cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A Different Sort Of RV

shakyjay
Explorer
Explorer
I know some people are going to have negative comments but beyond the political and social issues what this guys does is really cool. Not everyone might think of them as RV's but they are on wheels and can be moved from location to location. As a bit of a junk collector myself I just appreciate his inventiveness.

Shelters From Garbage
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas
15 REPLIES 15

D___M
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend that makes his rounds of the supermarkets around here and gets the discards with expired sell by dates and gives them to the people in the tent city that is around here. Its still good food, it just didn't sell.

The stores used to toss the stuff into the dumpster, but now they just stack it inside the back door and wheel it out when he shows up. He and the guy that is building these little shelters deserve a special place in heaven.

For those of you that find these little shelters weird or ugly, think of them as a starter RV ๐Ÿ™‚
Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

My computer beat me at chess once; but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

woodgeezer
Explorer
Explorer
I have friends who try and help the homeless, this is a great idea, I will pass along. I'll even take it with me to Habitat board meeting. That's thinking outside the box, about the box.

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
This builder has a good heart. He is helping the homeless.
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Shelter is shelter, and I respect anyone who makes life better for those who truly need it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Campinfan wrote:
They look like doghouses and I mean no disrespect to those who may choose to live in one.

Many a husband has found himself in the dog house from time to time after all ๐Ÿ™‚
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

kknowlton
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty cool idea - way better shelter than cardboard (or worse). And yes, they do look like doghouses. ๐Ÿ™‚ I like that he's thinking of teaching others how to do this. Who knows, he may make some homeless folks into entrepreneurs!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
Great article,have seen families living in cardboard boxes in the southeast. This would be better than that. I for one am thankful that I have what I have, but know many that have not much.
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

Tothill
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for sharing.

buzzard616
Explorer
Explorer
Those are outstanding! They are clever and well thought out. I'm thinking if I upgraded from a doorway or box to one of those I would probably no longer consider myself homeless.

Stu
Stu & Jackie Metcalfe
2000 Salem 27FKSS
2008 Sierra 2500 HD gasser

WishWeWereCampi
Explorer
Explorer
They look good to me, if I had no shelter I would be stoked to have something like that, especially since it's on wheels and doesn't need gas to move around.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
What an awesome and compassionate thing to do!! And a lot more elegant than sleeping in a dumpster....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Yes, they do look like doghouses.

But, if I was in that unfortunate position on a cold rainy night, I would much rather be in one of them than in a cardboard box.

That's a really decent thing he's doing.

X2. At least he is trying to do something that will help someone

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
I remember working on an environmental project on Chicago's south side and seeing homeless people living in cardboard boxes with plastic garbage bags and blue tarps stretched over them to keep the rain from destroying the cardboard.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, they do look like doghouses.

But, if I was in that unfortunate position on a cold rainy night, I would much rather be in one of them than in a cardboard box.

That's a really decent thing he's doing.