cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nose Sleeper Trailer and SUV/Truck with shell

AHJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I am looking at a new trailer. Its the Nose sleeper from Weekend Warrior. Went and looked at one and the salesperson and I were discussing potential issues with a truck with a shell or SUV and tight turns. I have an excursion I want to tow with it.

These are the only pictures I could find on the net of one hooked to a truck and I cant see the ball mount used. To me looking at it unhooked on the lot was playing tricks on my mind. One angle I thought should be fine another I was like is this doable?

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

So I started to look at options to get the ball further away from my truck but still maintain the weight and it looks like a roll-a-hitch is the longest at 15" from receiver pin to ball and maintained 10000 lbs and a 1000 tongue weight.

Your opinions/suggestions greatly appreciated.

AJ
21 REPLIES 21

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
What about hooking up at a dealer and do some turns in the parking lot?

AHJ
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all your help. I have abandoned this idea. Gonna just go a regular bumper pull. Screw it.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
AHJ wrote:
Dealer says they do not have a tongue scale.

You can do it with a bathroom scale. Scroll down for directions.

Clicky
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
The WD system's leverage is reduced by the extra distance from the truck's rear axle to the hitch ball.

Yes, that is what was referring to

And that the pre-load tension system (those chains, etc) will most
likely need tightening on a regular cycle dependent on the stresses
they will encounter. The frequency and amplitude of those stresses
will stretch the pre-tension system

I know of no receiver/shank that has ZERO play. Add the addition of
another set of interfaces to this and that slop will be magnified
by each new interface

Just my opinion and not for me. Do like that trailer and something
added to my list of things to consider...but that would be with a
very different TV setup for me
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

AHJ
Explorer
Explorer
I cant get a hold of anyone at Omega but I think I figured out the difference potentially. This trailer holds 3 propane bottles. IF they were full you are looking at 120 lbs plus 980 gets to 1100. I have to wonder if they planned on two batteries weigh another 120 lbs.

AHJ
Explorer
Explorer
well the tongue wieght may be an issue. WW website says its 980 lbs and omega says its 1100 lbs. I am maxed at 1200 lbs with the supertruss out enough for the excursion to clear the cab completely. this may be the killer. Dealer says they do not have a tongue scale.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
The WD system's leverage is reduced by the extra distance from the truck's rear axle to the hitch ball.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
BenK wrote:
These extensions all have too much sloop

Sloop...?!?!?

Did you mean "slop"?

Torklift SuperHitch with SuperHitch extensions don't have slop in them I've towed probably 30,000 miles with my truck and trailer(s). No issues at all. Once trip I took, the trailer was over 10,000 lbs.
I run either a 21" or 24" extension. I don't recall which size I own.

BenK wrote:
reduces the leverage of any WD Hitch system

What reduces the leverage? (your post doesn't make much sense)
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking trailer, especially the graphics. I like stepping away from the mundane sometimes.

Bedlam
This what my F250 looked like with F350 suspension and Torklift StableLoads. Notice the stabilizer bar in the second photo that will also fit your Excursion.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

AHJ
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks bedlam, got a B and V code spring swap going in the next 2 weeks so should be good to go. Thanks for looking out for me though! Torklift customer service on the phone has been outstanding Just as you mentioned. Figured out the math on the required extension from my wife. If i desire to go past the trailer on a sharp turn the extension needs to be 1/2 the width of my excursion. Excursion is 80" . Torklift says you will lose 2" of the extension into the receiver. So a 42" puts me at 40" away from the X then add another probably 4" for my ball mount for WD hitch. Should be perfect just will look a little funky rolling down the road!

Bedlam
Forklift support is excellent and can answer more questions than me. If you need real life questions or long term perspectives feel free to ask me. Your Excursion uses the same axle but softer springs than my F250. You may need some help in the back and StableLoads from the same company may be a better option than bags.

AHJ
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info on the torklift. I called them and with using their super hitch, with their super truss extsenion and any rate WD hitch I can maintain Towing 12000 and TW 1200 up to 48" from the Excursion. Now I dont imagine I need to go out that far. They offer 21", 24", 28" and so on extensions. Bottom line is I want to tow with my Excursion. Its a super comfortable towing machine and I can bring kids and each can bring a friend. I do also have an F350 but its a not as friendly traveler with kids along for the ride.

So I am not too much concerned with the overall length while towing with adding an extension. I want the smaller footprint for the smaller campsites I like to go to and for storage as I dont have parking at my home. As you know the longer it is the more you pay. Once I park it the extension and everything else is removed I am back to 28' overall length. Also if backing it in is tough (my Mount Rainier nightmare) with the extension I have front hitch on the excursion I could throw in and drive it right in. We dont have traditional "toys" mountain bikes, kayaks all super-light stuff and I hate putting my kayaks on the roof of the X.

Anything else with somewhat comparable arrangement in toyhaulers is about 3' to 4' longer overall length. When I say comparable I mean, double queens in the back, a bed up front (yes I know this one is not as comfortable because its not a walk around but I am still limber enough to crawl up there), and facing couches or couch/chair combo.

So call me crazy but I love the floorplan. I would say if your over 6'1 sleeping up front is a no-go. If your spouse is also over 6' a no-go unless you throw the kids up there but for me at 5'10" I can sleep all the way to the front of the cab full extended with some inches to spare.

Bedlam
It gives more interior space in less length if you have a open pickup, but I don't see that advantage if you have to run an extension. If the rest of the layout works well for the OP, it may be worth the effort to make it work with the Excursion.

I think my bumper pull Weekend Warrior FB2200 with almost 16' of cargo space was one of most compact toy haulers with the biggest capacities.