cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

new 2024

naturist
Nomad
Nomad

Well, the 2012 X5 35d BMW SUV is at 175,000 miles, and while still going strong, the wife-mate has been jonesing for a pick up for years, and is deeply concerned that just maybe it's time to retire it from the hard job of dragging the TT around the country. Year and a half ago, we went to see Crazy Horse and Rushmore with it, no issues save for needed a quart of oil.

Anyway, we just sprang for that pick up truck. Hard to believe, but a 2024 Silverado 1500 work truck (bottom of the trim line!) with the smallest "standard" engine cost $45,000, but there it is.

IMG_3450.jpg

It's a gasser. As much as I'd have preferred the 3.0 liter diesel, couldn't find one for less than 60 thou, but surprisingly the 2.7 liter turbo 4 banger puts out 310 hp and 430 pound-feet, which compares favorably with the X5 diesel's 265 hp, 425 pound-feet. As a consequence of standard cab and zero options other than tow package, it has 2,069 lb payload, 1,000 lb tongue weight, and 8,900 lb trailer capacity, compared to the X5's 1,250 lb, 600 lb, and 6,000 lb ratings. 

Still have the same TT, 5,000 lb gross weight, so should be no biggie. Got 14 mpg towing with the X5, be interesting to see what sort of mileage we get with the truck. The X5 is more comfortable, much better seats, heated seats and steering wheel, as well as quieter over all.

But it is one pretty looking truck. The color, btw, is named "Red Hot."

5 REPLIES 5

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Nice truck! And rcsb pickups are pretty rare now. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

You can't even order one with a V8 anymore as I understand it. 

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad

Thank you for your interest. Just so that you know, I particularly wanted the standard cab rather than any sort of extended cab. You should also know that I do not care what the truck will be worth on the market in a few years because I always keep 'em until the wheels fall off and they are completely worn out. I also particularly wanted a 23  or 24 model year because of engine changes/upgrades made in 23. Finally, the engine in this truck is turbocharged, just like the Diesel engine in the X5. I have driven turbo diesels since 2001, and expect this engine to deal with altitude just like those other turbo engines. That diesel X5 and the diesel Jeep that preceded it dragged that trailer over the Rockies several times.

Finally, this engine has a torque curve very nearly identical to that of the 3 liter Duramax, save a little lower at peak and extended out to higher rpm. It was designed that way, it is no accident. My 23 year experience driving diesels informed my decision, and yes, I know I won't get as good mileage on a gallon, but I am looking forward to finding out what I do get.

So, yeah, I coulda . . . but I didn't. If you go to any dealer lot today, you will find the prices on new trucks to be 35% to 50% higher than just a few years ago. While deals can be made, you are still going to pay more for new than for used. It has ever been thus.

td1837
Explorer II
Explorer II

Could have bought a newer used diesel crew cab for the price you paid for the 1500 single cab. The diesel hold their value so much better than the single cab gassers. Your new truck will be worth a LOT less in a couple of years. Plus the diesel pull like no tomorrow...lot safer in higher altitudes and going up and down mountains.

On what planet? What do you consider "newer?" You're not going to get anything diesel around here for $45,000 that isn't 10+ years old, and by then the body is falling off.

For a 5000lb trailer I'd rather have a brand new truck with the warranty and the favorable discounts and financing, rather than overpaying for an old rust bucket that was someone else's problem.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.