that I can resolve some of these problems by running a disc cleaner and restarting. Its' not always perfect because the computer sometimes is slow to get going again. I'm not sure if I should click all the disc cleaner categories before I click delete or only delete what is checked automatically. I have found this helps by just stumbling around through all this new stuff and not from any real knowledge or training.

I was hoping others on here that are sharper than I could help us lower ranked users with your secrets of how you keep your computer humming along happily.

What do you do? How often do you do it? How does one figure out which programs that have mysteriously showed up on the program list can be uninstalled without problems?
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity
24 REPLIES 24

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I run Cleanup by Steven Gould (free) and ccleaner. Malwarebytes and Avast

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Travelin2 wrote:
Well, I figured there is no need in asking for advice if you don't make use of whats offered. So, I installed Ccleaner and ran that then I switched to Firefox from Microsoft Edge, and installed the Adbloc add-on. I noticed an immediate improvement in response time in the computer. The Ccleaner ran for about 10 minutes to come up with a list of many, many thousands of files to delete. I will continue to read and learn from the other thoughts offered here.

I do find something odd.....I use "Besthomepageever" for my homepage on Firefox and the search bar on that homepage still has the Google search engine logo on the bar. I'm not sure how I get rid of that and make it use Firefox. Maybe just don't use that bar but the one up at the top on the Firefox bar?
At the top right side, there is a box with 3 lines - click it, select options, then select search from the left. There is a drop down box to choose the default search. If there are no other choices in that box, click on the Restore Default Search Engines button below - and the add more search engines link below that if your preferred search engine is not in the list.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

acker1
Explorer
Explorer
When I have problems I go here: http://forum.worldstart.com/ Been using it for years. It has a couple of people that are excellent with helping out. She will tell you what to run, you post the results, she'll read them then suggest the next step. Also has a list of safe places to download from, list of links to free ad blockers, virus protection, malware protection, etc. Do yourselves a favor and at least check it out.

DICK
40' 2010 Phaeton QTH
toad--2013 GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup 4X4
Viet Vet '65, Ia Drang Valley survivor (We Were Soldiers)
Elks
www.4ezdaz.com Same site, different URL

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
For me
Firefox was the answer
When it gets constipated I press the REFRESH button. Magic

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to AVG antivirus and CCleaner I have found it very useful to use System Mechanic. It does an excellent job of speeding up slow PC's. I've used it on many computers for people with excellent results.

As for regularly reformatting and reinstalling I have never had to do that to solve any slow PC problem.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
One thing almost no one thinks of is blowing out the dust !

If you have a laptop just you "canned air" and spray in all of the vents. It will run cooler and the fan will not come on as quick.

Desktop need to be taken outside before opening the side and blowing them out because they can have an absolute TON of dust and hair inside them !

I just did my laptop and now the fan is running at idle speed most of the time !

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Try this: Linux Mint

Easy to operate, looks nice, all programs are free.
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
It would be ********** if it was a bad word.

Heisenberg was a Physicist. Or another was a high school chemistry teacher and a cook.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have found many ads seem to carry a little something extra with them... Which is why I have a first rate firewall and multiple anti virus programs none of which are McAffee (They have been rumored to release viruses to encourage you to buy their product,, a crime, I do not support them).

Still slows down though.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:
Wow I did not know Cra_p was a bad word.
For all I know, Heisenberg may be a bad word! ๐Ÿ™‚
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Wow I did not know Cra_p was a bad word.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I had an IT job. People who worked with me still bring their stuff over. They go to the worst places online. And I have seen their all, I warned them beforehand that they had trails. The best way for them to maintain speeds are the basic settings on **** Cleaner.See here

It is a little bothersome for me trying to sell other versions so I do not use it. I have my own ways. But for most they find it worth the trouble. AND it works.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

MrWizard
i use Malwarebytes and Avast AntiVirus
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
HackerAce wrote:
Buy a Macbook, but seriously, when I was a Windows user I would routinely format the hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch.

Look into Cisco Umbrella, a cheap way to protect yourself from the evil ness of the interwebs.

I sincerely don't know what you could possibly be doing to your computer that would require you to reformat it routinely. I built the computer I'm using to type this post about 5 years ago, installed Windows on it then (Windows 7, since upgraded in-place to Win 10) and haven't experienced any slowdowns or malfunctions that would require a reformat. I have had computers that I used for 10 years without reformatting. The onlt time you should need to reformat and reinstall is in the case of a disk drive failure.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here