cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Ex-Pat area for full time residency

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering moving out of the US to experience another part of the world. We have thought of Mexico, Costa Rico, Belize, Panama each one has plusses and minuses. When reading the blogs it seems a lot of posters are real estate people trying to make a buck.
Do any on this forum have some first or second hand experience to share?

Thanks
Jesseannie
53 REPLIES 53

CampbellDaycrui
Explorer
Explorer
During my career as an aircraft technician, I lived in various places in the Middle East, and spent all my non-working days in Thailand, Nepal, India, the PI, Singapore, Australia, NZ, etc. My schedule was 6wks on and 3 wks off for over a decade, so I spent a bit of time in those places. I began traveling in that part of the world in 1970 at the age of 17 when I hitchhiked from Europe to India over 6months.

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
CampbellDaycruiser wrote:
To a certain extent it depends upon how you feel about living in a country without very much freedom. For example: Thailand is a military dictatorship where foreigners can be imprisoned for critiquing the king. The Philippines is run by a murderous vigilante.

It also matters how you feel about living on an ex-pat island in a sea of locals or living in a society with extreme income inequality where everyone is just scraping by except for the elite who run everything.

For some folks, as long as they are the ones on top this is irrelevant and I suppose that as long as you never leave the safety and security of the bubble it does not matter. Like a trip to Dubai: just ignore the near-slaves building the malls and high rises and don't worry about the religious police since they often do not target foreigners. But IMHO, sooner or later the real world intrudes and makes it impossible to ignore what it is really like in your new home for the ordinary citizens.

I think your view of the situation is skewed at best and my guess is you have never been to the Philippines or Thailand or spent any real time there.

Thailand is a very free country in terms of freedom of the press, movement and speech. The current Military Government is one of a long line of such that usually takes over when the democratically elected governments fail miserably. If you talk to many Thais they will express a higher degree of confidence in the Military than their elected leaders.

This particular government was brought about by the failure of Thaksin Shinawatras Daughter as head of the government. The other issue at hand was the continual unrest between the RED and Yellow factions.

With the imminent demise of the King unrest was a real factor. The Yellows were royalists and wanted to retain a strong monarchy, the Reds wanted a weak monarchy more akin to that of Cambodia.

Since the military has taken over there has been relative peace. But only very rarely do the internal politics of the country affect the tourist or expat.

I have lived and traveled there under both types of government and can tell you that for the expat there is little or no effective difference. Thailand for the retired foreigner is a peaceful and great place to live.

And when you live as a guest in another country it's only good manners not to go around getting involved in their politics or dissing their beloved King.

As for the Philippines more Social Security checks go to there than any other country and in fact the embassy has a full time SSA official on site. Lots of Americans especially ex servicemen have moved there.

As for the current president of the Philippines? well he bears an uncanny resemblance to some other politicians currently running for office around the world and some recently elected. He is an idiot for sure this I can agree with.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
NJRVer wrote:

It also matters how you feel about living on an ex-pat island in a sea of locals or living in a society with extreme income inequality where everyone is just scraping by except for the elite who run everything.

Sounds like a lot of areas I have been through in this country too.

Agreed. It's hard to look inward and see that things are pretty much the same in most of the planet. Being from one country today doesn't make you any better than anyone else.

What is democracy anyway and where does it really exist? There are 47 million Americans living below the poverty line. The same in Mexico. Take a trip through the southern U.S. and see people that in reality are still indentured servants. They live on a huge farm, pay for their shack, food and services to the man. Drug and sex traffiking abound. Illegals are used for below minimum wage jobs because no one else will take them.

It's the human condition.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer

Sounds like a lot of areas I have been through in this country too.

CampbellDaycrui
Explorer
Explorer
To a certain extent it depends upon how you feel about living in a country without very much freedom. For example: Thailand is a military dictatorship where foreigners can be imprisoned for critiquing the king. The Philippines is run by a murderous vigilante.

For some folks, as long as they are the ones on top this is irrelevant and I suppose that as long as you never leave the safety and security of the bubble it does not matter. Like a trip to Dubai: just ignore the near-slaves building the malls and high rises and don't worry about the religious police since they often do not target foreigners. But IMHO, sooner or later the real world intrudes and makes it impossible to ignore what it is really like in your new home for the ordinary citizens.

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
jesseannie wrote:

My mom used to say if you can't say something nice don't say anything. Some of you need that advice.
Jesseannie

so you think that if somebody asks for opinions/information on a specific rV or setup, and a member knows of all kinds of horrible information, they should not bring it up?
bumpy

No but the argument about assimilation into our culture had nothing to do with the topic. You know very well what I was referring to.
Jesseannie

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
Just a bit about language and the fear of not finding English where you decide to retire: English at some level is spoken almost the world over in areas frequented by tourists.

The chances are that wherever you choose to go people that you deal with will speak some English. And when you make any attempt to speak their language they will be pleased and very willing to help you along.

The so called "language Barrier" is no reason to stop yourself from considering retiring overseas.

Again my top countries for consideration and you must carefully look at their monthly or total income requirements for residency (some have changed) are:

Thailand
Nicaragua
Philippines

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
I know of people living in Mexico,they like it,,I wouldnt ever go there due to criminal activity bc of drugs..
Ive also heard of many people from US and Europe retiring in Thailand,its allegedly very cheap..there are plenty of vids on YT if youre interested

If I could learn the language,Japan would be one of the nicest places to live if one dont mind ocasional earthquake..very safe,,no drugs or gun crime,,polite people and services are exceptional wherever you go..
Higly recomend visiting at least once
https://youtu.be/R5FWDENv-bI

https://youtu.be/NHD4ZgmmyXk
I used to live in Europe and was in many countries,but wouldnt live there..too expensive and crowded..
I like four seasons so live in southern Ontario next to motor city,cheap housing and food,hot summers and short mild winters..perfect for me..travel once or twice a year when not busy with my hobbies..

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jesseannie wrote:

My mom used to say if you can't say something nice don't say anything. Some of you need that advice.
Jesseannie

so you think that if somebody asks for opinions/information on a specific rV or setup, and a member knows of all kinds of horrible information, they should not bring it up?
bumpy

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the thoughtful responses and will consider and research your recommendations.
I don't appreciate the off topic posts it seems like there are always some that have to ruin a good topic.
Jesseannie

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
A bit off topic, yet has relevance still, and something to think about. There are many languages and even more dialects. Take English as an example. Here in USA, listen to a New Englander, Midwesterner, Southerner, Californian, ghetto. Now throw in Great Britain, Australia, even the English spoken in the islands.
You are 'literate' in English, yet I guarantee that you can be lost in the dialects of your own language...

Spanish is the same as they are all different as well... Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Centro America, Northern part of South America, Southern part. I won't even get into indigenous languages...

Keep in mind that in the USA, we have MANDATORY education, that basically costs nothing to attend (Yes, we pay taxes...) In other countries, many of the so called schools are just a shack with a person trying to teach basic language skills when they themselves are not fully literate in their own language. Bring a handful of beans or corn to pay for your lesson for today. The mothers get beaten for sending the kids to school because the father needs help in the fields.

I have stood outside of many of these places and pondered, what is worse, to learn wrong or not learn at all?... (Don't give a quick answer as it is a deep question...) At least they are trying...

So, if one is not literate in their own language, because of where they are born- without opportunity, how would an 'educated' person expect them to learn another language proficiently?

I love to hear people chastise others with "learn the language"! just because they don't have proper language skills. I ask them how many languages they speak. I am literate (Read, write and speak) in 6 and can hold my own in another 6. I won't get into how many dialects I have as I have traveled extensively, on my own dime, not military. (Yes, I am a cunning linguist :B LOL) No offense intended to our military, Thank you for your service!It is just different being alone, self sufficient, no one to turn to for help so far away from home...
You also can't learn about a country visiting a tourist area. If a person visits Disney for a week, do they know anything about our country? NO. It is a tourist setup. You need at least 30 days in non-tourist areas to even get an idea of what a country/culture is like.

Back on topic.
I have spent much time abroad, had an estate in what is today considered the most dangerous city per capita, in the world, San Pedro Sula, Honduras, C.A. I certainly don't recommend living there now, although the islands are much different than the mainland.

Central America is very economical, yet can be very dangerous and unstable, without many of the conveniences that we take for granted. I will just say that if you aren't well versed in international travel, you might want to think it over a few times... Understand that the world is not like the USA, and when in Rome...

I never did care for Belize. Costa Rica is nice, however it is more expensive than the others.
I am tired of typing, so I will say that I really like Uruguay. Often asked what is my favorite country? The USA of course! We have everything and according to many, deserve it, although I am not quite sure why... YMMV
Inquiring minds want to know...

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
We are living in a globalized world. People are moving from one country to another. Patriotism as many of you know it is now waning. People speak many different languages and when they discover their own kind anywhere they tend to gather and speak their language, use their customs and food.

It's ironic to read this thread. In Mexico there are over 1.5 million Americans living here. In the ex-pat enclaves very few if any speak fluent Spanish and have no intention of doing so. They almost never mix with local people.

Why? That's what human beings do. That said, I wouldn't rely on answers from military people who have traveled the world. Their view is much different than that of a tourist mostly due to their training, living conditions, and the work they perform. It would be a very biased point of view.

To the OP, there are lots of options. The Americas are nice because you're always close to home and if you feel you will need an injection of U.S. Americana you can always find it.

House sitting is another option. Move from country to country not having to worry about residency requirements or moving your stuff. A great way to find the right place to live.

Rving in Mexico, China and Europe are very popular. Friends are now in Spain and love it. Free overnight parking from the Spanish government for rvers all over the place, not to mention inexpensive rv parks unlike in the U.S. There are some truck campers who live and rv in the U.K. and Europe you may want to check them out on the Truck Camper forum here or Austrailians on the Fifth Wheel forum.

Good luck and it's fun living in a foreign country. I never intended on staying in Mexico. 32 years later and I'm still here. Best decision I could have made as far as job opportunities, peace of mind, quality of life, well the list goes on. Wherever you go, learn the language. It takes you to many places that most people will never discover.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
RandACampin wrote:
NYCgrrl wrote:

OUR culture and OUR language is NOT native American......enough said.

:S enough said!

Whaaaaaaaaaa?...do you need me to fill in all the blanks?
I speak many forms of English:W.

Doubt if it will make sense even then, but go ahead.
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

bob2194
Explorer
Explorer
Popsie wrote:
These experiences are not recent:

Our oldest son lived in Panama for several years and liked it - no problems.

We've been to Mexico many times, and were happy with our visits, but wouldn't consider it now due to the news we read about crime. We have friends who own a house in San Miguel de Allende. They used to go down for several months every year and rent it out the rest of the time. Now they only rent it out and do not go down.

We've also visited most of Costa Rica, and found it to be very pleasant and friendly to Americanos, but we didn't live there.

You might consider making a short list and visiting the contenders for a month or so at a time before making a decision. You need to look at the whole situation including taxation and medical care.

When we were in Costa Rica and considering moving there, we could have shipped cars and furniture etc. duty free when relocating, but I've heard that now they tax all your "imports" which is a problem. A good factor then was low cost good quality medical care, but I don't know if that's changed.

best of luck!

I was stationed in Panama while I was in the army> I lived there for 5 years and My wife is from Panama. We love it there. Its cheap lots of other Ex pats. great weather lots of beaches, and they have mountains and the atlantic ocean and Pacific ocean is 50 miles apart. Pretty cheap. The traffic is awful but you can buy a beach hose pretty cheap, and they use american money. Check it out. There is a lot on the internet.
20 year U.S Army veteran and still serving. Vehicle inspector (ARMY)
2018 Radiance 28QB pulled by 2018 F250 STX 6.2 Gasser
Equal-i-zer Hitch